Jump to topic:

Guitar playin'

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 9:48:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Come on, are there any other guitar players around here?

If you are out there on DDO, come on, assemble, and let us discuss the finer things of the instrument.

One of the things I love most about the guitar is how your fingers have so much to do with the way it sounds. This can be said about all string instruments, but I do love me guitar. We string players gotta worry about things like vibrato and such. The guitar is a wonderful instrument to me, because there is so much you can do with it to manipulate the sound.

So, anyone here play guitar? Lets have a musical discussion.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 2:27:33 PM
I'd like to play the drums, but you can't do this kind of stuff on the drums or the piano...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 2:50:01 PM
yeah, the guitar is one of the most versatile instruments. you can manipulate it to sound just about any way, including sounding like other instruments. I get incredibly inspired by tapping/fingerstyle and adding a percusive element to the guitar. It just has such a unique feel to it. I strive to one day sound like andy mckee or antione dufour :P
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 3:39:20 PM
At 11/7/2011 2:50:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
yeah, the guitar is one of the most versatile instruments. you can manipulate it to sound just about any way, including sounding like other instruments. I get incredibly inspired by tapping/fingerstyle and adding a percusive element to the guitar. It just has such a unique feel to it. I strive to one day sound like andy mckee or antione dufour :P

That style of playing always freaks me out. I love it.
PartamRuhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 4:57:38 PM
The guitar is my creative outlet. Without it, I would most likely explode.

Seriously though, what an amazing instrument. Those you don't appreciate it are naive.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 12:10:52 PM
At 11/7/2011 2:27:33 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'd like to play the drums, but you can't do this kind of stuff on the drums or the piano...

Good playing, heard better though, seems to rely far too much on the easy as hell blues scale though.

I too play guitar. It's rewarding when you can start to pull off blisteringly fast runs, sweeps, tapping and mind-f*ckingly awesome guitar work in general.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 1:20:54 PM
At 11/8/2011 12:10:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Good playing, heard better though, seems to rely far too much on the easy as hell blues scale though.

I too play guitar. It's rewarding when you can start to pull off blisteringly fast runs, sweeps, tapping and mind-f*ckingly awesome guitar work in general.

Dude, the great majority of the sh!t I'm doing up there is modal, are you deaf? It's all C# Minor, B Mixolydian, and A Lydian noodlings. The main melody is built off of the Pentatonic scale, why wouldn't I make a little use of it(and I do, but the majority of this piece is not pentatonic)? It sounds good doesn't it?

But truly, you can't play this sort of thing on piano, it would be impossible. The rhythmic phrasing is terrible complex, I'm smashing together 5-tuplets, 7-tuplets, etc. I don't think it would be possible to even hit the keys in that manner and at that speed. The main thing that makes it impossible for piano though is simply a matter of vibrato and pitch bending. You can't really do either of those things on a piano.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:08:22 PM
At 11/8/2011 1:20:54 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Dude, the great majority of the sh!t I'm doing up there is modal, are you deaf? It's all C# Minor, B Mixolydian, and A Lydian noodlings. The main melody is built off of the Pentatonic scale, why wouldn't I make a little use of it(and I do, but the majority of this piece is not pentatonic)? It sounds good doesn't it?

It sounds good sure, but I'm not blind. I have a terrible ear for music but from watching I can see you fall black on the blues scale a lot. Just saying.

But truly, you can't play this sort of thing on piano, it would be impossible. The rhythmic phrasing is terrible complex, I'm smashing together 5-tuplets, 7-tuplets, etc. I don't think it would be possible to even hit the keys in that manner and at that speed. The main thing that makes it impossible for piano though is simply a matter of vibrato and pitch bending. You can't really do either of those things on a piano.

You can on a keyboard, not all that hard.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:45:20 PM
At 11/8/2011 2:08:22 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

It sounds good sure, but I'm not blind. I have a terrible ear for music but from watching I can see you fall black on the blues scale a lot. Just saying.

Applying the convoluted rhythms of blues to modal playing =/= falling back on the blues scale.

Bending to a blue note in a minor scale =/= falling back on blues scale.

Being snobbish about the blues scale =/= You know what you are talking about.

Falling back on the blues scale =/= bad playing

You probably think that good guitar playing = octave spanning arpeggios played really fast and in a straight rhythm.

And not to be boastful, but I don't know many people who can play in the Zappa style convincingly. Most people don't have an ear for that type of rhythmic phrasing.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:58:31 PM

You can on a keyboard, not all that hard.

Pitch bending, yeah, but the physical limitations of the instrument make playing certain rhythmic groupings nearly impossible, if not outright impossible. These same rhythmic groupings can be played easily on a guitar.

Just try hitting one note on a keyboard as fast as you can. If you do that, you'll realize that yes, there are things that you can do on a guitar that you can't do on a keyboard, no matter how skilled you are.

Of course, there are things that you can do on a keyboard that are totally impossible on the guitar.

Most obvious is that you can only play 6 notes at a time on a guitar. But another trait is that the some chord voicings that might even be easy on a piano are simply impossible on the guitar.

It also takes significantly less skill to play both harmony and melody on a piano than it does to do the same on the guitar... So while playing Rondo Alla Turka on the piano is nice and fine, and might impress a few good pianists, playing that same thing with the bass line, chords, melody, and everything on the twang generator will make most good guitarists sh!t a brick.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 3:05:22 PM
At 11/8/2011 2:45:20 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Applying the convoluted rhythms of blues to modal playing =/= falling back on the blues scale.

Bending to a blue note in a minor scale =/= falling back on blues scale.

Being snobbish about the blues scale =/= You know what you are talking about.

Referring to octaves is far more snobby than any reference to a blues scale. I'm just pointing out I would identify it as a main part of your playing is all.

You probably think that good guitar playing = octave spanning arpeggios played really fast and in a straight rhythm.

No, god no. I love listening to and playing blues as much as the next man, just think it requires a certain something to make it better than most of the stuff out there.

And not to be boastful, but I don't know many people who can play in the Zappa style convincingly. Most people don't have an ear for that type of rhythmic phrasing.

Ok?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 3:05:47 PM
Then again, most guitarists aren't classically trained, there are harder pieces to play on guitar.

But that kind of stuff still freaks me out.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 3:23:21 PM
At 11/8/2011 3:05:22 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 11/8/2011 2:45:20 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Referring to octaves is far more snobby than any reference to a blues scale. I'm just pointing out I would identify it as a main part of your playing is all.

Well yeah, it is. A good portion of what I play out is blues. It is a big part of my playing, but I'm telling you that I'm really not using the blues scale too much in this piece at all. My playing in this piece is primarily making use of 7 note scales, with some tasteful deviations because the harmonic climate allows for deviations that sound good.

It is a simple pedal vamp, going between a C#minor 7 to a D major 7. So while I am basically using a C# minor scale(with all the modes that make use of those notes), I've got use of that minor second, and I'll bend into that diminished 5th(which is probably what makes it sound like a blues scale, because that is the blue note. It's actually a pretty common bend).

You could technically solo over this with a straight C# minor pentatonic scale, but it sounds more bitchin' and like how Zappa does it if you make use of the modes.

Ok?

I'm playing a Zappa piece. He would frequently open shows with an improvised guitar solo to this.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 11:25:26 PM
I play bass guitar, and I have a really crappy acoustic (looking to get a nicer one).

I really wish I started when I was younger though. I've been playing for a little over a year and have taken no lessons. I really love to play, but I've got a bit of an obstruction having started fairly late. I suppose bass is one of the best choices if you start late though, seeing as it's more simple than allot of the others.
I play electric guitar occasionally.

I really love David Gilmours (from Pink Floyd), and Andrew Latimers (from Camel) spacy guitar solos. Two of my favorite people in music.
I'm not a big fan of insanely fast guitar solos.

As for acoustic guitar, Rodrigo Y Gabriela are pretty amazing to watch/listen too.

Also @CosmicAlfanso like the guitar playing.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 11:35:39 PM
If it makes you feel better, I didn't start playing until late 2007.

Technically I'm a late starter too. I also wished I started earlier, but I wasn't really ready for it. All those strings can be intimidating.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 6:50:35 PM
I've been playing for about 15 years. Last night I started learning "Don't Dream it's over" by crowded house. Good tune.
Rob
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 10:14:21 PM
Not to deny my blues roots, this was the song that got me into playing the guitar. Still don't know who the guy was that plays that opening guitar solo, but it still touches me in all the right places. Real gritty. The track is credited to Johnny Otis, the track is called "Slo Fuse". It's nothing spectacular either, it was just the first blues track that ever caught my attention. Been hooked on the blues ever since.

When I started playing, I was more of a metal player, but I always had the blues in my heart.

Another guitarist that I really liked almost from the get go was Jeff Beck. Famous for the yardbirds, but is a really soulful blues guitarist. Mostly did Jazz fusion type stuff later on, but always very open to experimenting with different styles.

I'm going to keep a blues theme with this post, because I think a lot of younger guys greatly underestimate the amount of feeling, and yes, technical ability that can be displayed in the blues. This is Jeff playing at the Crossroads Festival in 2007, I practically went just to see him play, and this track will move you. It's called "Brush With the Blues". He opens it with the intro to "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" and moves into it, but damn, this is one of the most amazing guitar solos I've ever heard in my life.

Jeff feels the blues like somethin' else. He's probably my favorite guitarist.

This next track is from another guitarist who is greatly overlooked by younger players who don't have a lot of experience with the blues. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Lawrence Gatemouth Brown with "Dolla Got the blues"

Now, Frank Zappa is another one of my favorite guitarist, but most people don't realize that he was heavily influenced by the blues. As a blues guitarist, the guy was in a league of his own. He's probably the only world famous white guy I think who really does the blues damn right(in b4 Stevie Ray Vaughn lovers object).

This a track that my brother described as being a blues solo from the loneliest man on Earth. It's just a guitar solo(actually the guitar solo to a blues song called "The Torture Never Stops"), but it is a fine example of guitar that really combines soul and technical proficiency into one package. The vamp being soloed over is really simple, it's a one chord vamp, but god damn, Zappa makes use of that freedom with this number.

Now most younger guitarists look at blues music, and when done right, it isn't a real flashy style of playing(not that there is anything wrong with that, we all love a little flashy guitar playing), but besides the obvious emotional tug that a good blues guitar solo will get out of you, it's a very rhythmically interesting type of music. Classical music puts a lot of emphasis on harmony.. Blues is very simple from that outlook.. But there is one thing that blues does better than classical music, metal music, rock music, country music, etc... The rhythm aspect of guitar is always convoluted and just way out there. Very rarely in other types of music to find melodic lines that are rhythmically interesting. Blues is almost all about the rhythm. While other styles of music tend to prefer relatively simple rhythms, blues is the type of music that only comes out right when played with jagged and weird rhythms.. Smashing weird tuplet combinations into one lick off the beat. It's a lot more poly-rhythmic than what people give it credit for.

Anyway, this last track is by one of the better known bluesmen. His influence stretches back to the likes of Jimi Hendrix(also a great player of the blues), and he continues to be an inspiration to those who play the blues today. He's one of the last original bluesmen alive, and no, I'm not talking about the legendary B.B. King, I'm talking about Mr. Buddy Guy.

This last track is called "The First Time I Met The Blues", and it is a pretty good example of Mr. Guy's playing.

That's just my defense of the blues. I love the blues, and I know a lot of guitar players who are really condescending towards the blues when in fact, it does offer a lot in terms of inspiration when it comes to the art of guitar.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 2:31:01 PM
At 11/8/2011 11:35:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I didn't start playing until late 2007.

It does actually.

Technically I'm a late starter too. I also wished I started earlier, but I wasn't really ready for it. All those strings can be intimidating.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DevonNetzley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 8:03:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I own a fender accoustic and an electric. Not to bad at it either, my buddy is trying to sut me up in his band.
"If you truly want to do something, the only person standing in your way is yourself"