Jump to topic:

Does an Art degree make you an artist?

Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 10:32:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
During my career as an artist, I have met many talented artists with and without a degree in Art. Yet, in some circles, the idea continues to persist than one cannot possibly be a "true" professional in the arts without possessing that all-important university degree, (and the higher, the better). Is this what makes one an artist? Or does it simply mean that one has (perhaps) learned more techniques for making art? Does art come from one's mind and soul, or from the teachings of a university, or must they come from both? Finally, do you think that judgments made about the value of someone's art based solely upon whether they have a degree (or not) in Art are fair?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:01:12 AM
yes. A dirty bathtub, a camera, and access to a publishing company also makes you an artist.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:10:16 AM
You do not need a degree in art to be an artist.

The people who think otherwise are being pretentious fuckwads, probably because of all the money they've invested into their precious little piece of paper.

If you go through all that schooling, and spend all that money, you are going to feel the need to raise your nose at people.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:10:21 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:01:12 AM, 000ike wrote:
yes. A dirty bathtub, a camera, and access to a publishing company also makes you an artist.

So, if you do not have a degree in art, but draw, or paint, or make music or otherwise engage in producing "art", does that mean you are not really an artist because you lack the degree?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:12:01 AM
No...the ability to draw and create art rests on assets that are unrelated to an 'art degree'...One doesn't need to have a degree merely to paint or to sculpture beautifully.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:12:26 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:10:16 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

The people who think otherwise are being pretentious fuckwads, probably because of all the money they've invested into their precious little piece of paper.

If you go through all that schooling, and spend all that money, you are going to feel the need to raise your nose at people.

Do you think that is the cause of a lot of "snobbery" surrounding the arts?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:13:22 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:10:21 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:

So, if you do not have a degree in art, but draw, or paint, or make music or otherwise engage in producing "art", does that mean you are not really an artist because you lack the degree?

My original comment already answers this question. Art is subjective, people call anything art, therefore the term "artist" is lost in the wind as well.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:14:39 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:12:01 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
No...the ability to draw and create art rests on assets that are unrelated to an 'art degree'...One doesn't need to have a degree merely to paint or to sculpture beautifully.

I quite agree - yet my experiences with snobbery in the art world tell me otherwise in a lot of cases. Those with degrees in art, for example, often receive preferential treatment in competitions and the awarding of grants, projects, etc.. Or has your experience been different?
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:15:36 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:13:22 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/4/2011 11:10:21 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:

My original comment already answers this question. Art is subjective, people call anything art, therefore the term "artist" is lost in the wind as well.

Okay - you have clarified for me.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:17:19 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:14:39 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:
At 9/4/2011 11:12:01 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

I quite agree - yet my experiences with snobbery in the art world tell me otherwise in a lot of cases. Those with degrees in art, for example, often receive preferential treatment in competitions and the awarding of grants, projects, etc.. Or has your experience been different?

I haven't been in any art contests or competitions...though I do find the fact that they receive 'preferential treatment' not unusual...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:17:48 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:12:26 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:

Yes, but being an artist myself, there is a lot of snobbery no matter the education of the artist.

The main cause of snobbery in my opinion is a combination of an inflated sense of self importance, and an inability to wrap one's mind around the absurd. Basically, they take themselves too seriously.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:18:14 AM
Absolutely not. You're an artist if you participate in the creation/portrayal of art, regardless of education. I also like to think that to be an artist, you have to be creating art voluntarily.

For example--I am an artist, because I have participated in practically most forms of art (theatre, spoken word, poetry, writing, dance, visual art even though I'm absolute sh!t at it), even though I don't have a degree in any of it.

Another example--I'd reckon that most people on DDO are artists too.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:20:16 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:17:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Yes, but being an artist myself, there is a lot of snobbery no matter the education of the artist.

The main cause of snobbery in my opinion is a combination of an inflated sense of self importance, and an inability to wrap one's mind around the absurd. Basically, they take themselves too seriously.

Oh, yes, I know--horrid. I've worked with people who feel like they are suddenly the greatest person alive for creating art, like it's a beautiful thing not to be mocked. Which is why I like to create/participate in really absurd art--stuff that almost mocks the whole idea.

Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:27:16 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:20:16 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Oh, yes, I know--horrid. I've worked with people who feel like they are suddenly the greatest person alive for creating art, like it's a beautiful thing not to be mocked. Which is why I like to create/participate in really absurd art--stuff that almost mocks the whole idea.

What do you think about the idea of "recognition" - the idea that if you are truly a professional artist, you must be "recognized" by others - by winning in competitions, by being covered in newspapers and magazines, by being in numerous galleries and "in demand". I rankle at the idea that some reporter at your local newspaper has the power to promote a particular artist, and that the public often relies upon the opinions of a newspaper reporter to determine what is and is not "art". Thoughts?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:29:47 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:18:14 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Absolutely not. You're an artist if you participate in the creation/portrayal of art, regardless of education. I also like to think that to be an artist, you have to be creating art voluntarily.

For example--I am an artist, because I have participated in practically most forms of art (theatre, spoken word, poetry, writing, dance, visual art even though I'm absolute sh!t at it), even though I don't have a degree in any of it.

Art has no definition, mainly because of the metaphorical misuses of the word to describe beauty or any hobby of peoples' over the ages. Perhaps the art community should establish a new name, their original has been robbed.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:30:12 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:27:16 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:
At 9/4/2011 11:20:16 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

What do you think about the idea of "recognition" - the idea that if you are truly a professional artist, you must be "recognized" by others - by winning in competitions, by being covered in newspapers and magazines, by being in numerous galleries and "in demand". I rankle at the idea that some reporter at your local newspaper has the power to promote a particular artist, and that the public often relies upon the opinions of a newspaper reporter to determine what is and is not "art". Thoughts?

I'm definitely NOT a professional artist (still in high school), but really, that idea is bollocks. You're a professional artist when making art is what pays the bills--when it's your PROFESSION. It has nothing to do with recognition.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:31:07 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:29:47 AM, 000ike wrote:

Art has no definition, mainly because of the metaphorical misuses of the word to describe beauty or any hobby of peoples' over the ages. Perhaps the art community should establish a new name, their original has been robbed.

What art community are you referring to? The VISUAL art community?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:33:14 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:31:07 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Case in Point.
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:35:18 AM
True, DetectableNinja, that many define "professional" in terms of making money in a particular field. But would that make Van Gogh "unprofessional"? He only sold one painting in his lifetime. Yet today, his work is certainly recognized and held in high esteem - no doubt about it. As for my work, I have sold enough to help pay the bills, but certainly not enough to be above poverty level. Does that make me "unprofessional", or just "unrecognized", like Vincent Van Gogh?
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:36:54 AM

Any of the arts, really - visual, writing, music, dance, etc. - but I probably sound like I'm coming from the visual standpoint because I'm a visual artist.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:37:07 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:30:12 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
You're a professional artist when making art is what pays the bills--when it's your PROFESSION. It has nothing to do with recognition.

This.

Also, I don't care much for critics or reviewers. As far as I'm concerned, the majority of them are bought out already.

I'd much rather people make their own opinions instead of reading someone elses and going by that.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:37:20 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:33:14 AM, 000ike wrote:

Yes...the arts refers to theater, poetry, visual art, and so on. Its definition has not been set to a great degree, though there are classifications of art: visual arts, literary arts, and performing arts, each encompassing different fields of cultural expression...(Note, these are part of the arts; 'art' usually refers to the visual arts).

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:41:17 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:35:18 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:
True, DetectableNinja, that many define "professional" in terms of making money in a particular field. But would that make Van Gogh "unprofessional"? He only sold one painting in his lifetime. Yet today, his work is certainly recognized and held in high esteem - no doubt about it. As for my work, I have sold enough to help pay the bills, but certainly not enough to be above poverty level. Does that make me "unprofessional", or just "unrecognized", like Vincent Van Gogh?

Maybe my statement was misunderstood or poorly worded. What I MEANT was that being a professional artist implies that that is your primary job--it's what you sought out to do in life. Your CAREER, your PROFESSION.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:43:37 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:37:20 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yes...the arts refers to theater, poetry, visual art, and so on. Its definition has not been set to a great degree, though there are classifications of art: visual arts, literary arts, and performing arts, each encompassing different fields of cultural expression...(Note, these are part of the arts; 'art' usually refers to the visual arts).

Not quite. Virtually anything in the world can be referred to as art and still make sense by its undefined interpretation. That scribble the baby drew is a work of art, the clouds are a work of art, that law is a work of art, this slice of cheese is a work of art. This rock is a work of art. This ocean is a work of art. The moon is a work of art. My laptop, is a work of art. Burritos are a work of art. That mud puddle is a work of art. That ant is a work of art. That bottle of water is a work of art. That stain, that you should probably wash off, is a work of art. The word "art" is a work of art. and so on.
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:47:11 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:37:07 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 9/4/2011 11:30:12 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
You're a professional artist when making art is what pays the bills--when it's your PROFESSION. It has nothing to do with recognition.

This.

Also, I don't care much for critics or reviewers. As far as I'm concerned, the majority of them are bought out already.

I'd much rather people make their own opinions instead of reading someone elses and going by that.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, so many of the public seem to rely on newspaper reporters who seem to cover only certain artists - over and over again - while ignoring others, who, despite selling their work, etc., are passed over by these newspaper (and magazine) reporters. It seems silly that artistic and monetary success should rely so heavily on newspaper reporters - don't you think? Yet, once an artist has been covered by their local newspaper and/or a "prestigious" magazine, artistic and monetary success often follow. (That is, if you define artistic and monetary success in these terms).
Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:49:24 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:41:17 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/4/2011 11:35:18 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:

Maybe my statement was misunderstood or poorly worded. What I MEANT was that being a professional artist implies that that is your primary job--it's what you sought out to do in life. Your CAREER, your PROFESSION.

I agree with your definition. One can have a passion in life - an all-consuming passion, as was the case with Vincent Van Gogh, yet monetary success can elude them. Vincent Van Gogh was an artist above all else, yet never recognized monetarily or otherwise, during his lifetime.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:49:24 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:43:37 AM, 000ike wrote:

Not quite. Virtually anything in the world can be referred to as art and still make sense by its undefined interpretation. That scribble the baby drew is a work of art, the clouds are a work of art, that law is a work of art, this slice of cheese is a work of art. This rock is a work of art. This ocean is a work of art. The moon is a work of art. My laptop, is a work of art. Burritos are a work of art. That mud puddle is a work of art. That ant is a work of art. That bottle of water is a work of art. That stain, that you should probably wash off, is a work of art. The word "art" is a work of art. and so on.

That's only by your interpretation...My response follows the traditional classification of the arts. Yours presume, that because art is not definite or bound by definition, it can refer to anything--this rock, burritoes, mud puddles, and so on.

Playitagainsam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:51:39 AM

Agreed. The definition of art, then, in my opinion, would be "all of creation - and anything created."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:53:30 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:51:39 AM, Playitagainsam wrote:

Agreed. The definition of art, then, in my opinion, would be "all of creation - and anything created."

My personal definition of art is anything that's created, BUT with the purpose of self-expression/to convey a message.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:55:00 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:49:24 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

That's only by your interpretation...My response follows the traditional classification of the arts. Yours presume, that because art is not definite or bound by definition, it can refer to anything--this rock, burritoes, mud puddles, and so on.

Didn't you see the point I was making? Words have definition, art does not. Words have socially agreed meanings so we can form a language, art does not. The fact that I can even have my own interpretation THAT outlandish and still correct grammatically should show you that on the large scale, art is anything you perceive it to be.