Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Is the internet detrimental to music artists?

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:46:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago

We can all admit that the internet changed the way we listen to music. So is the change for the better or for the worse? By this I am referring not to the music industry as a whole, but to the artists themselves. There's a couple things that come to mind for me:

Pro Music Artists:

- Some artists have the opportunity to get their music out there to a wide range of people where they otherwise would have been relatively unknown. I'm thinking of all the great musicians at Candyrat Records. Andy Mckee, one of the best acoustic guitar players alive, admitted the sole reason he has a fan base is through youtube.
-People have access to a wider range of music, and hopefully recognize that what they hear on the radio isn't the best option. Popular music will likely always be successful (just look at the itunes top 10 sellers each week), but now more sophisticated artists will be recognized and have cult followings.

Con Music Artists:

- Music is way more susceptible to being illegally downloaded and distributed
- Youtube can negate longevity of success. People are just a click away from the next greatest artist, ready to leave their old fav's behind. A whole cd doesn't need to be bought. A whole song doesn't even need to be played.
-People can watch the concert videos at their home and might be less inclined to buy tickets. Money from shows/merchandise is one of artist's incomes.
-Putting videos on youtube is pretty much telling an artist's fans that it is okay to listen to their music for free.

This is all speculation as it is fairly difficult to find accurate facts about the music industry. Thoughts?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:48:41 AM
At 8/19/2011 11:46:46 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

We can all admit that the internet changed the way we listen to music. So is the change for the better or for the worse? By this I am referring not to the music industry as a whole, but to the artists themselves. There's a couple things that come to mind for me:

Pro Music Artists:

- Some artists have the opportunity to get their music out there to a wide range of people where they otherwise would have been relatively unknown. I'm thinking of all the great musicians at Candyrat Records. Andy Mckee, one of the best acoustic guitar players alive, admitted the sole reason he has a fan base is through youtube.
-People have access to a wider range of music, and hopefully recognize that what they hear on the radio isn't the best option. Popular music will likely always be successful (just look at the itunes top 10 sellers each week), but now more sophisticated artists will be recognized and have cult followings.

Con Music Artists:

- Youtube can negate longevity of success. People are just a click away from the next greatest artist, ready to leave their old fav's behind. A whole cd doesn't need to be bought. A whole song doesn't even need to be played.
-People can watch the concert videos at their home and might be less inclined to buy tickets. Money from shows/merchandise is one of artist's top incomes.
-Putting videos on youtube is pretty much telling an artist's fans that it is okay to listen to their music for free.

This is all speculation as it is fairly difficult to find accurate facts about the music industry. Thoughts?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:51:32 AM
It's definitely a positive for music artists! It would be an interesting debate though, as in not the typical debate on God or abortion. If anyone thinks it would be more negative for artists then I'll take them up on that :P
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 12:17:27 PM
Classical music is good for the mind. Its availability on the internet to further enlighten our society is a powerful virtue. :)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 12:31:26 PM
@ danielle, unless someone else wants to, i'll go ahead and get my @$$ kicked by the top member, LOL. i kind of agree that its more beneficial, but it is a really fun topic. I'd need about a week or so before i could start it though

@00ike, have you seen the episode of myth busters where they played music for plants? the plants grew more abundantly when exposed to metal music over classical, isn't that crazy? (some metal is pretty advanced.) not that it would necessarily stimulate people in the same way but it's something to ponder...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 12:32:05 PM
Con Music Artists:

I don't think "illegal" downloads are necessarily a bad thing for the artists. Downloads are only "illegal" because the music industry makes them so. The music industry takes a huge percentage of what the artist would have earned so "illegal" downloads doesn't really make a lot of difference.

Technology is evolving and artists have to stay competitive in order to succeed. This means constantly bringing out new and better hits and not relying on their old ones.

-People can watch the concert videos at their home and might be less inclined to buy tickets. Money from shows/merchandise is one of artist's incomes.

People will still go to concerts regardless. Listening to a concert video at home is absolutely nothing compared to going to a concert. I recently went to a concert by the Dirtyheads and liked the songs so much and tried listening to those songs on youtube. It was nothing like the original. In fact, it made me want to go to more concerts.

It is okay to listen for free, just as it is okay to look at an artist's painting in a gallery for free.

My thoughts boil down to this: The recording industry makes new artists sign abusive long-term contracts and the artists usually have no choice so they sign them because this is the only way to get fans and exposure. When the artist becomes successful, they don't need to record label and the low pay that the label gives them while keeping profits for themselves. But they are stuck with the contract that they signed. With youtube, they don't need a record label to get exposure and this long term abuse of artists will decline or stop.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:02:29 PM
At 8/19/2011 12:32:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
My thoughts boil down to this: The recording industry makes new artists sign abusive long-term contracts and the artists usually have no choice so they sign them because this is the only way to get fans and exposure. When the artist becomes successful, they don't need to record label and the low pay that the label gives them while keeping profits for themselves. But they are stuck with the contract that they signed. With youtube, they don't need a record label to get exposure and this long term abuse of artists will decline or stop.

While that will be ideal, unless there is some sort of musical revolution, record companies will find a way to stay in power. for the simple fact that people are impressionable and think they can get a big break. people don't join labels just for the exposure. The reason record companies continue to work is because of the fact that they have
"upfront" money for the individual use to make a record, produce a tour, etc. Seems like youtube would be a great way for major record execs to find their next minions.
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:21:00 PM
It is in my opinion that the internet has hurt music artistry in profound ways. A lot more people used to e able to make a living as a musician, selling albums, but I guess this will be a thing of the past in the near future. Music pirating has diminished such things, and therefor has changed the face of the music industry. As soon as the internet became and everyday appliance in the 1990's, music changed and hasn't been the same ever since.

This is only my opinion of course.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 5:24:23 PM
Now that I think on it some more, the internet is actually the best thing for prodigies/ masters of the art. To make it in today's music industry, you have to have a certain amount of drive and networking capabilities. this comes with a give and take of how much one hones their talent. some of the best musicians are those who coop themselves up in their room for hours at a time working on their music. they might not get the chance to meet the right person, or to spread their talent to a wide range people. but the internet gives that opportunity right from home. so those musicians who are most skilled can benefit the most. this might be detrimental in the long run to those who rely more on image and drive (which is actually good for music.) of course, to some extent, people will still listen to music based off popularity and image rather than talent.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 5:30:59 PM
At 8/19/2011 5:21:00 PM, Lionheart wrote:
It is in my opinion that the internet has hurt music artistry in profound ways. A lot more people used to e able to make a living as a musician, selling albums, but I guess this will be a thing of the past in the near future. Music pirating has diminished such things, and therefor has changed the face of the music industry. As soon as the internet became and everyday appliance in the 1990's, music changed and hasn't been the same ever since.

so do you think there is a way to get past the pirating, and keep the music industry in tact? i know a lot of musicians rely on their tours and merchandise as a prime income, and usually don't even keep most of that, because the record companies take all the album sales profits, and also take what upfront money they gave the musician to record the album, make videos, etc.

there needs to be a different way of doing it. companies that give loans to musicians without making profit off of them. record labels should be banned. this is something i would debate on.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:46:13 PM
At 8/20/2011 5:30:59 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 8/19/2011 5:21:00 PM, Lionheart wrote:

so do you think there is a way to get past the pirating, and keep the music industry in tact? i know a lot of musicians rely on their tours and merchandise as a prime income, and usually don't even keep most of that, because the record companies take all the album sales profits, and also take what upfront money they gave the musician to record the album, make videos, etc.

there needs to be a different way of doing it. companies that give loans to musicians without making profit off of them. record labels should be banned. this is something i would debate on.

I have some thoughts on this subject.

1.) As soon as music recording and copying technology became bore publicly available in the 1980's, that's where it started. The difference in copying music on a cassette tape was that some tapes weren't possible to copy, and others didn't have as good of quality. The better quality, cheap price, and artwork of the retail cassette tapes made them much more desirable to copied tapes. Also, there wasn't as much technology in the 80's ad people were more passionate fans of music artists and groups in general. There is no way to prove this, you would have had to have lived in all 3 decades to understand.

2.) Then CDs and CD burners came out and replaced cassette tape technology. This gave far better quality to copied versions, as the copied versions were nerly identical to the originals. At this same time, hime computers started to become very popular and the internet was just getting it's feet wet as a way to receive and transmit information. With the combination of great copy quality and the rising function of the internet, we reach the next change.

3.) Digital media and the internet are replacing not only music, but many other forms of entertainment profiting as well. That would be great in a different socio-economic system, but not in our current one. In our current one, industries need profits in order to motivate and thrive. Almost everyone I know uses digital media, especially for music and videos. Myself included. I don't even remember the last time I actually bought a published CD. I do still buy DVDs and BluRay discs, but this will soon change when hard drives become integrated into Television setups and all media can be stored digitally. This is already becoming commonplace with home consoles. I would say video game consoles, but they are not just used for vido games any longer. Both Playstation and XBOX are used for music, movies, video games, and web browsing. Technology being integrated into everything and media copies being so easy to produce and transfer freely among people, this is the start of many things to come. It may change the face of our entire socio-economic system eventually. Even physical stores are being replaced by internet websites and internet shopping. Technology has changed the face of our planet and our current socio-economic system will have to adapt accordingly.

The entertainment sector will never die, but the dynamic has forever changed.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
ldavis205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 10:25:58 PM
I think that the internet is a great tool for artists. With the internet, artists can post videos on YouTube to gain popularity. Often someone won't want to buy a song until they've heard it all the way through, and YouTube is a source for that. Look at Justin Bieber! Without YouTube, it would have been way harder for him to become famous. The money he is losing due to free downloadable songs is nothing compared to the money he wouldn't have had he not been discovered.

While many songs are copied and easily downloaded on the internet for free, this problem is age old and not only because of the internet. Pirating has always been an issue for audio as well as for movies and TV shows. Even if we didn't have the internet and these ways to get free music so easily, we could still get music for free by simply popping a friend's CD into our computer and downloading the music they paid for. Even without the internet, artists would still be cheated. They're better off being cheated than having no money at all as an undiscovered talent.
Laura D :)