Jump to topic:

Classical Music?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 4:37:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Almost like a dead language, this form of music has far too small an audience compared to the other genres. What kind of people listen to classical music? What kind of personality do they have? Why is that personality missing or less abundant in today's society?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 4:56:53 PM
I listen to a very eclectic mix of music--including classical. Of course, the classical I listen to is cliched, or what the hipster may call "mainstream." I love listening to La donna e mobile, the 1812 Overture, things of that nature...

And I enter my own little world every time I hear Ode to Joy--one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever heard.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 5:00:54 PM
At 9/22/2011 4:37:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
Almost like a dead language, this form of music has far too small an audience compared to the other genres. What kind of people listen to classical music? What kind of personality do they have? Why is that personality missing or less abundant in today's society?

I listen to classical music all of the time. Ballad of a dead princess is one of my favorite pieces.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 5:59:19 PM

Why do you think personality is related to musical tastes? It could be, but I've never heard of something like that.

Anyway, I enjoy classical music. Chopin's Nocture Op. 9 No. 2 is my favourite :)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 3:27:30 AM

I went to Tanglewood over the summer and the concert was sold out as usual, and the tickets average about $85 a seat. During the winter concerts the Boston Symphony is hugely attended, and again the tickets are expensive. I agree that the audience isn't a mass market, but it does pull in a good number of people that are interested in this form of music. Who listens? Generally older wealthier people, more educated, and often Jewish or Asian, but lots of old Yankee types up here are the ones who attend. I have no actual stats to back that up, but just my personal observation. I can say it is safe to assume that Carlos was the only Nicaraguan in the audience.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 11:05:02 AM
Classical is very it or miss with me. There are some pieces that I absolutely love, but most of it sounds very cliche to me, especially newer pieces. From a purely musical composition outlook, I very much appreciate the technicality of it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 12:10:11 PM
I like classical music, but again I like at least a bit of every genre. I think less people listen to classical music because, like everything else, music has evolved beyond that so people tend to listen to the more modern stuff.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 12:26:46 PM
Classical music is perfectly alive today - it's more often listened to as the soundtracks to movies than by itself, however.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:58:45 PM

Like a dead language? The youtube video has 36 million views. Classical music is not dead, it is resting.

Classical music is usually more appreciated by intellectuals. That's because of our culture. You could love classical music and have a rock for a brain.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 8:03:38 PM
I think classical music is the only kind of music I like, but me, living in the vicinity of the New York City - Jersey Shore area, the people around me and everything around me is dominated by popular culture. :( I believed it to be like a dead language because most people I know find it boring.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 6:40:18 PM

Classical music doesn't really mean anything anymore. It can mean anything from a specific period of music made around Mozart's time, to music that.. I guess is made with an orchestra.. There is no clear things that makes classical music that.

It used to be referred to as "serious" music, but even that label doesn't fit, as plenty of composers were real jokers.

Classical music is just music. Music for people who appreciate music sound imo. With the exception of maybe Bach, classical music didn't start getting really interesting until later on, mid 1800s.

Then the music from the early 1900s up until maybe the 1960s gets me off like nothing else. After that, minimalism started, and I've never been a fan(though there are always some good elements of it).

Nowadays, you pretty much got Hanz Zimmer and Hanz Zimmer knockoffs running around everywhere. I do not like Hanz Zimmer at all, not really my style.

Then you get a guy like Neil Rolnick, who I think is fvcking great. The Economic Engine which he released a couple years ago is beautiful.

If you like these parts, I'd recommend listening to the whole thing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp