Jump to topic:

Classical Music is Superior to Modern

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 1:35:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The names are just generalizations. This is what I really mean.

Classical Music = all instrumental music in human history and today (not necessarily the genre itself)

Modern Music = all music where 1 or more instruments are electric or derived from a keyboard. Containing synthetic tones.

Everything in life is replicated by an electronic device. For the animal brain, we have computers. For the paint and the canvas we have the digital software. For the grand piano, we have the keyboard. Being that they are imitations, does that render the music of modern electronic instruments inferior to the original instruments once more commonly used?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:04:07 PM
DOSBOX is imitation DOS.

It runs faster than DOS.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:12:03 PM
At 8/26/2011 2:04:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
DOSBOX is imitation DOS.

It runs faster than DOS.

you entirely missed the point. Acoustic and traditional music vs. techy and synthetic music. Video 1 vs Video 2. What you mentioned were both technological.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:20:29 PM
There's an enormous range of modern music. Much of it does not resemble classical music whatsoever. Hell, you have the entire additional of vocals, bass guitar and electric guitar. I just don't really see the imitation of the classical artists. You can claim the classical artists are "better" but the idea that modern music is some kind of "knock off" of classical music is absurd.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:23:48 PM
Being that they are imitations, does that render the music of modern electronic instruments inferior
Premise: Imitations are always inferior.

Premise disproved, need a new premise to argue that electronic instruments are always inferior to acoustic. Anecdotes are just that btw.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:29:12 PM
At 8/26/2011 2:20:29 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
There's an enormous range of modern music. Much of it does not resemble classical music whatsoever. Hell, you have the entire additional of vocals, bass guitar and electric guitar. I just don't really see the imitation of the classical artists. You can claim the classical artists are "better" but the idea that modern music is some kind of "knock off" of classical music is absurd.

Is anyone actually reading what I wrote?

1. I didn't make a claim, I asked a question. The title is just to invite opinions.

2. I didn't say modern music is a knockoff of classical. I said that electric instruments and keyboard synthetic tones are a knock off of the acoustic.

3. I defined classical music as instrumentals, and NOT the genre. You are clearly referring to classical music the genre.

4. vocals and acoustic guitars are a part of classical music, so they're not new....

5. The question, which has yet to be answered, is: Is the music created by knockoff instruments inferior to that created by the acoustic.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:30:46 PM
That particular video was a comparison on your terms-- direct imitation of classical music, the genre.

Here's a comparison with a modern music genre-- same song, same artists, different instruments. Still an anecdote, but a valid data point at least
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:34:03 PM
Or close to valid anyway. Different production values though.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:21:56 PM
oh, i guess my response is kind of hasty considering your definitions that don't really fit the names you gave them.

i agree that real instruments are superior (they actually take skill and practice) and usually sound better than electronic stuff.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:23:50 PM
At 8/26/2011 3:21:56 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
oh, i guess my response is kind of hasty considering your definitions that don't really fit the names you gave them.

i agree that real instruments are superior (they actually take skill and practice) and usually sound better than electronic stuff.

I believe that's an electric guitar shown in your first video.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:27:32 PM
And in your third.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:30:30 PM
At 8/26/2011 3:27:32 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
And in your third.

touche. 00ike's definitions are somewhat vague and confusing. I retract my retraction :)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:36:08 PM
At 8/26/2011 3:33:50 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
i was referring to real instruments (electric guitar included) as opposed to computer synth.

all music where 1 or more instruments are electric or derived from a keyboard.
OP wasn't.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:44:39 PM
At 8/26/2011 1:35:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
Classical Music = all instrumental music in human history and today (not necessarily the genre itself)

LOL, WTF? Baroque? Romantic? Jazz?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:46:29 PM
This may or may not consist of real instruments by Lickdafoot's definition, but definitely not by 000's
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:49:42 PM
At 8/26/2011 3:46:29 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

This may or may not consist of real instruments by Lickdafoot's definition, but definitely not by 000's

yes, NIN. great song! :)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:52:08 PM
At 8/26/2011 3:44:39 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/26/2011 1:35:32 PM, 000ike wrote:

LOL, WTF? Baroque? Romantic? Jazz?

.....its stuff like this that makes me curse at people. If you would actually read, sir, you'd ee that I said "The names are just generalizations. This is what I really mean." Classical music is just the name I gave all traditional instrumentals, I wasn't defining it. Please pay closer attention next time.
Godsconservativegirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 10:46:32 PM
I agree, Classical Music is definetly Superior to Modern, yes there are some modern music that sounds good, but classical music is real music, people actually playing instruments and singing with excellent real written music. modern music is not really real, they use electronics to make them sound, electric. New isn't always better.
"John 3:16 For God so Loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him shall not perish, but shall have ever lasting life."

God'sconservativegirl :)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 10:55:13 PM
Well, if we are going to go by those definitions..

I'm not too big a fan of synth.

Let's say take, any old instrument... A snare drum for example. Everytime a real person hits a snare drum, it sounds different EVERY time they hit it. With synth instruments, either the snare sounds the same every time it is hit, or it cycles between a few sounds that slightly variate.

My ear prefers the the sound of real instruments if not for that reason alone.

Electrically amplified and altered instruments, however, ARE real instruments, I wouldn't put them in the same category as synth. The electric guitar is like the snare drum. Every time you hit a note, it sounds different.

Truly though, it is all personal preference. One isn't really superior to the other.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 2:15:25 PM
At 10/11/2011 10:55:13 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Well, if we are going to go by those definitions..

I'm not too big a fan of synth.

Let's say take, any old instrument... A snare drum for example. Everytime a real person hits a snare drum, it sounds different EVERY time they hit it. With synth instruments, either the snare sounds the same every time it is hit, or it cycles between a few sounds that slightly variate.

My ear prefers the the sound of real instruments if not for that reason alone.

Electrically amplified and altered instruments, however, ARE real instruments, I wouldn't put them in the same category as synth. The electric guitar is like the snare drum. Every time you hit a note, it sounds different.

Truly though, it is all personal preference. One isn't really superior to the other.

Classical music is superior to most of the garbage out here now though.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:24:53 PM
I like Mozart, but by Beethoven the classical period was getting tired, and I can't stand impressionist. Having said that what passes for music today, isn't.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:29:51 PM
As someone else pointed out--Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just as good as any classical piece.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:31:14 PM
At 10/31/2011 6:29:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
As someone else pointed out--Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just as good as any classical piece, in my opinion.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:32:47 PM
At 10/31/2011 6:31:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
As someone else pointed out--Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just as good as any classical piece, in my opinion.

Were you going to respond, or did you accidentally submit too early?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:34:06 PM
At 10/31/2011 6:32:47 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

no, I wasn't going to respond. But if you notice, I amended your post. With that fixed, theres not much left to respond to.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:35:22 PM
At 10/31/2011 6:34:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/31/2011 6:32:47 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

no, I wasn't going to respond. But if you notice, I amended your post. With that fixed, theres not much left to respond to.

Oh. lol. The IMO addition is something I would say, so I kind of just assumed I said it.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:36:54 PM
As much as I love classical music, I do have to contend that much of it does seem tired and affected, in comparison to modern music. It's ridiculous to claim that music A is better than music B, especially if both can be used successfully at different times...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 6:37:53 PM
At 10/31/2011 6:36:54 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
As much as I love classical music, I do have to contend that much of it does seem tired and affected, in comparison to modern music. It's ridiculous to claim that music A is better than music B, especially if both can be used successfully at different times...

Objectively, no. Subjectively, yes.