Jump to topic:

I Hate Drake ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 11:28:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Rapper that is..........So he has a new album out now and it has been topping the charts. So far so good, but what gives with this guy ? He sings, and raps. But he is still whack as far as Im concerned. LOL He is not Eminem, or Jay Z. His still is like a dysfunctional and self loathing form of expression which I find to be quite unappealing. It is unmotivational and weak with no creativity whatsoever.
The beats on some of his songs are ok as they remind me somewhat of the days of ole. However he does not have the fiery explosiveness of the great Em, and the swagger and verbal agility as Jay Z. I think he is vastly overrated and boring.
What do you think ? I am here.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 7:33:24 PM
So do I but if this is a question how the hell am I supposed to know only you can figure that out.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 12:57:16 PM
At 11/8/2011 7:33:24 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
So do I but if this is a question how the hell am I supposed to know only you can figure that out.

Drake sucks. How was that my friend.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 11:06:00 PM
Drake is OKAY for a commercial rapper. What i mean by this is he has a smooth flow and he creates catchy songs. He's the type of rapper that I can hear the song 5 times, and be able to rap along with it. A white girl can rap along with it. What does that say about his flow? lol

His lyrics lack susbtance. they are all about the money and women. He does have a certain style that has a catch. he has a melodic sort of voice that could work well if he stepped outside of the box and pushed himself.

Also, he cannot sing. I don't care what anyone says. Even in autotune, his singing is off. Nice try though, sounds better than half of the crap out there.

Put him up against any of the greats, though, and they would be rapping circles around his a$$.

He can't freestyle either which looses major points. Seriously, watch him on westwood. his "freestyles" are all on his phone, and he stops after i think the second one because he didn't have any material to match the beat they gave him. boo.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 11:40:55 AM
but he's hotter than hell.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 11:44:08 AM
At 11/15/2011 11:40:55 AM, lotus_flower wrote:

No he is not. Jay Z and Kanye are lightyears ahead of this guy.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 3:51:17 PM
At 11/14/2011 11:06:00 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
His lyrics lack susbtance. they are all about the money and women.

In Headlines, Drake admits that being catchy is more important in terms of commercial success than having deep lyrics.

"Listen to you expressing all them feelings. Soap opera rappers - all you niggas sound like All My Children. And that's who you thinking is about to come and make a killing? I guess it really is just me, myself and all my millions."

I completely agree with lickdafoot's analysis, but I like Drake because he's clever. He is deserving of his commercial success because being catchy is all you need for that. Though witty, his lyrics aren't complex but his songs are fun to sing along to and tend to set the mood well (i.e., Headlines at parties, Marvin's Room when you're just reflecting and lounging about, etc.).

People have different expectations of hip-hop. Some people are thought to be great because they rap about "real" things or deep topics, such as Eminem. Others are revered for their flow, a.k.a. Jay Z. Some admire creativity, others lyrics, others one's voice, and still others care more about beats and overall song production. It really depends on the listener. You can rap about anything, be it money and hoes or the cultural struggle of a people. Drake brings up a good point though in that commercial rappers are more successful and popular than the artistic ones. Jay Z agrees, and explains in his song Moment of Clarity -

"I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars. They criticize me for it, yet they all yell HOLLA. If skills sold, truth be told I'd probably be lyrically Talib Kweli. Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense. But I did 5 mil - I ain't been rhyming like Common since. When your sense got that much in common and you been hustling since your inception - fvck perception - go with what makes sense."

I think that Drake intentionally "dumbs himself down" like Jay claims to for the sake of being simple and catchy (though simple can still be witty, which is fun). That is what sells. Some rappers are straight up dumb though and couldn't be better if they tried, whereas I think Drake could. However keep in mind that some in society also have this stupid perception that the only "deep" topics one could talk about is rising out of poverty or something, whereas again you could really rap about anything. Just because a song isn't about politics or being poor doesn't mean it's necessarily frivolous either. Biggie is my favorite rapper, and I love that not all of his songs are about important ish. He just talks about the everyday life of a black guy in BK at that time, which is not only relateable content to a lot of people but I think reflects what art is truly about in general - one's own interpretation of their subjective human experience. It need not be serious or intellectual all the time in order to have merit.

So again, while I don't think Drake is the best by any means, I think he's awesome at what he does and deserves his success.
President of DDO
Rockstarr1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 10:38:43 PM
Drake looks like tall sloth that has been up for two weeks on a beer binge. Not a good look. Taylor Swift is better than Drake (Kanye is a drunk, racist and arrogant)!! LOL!! I like 2pac and Biggy for rappers and they are "dead" or hiding away some where IDK!!
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 7:53:48 PM
At 11/14/2011 12:57:16 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/8/2011 7:33:24 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:

Drake sucks. How was that my friend.

Very good
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 7:54:05 PM
At 11/14/2011 11:07:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
not a fan of rap

This
Dude. Shades
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 7:54:28 PM
At 11/15/2011 11:44:08 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/15/2011 11:40:55 AM, lotus_flower wrote:

No he is not. Jay Z and Kanye are lightyears ahead of this guy.

They suck too
Dude. Shades
vishnudkant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 7:08:52 AM
Hi
welcome to this forum site ........
First u should talk to your parents, teacher & your best friend; they will suggest you best one.
[url=http://www.ezdia.com...] HQL Tutorial [/url]
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 9:26:18 PM
Personally, I am not fond of rap music at all.

I much prefer System of a Down as much of their songs are political in nature( B.Y.O.B., Toxicity, ect.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 8:02:22 AM
At 11/25/2011 9:26:18 PM, MasterKage wrote:
Personally, I am not fond of rap music at all.

I much prefer System of a Down as much of their songs are political in nature( B.Y.O.B., Toxicity, ect.

You wouldnt like Drake if you were a fan of rap music.
Money
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 6:22:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
sorry drake songs don't make sense. he just make random words rhyme unlike other rappers like 2pac,emeinem, or other old school rappers.
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:01:05 AM
I hate all rap, so Drake sounds like he would rap horrible music...
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:57:19 AM
At 2/22/2012 10:01:05 AM, kyro90 wrote:
I hate all rap, so Drake sounds like he would rap horrible music...

People who hate rap do not understand the music.