Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

Remake noobs.

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 9:00:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Now, obviously it isn't an accurate title, but I could think of nothing better.

Anyway: as none of you may know, I am a HUGE play/musical lover! And, the topic for this thread will be a bit of a rant about remake noobs. What I mean by this is that someone learns about something via a remake, and assumes that is the original/only good standard. I'll use my favorite operetta, "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street," as an example.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not an original snob. In fact, the 2005 revival of ST I prefer over the originals. And, also, I get the idea that "hey, at least they've been exposed to it," idea--but honestly, it really sucks when your favorite piece of art gets stampeded by the preteen/early teen girls trying to be artsy by watching the ST movie, then going on Youtube and talking about how the ORIGINAL JOHANNA, who was selected by STEPHEN SONDHEIM, isn't fitting of the character, as well as talking about how talented Tim Burton's lover and Tim Burton's other lover were in that movie (which I REALLY didn't care for, by the by).

I do indeed understand interpretations are different, but, come now--doesn't it make you a bit peeved when people are completely oblivious?
I always thought I'd be
the picture saved on your screen.
Now it's of something else;
what does that even mean?

- Hannah Diamond, "Fade Away"