Jump to topic:

Looking for an anime debate topic

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2009 11:10:46 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Being the world's oldest anime fan, I have been trying to think up a good debate topic. So far I haven't come up with anything very good, so maybe someone out there has ideas.

I don't think the "X could beat Y" topics are very interesting. I had thought of "God could beat Ichigo in fair fight." (Ichigo is the boundlessly improving character in Bleach.) I'd take the side of God, because even though Ichigo would soon be stronger, God could use sarcasm and Ichigo couldn't cope with that.

Another thought was "The anime Initial D is not about car racing." The problem with that is that in the opening argument I'd have to say that Initial D is really about the role of passion in life, and everyone would agree.

So what I'm thinking about is something to with Japanese culture as reflected in anime. Anime does not necessarily reflect real Japanese life, any more than than American movies necessarily reflect American life. So there might be something like "The role of family loyalty as depicted in anime is better than the role of family loyalty in American society." That does have a problem with comparing something idealized to something real.

The thing that is interesting about anime is that a different society that works well. A whole lot is different. Anime has far better monsters, for example. They also have three and four sided plots (like Mahoromatic with ordinary humans, the aliens, "management," rebel management) uncommon in Western pop culture. They are more food obsessed.

So there should be some good social issues to debate. Ideas?
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2009 12:56:22 PM
Potential topics:
Fansubbing (http://www.urbandictionary.com...)
-Fansubbing hurts/helps the anime industry overall.
-Fansub quality has decreased dramatically over the past 15-20 years.

See videos for a documentary on fansubbing and how they are worse today. While I sort of disagree with Otaking, I think he makes some good points.

Modern anime contains too much fanservice. (http://www.urbandictionary.com...)

"Moe" anime are negatively affecting the anime industry and community. (http://www.urbandictionary.com...)

Just some ideas.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2009 4:19:59 PM
Interesting ideas.

Could anime have too much fanservice? I hadn't thought of that.

The urban dictionary link has a definition of moe I had never heard of, as being related to a fetish attraction. The definition I'm familiar with is from J-list: "No kanji character represents the heart of the otaku more than moé (sometimes written as moe, but pronounced with an accent on the second syllable, mo-EH), which can be translated as "burning with passion" and refers to both the super-cute female anime characters that make us fall in love with them, as well as the passion fans feel for anime, manga, or whatever they are into."
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2009 4:26:28 PM
Could anime have too much fanservice? I hadn't thought of that.

Obviously you haven't watched Strike Witches. (I'm not complaining though.)

You've got the right definition for moe.

Moes before Bros.
http://img9.imageshack.us...
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2009 11:17:27 AM
At 4/17/2009 10:43:39 AM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:
I don't really know if this is related, but Death Note is the best anime that I have seen in a long time.

You haven't seen enough anime then.
Y_U_K_I
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 8:58:42 PM
I am a huge otaku, and find it amazing to see others in the debate world interested in anime. I would love to debate you. You must be aware, I am a freshman novice, and new to the debate community, but I can go on about any anime related topic for a long time. :) You seem incredibly legit, (In the otaku sense) and if you have topic ideas, I would love to hear them.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:02:30 PM
At 10/24/2009 8:58:42 PM, Y_U_K_I wrote:
I am a huge otaku, and find it amazing to see others in the debate world interested in anime. I would love to debate you. You must be aware, I am a freshman novice, and new to the debate community, but I can go on about any anime related topic for a long time. :) You seem incredibly legit, (In the otaku sense) and if you have topic ideas, I would love to hear them.

What anime do you watch?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:25:08 PM
At 10/24/2009 9:22:38 PM, mongeese wrote:
Topic idea that's been in my head for a while: Atem's name should have been Exodia.

Sure thing. Lets debate.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:29:29 PM
Wow, I'm blind. For a moment there, I was under the impression that you had said that Atem's head should have been the same as Exodia's. Still, I'm willing to debate. Lets go. :D
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:45:50 PM
Here's an ignorant question that I'm not the least bit embarrassed about:

What is anime? I know it's a type of Japanese cartoon, but what is it about? Is it like manga? What makes it good or bad? The extent of my knowledge was accidentaly catching a Pokemon episode or 2 when I was in 7th grade.
President of DDO
Y_U_K_I
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:50:29 PM
At 10/24/2009 9:02:30 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 10/24/2009 8:58:42 PM, Y_U_K_I wrote:

What anime do you watch?
I will watch almost anything, as long as it is interesting from a plot perspective: IE Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist, Eden of the East, has flawed interesting characters IE Evangellion and is generally interesting. I like some shojo, but lately the shojo coming out has been of the annoying sort that I tend to stay away from. I adore Skip Beat though. I am a sucker for a great heroine.
http://myanimelist.net...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:51:52 PM
At 10/24/2009 9:45:50 PM, theLwerd wrote:

What is anime? I know it's a type of Japanese cartoon, but what is it about? Is it like manga? What makes it good or bad? The extent of my knowledge was accidentaly catching a Pokemon episode or 2 when I was in 7th grade.

Lol, same.
Y_U_K_I
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:55:00 PM

An anime can be about pretty much anything, just as you can have books about anything. There are anime aimed at children, to shows aimed at teenagers such as BLEACH, to philosophical pieces such as Ghost in the Shell or Evangellion. There is a diverse selection of anime available, just as with books.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 9:57:17 PM

Word usage

In Japan, the term anime does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it serves as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.[14][15] English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan".[16] Non-Japanese works that borrow stylization from anime are commonly referred to as "anime-influenced animation" but it is not unusual for a viewer who does not know the country of origin of such material to refer to it as simply "anime". Some works are co-productions with non-Japanese companies, such as most of the traditionally animated Rankin/Bass works, the Cartoon Network and Production I.G series IGPX or Ōban Star-Racers; different viewers may or may not consider these anime.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Basically (and what mostly any English speaking person here who refers to it), animated series made in Japan or with Japanese influence (though the latter is probably debatable).
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 10:09:01 PM
At 10/24/2009 10:03:48 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
OUTLAW STAR.............any1?

That's like one of the first anime I've ever seen. What about it?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:55:12 AM
Ok, well what's the appeal? For instance, why is an anime any better than other cartoons? Why are so many people obsessed with it? How would you know what makes one good or bad?
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:56:17 AM
At 10/24/2009 9:25:08 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 10/24/2009 9:22:38 PM, mongeese wrote:
Topic idea that's been in my head for a while: Atem's name should have been Exodia.

Sure thing. Lets debate.

Next weekend.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:02:13 AM
At 10/25/2009 8:55:12 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Ok, well what's the appeal? For instance, why is an anime any better than other cartoons? Why are so many people obsessed with it? How would you know what makes one good or bad?

http://img5.imageshack.us...

As John would put it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:12:26 AM
At 10/25/2009 10:02:13 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

As John would put it.

Wow. And all along I thought I was the gay one.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:13:08 AM
At 10/25/2009 10:12:26 AM, theLwerd wrote:

As John would put it.

Eh, jk. I'll watch one sometime maybe if I come across it. Suggestions?
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:23:50 AM
I heavily favour Full Metal Panic. Then again, we don't seem to share many tastes when it comes to that medium of entertainment.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 12:04:33 PM

Generally, the anime I watch have a lot more depth than the typical American cartoon. I'm typically interested in the stuff with a nice well thought-out underlying message and reltable characters (to a certain extent). Whereas there is little to nothing I can get out of watching most american cartoons, many of the Japanese seem to have writers who put enough work into their series as to where the adults can also get a lot out of it.

Of course, my description is no doubt pretty broad, but the point I'm making is that I don't see it as mindless entertainment as I would most American series. But that's just me. I can't say for sure how it appeals to mostly everyone else.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 12:07:11 PM

As John would put it.

Where does Ghost in the Shell or Monster fit into that?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 12:09:11 PM
At 10/25/2009 10:13:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/25/2009 10:12:26 AM, theLwerd wrote:

As John would put it.

Eh, jk. I'll watch one sometime maybe if I come across it. Suggestions?

Try Death Note.