Jump to topic:

Your Conception of Opera

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:41:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would like to ask what is so fascinating about opera [to those who like it]: what are the components of opera that make such a beloved art form? Is it the diverse range of singing, from the mellifluous soprano voice to the darker, baritone notes and tunes, that matters? The structure, arias, characters, or even the music? Does the poetry in the libretto matter, or are words and phrases completely irrelevant in this case?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:58:40 PM
At 7/23/2011 4:41:12 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I would like to ask what is so fascinating about opera [to those who like it]: what are the components of opera that make such a beloved art form? Is it the diverse range of singing, from the mellifluous soprano voice to the darker, baritone notes and tunes, that matters? The structure, arias, characters, or even the music? Does the poetry in the libretto matter, or are words and phrases completely irrelevant in this case?

If you don't appreciate or like the music, speak the language or know the libretto, care for the style of the composer, don't really have an appreciation for the instrumentation, have substandard performers - opera can be torture.

But, if you actually can get into it, it can be as engrossing as falling into a really good book.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 5:09:13 PM
http://img16.imageshack.us...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 5:32:41 PM
At 7/23/2011 5:09:13 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
http://img16.imageshack.us...

(laughs) Yeah, this wasn't for an elitist class who is willing to display their love for opera. If you dislike opera, then you may list the reasons so for such a disliking.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 5:56:49 PM
For the record, it took me a long time to appreciate opera, and the bulk of it i still can't stand. I love Mozart and started through him, and then got into some of the other classic operas, but i just can't bring myself into liking Puccini, and Wagner was fine for a couple months, then i started to hate it. Lots of opera can be some overly dramatic la bella donna prancing around screaching.
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 6:54:18 PM
Is it the diverse range of singing, from the mellifluous soprano voice to the darker, baritone notes and tunes, that matters?

No, it's the power tenors peeling the paint off the walls with high C's!

Ex: Di Quella Pira
warning-lullaby-playback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 12:34:13 AM
I would like to ask what is so fascinating about opera [to those who like it]: ...?

People like to have their social and emotional situations put to music? Some melodies represent hope to us, others can give us hope. Some melodies give us hope just by expressing our sadness for us. The same thing is done in other forms of music. An opera is a complete story put to music. If Foo Fighters wrote a complete story to music, that would be an opera. Specific characters or situations have their own motifs. Conflicting agendas of the different characters are presented at first, then in the final scene all those characters are singing their songs together and the composer's job is to blend them all.
I judge a song by its melody, and some of the best melodies are to be found in opera because the point is that the composer has worked the hardest the create them, like the aria in Tannhauser. So I like Wagner and Offenbach for the same reason I like Kings of Leon and Foo Fighters.