Jump to topic:

Unlimited Expression?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 8:21:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you think that pure, unadulterated expression in art can be harmful? Or is it always good? This idea of being an overly expressive artist is exemplified in the character Sander Cohen from the game BIOSHOCK, in my opinion. Don't believe me? Well then, I invite you to sit back and enjoy an animation set to an audiotape in the game of a little story: "The Wild Bunny," by Sander Cohen.

Anyway--to sum up: do you think that there is such a thing as too much expression?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 8:37:42 PM
At 11/18/2011 8:21:30 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Do you think that pure, unadulterated expression in art can be harmful? Or is it always good? This idea of being an overly expressive artist is exemplified in the character Sander Cohen from the game BIOSHOCK, in my opinion. Don't believe me? Well then, I invite you to sit back and enjoy an animation set to an audiotape in the game of a little story: "The Wild Bunny," by Sander Cohen.

Anyway--to sum up: do you think that there is such a thing as too much expression?

Damn that was a creepy video! But it was really interesting
Why does he want his ears off? Does he want to shut himself out of the world?
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2011 8:38:53 PM
At 11/18/2011 8:21:30 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Being overly expressive brings both plenty of positivity and negatively. What you mostly create by being overly expressive is impact
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Poachi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 4:02:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I recently attended the Colorado Thespian Conference wherein I attended a workshop on improv characters. Before we learned how to improvise characters, we had to learn how to get in touch with emotion. My dramatic teenage emotions had been rearing up that day and I felt angry at myself for writing a love poem for a girl who wasn't up for a relationship at the time. The improv teacher told us to not only vocalize but to manifest our emotion through our bodies. It was enlightening to scream and cringe and afterward I felt incredibly free. I felt relieved to have experience those emotions and shortly after, during the first real improv exercise, I felt more natural and comfortable with my character than I've felt in the past.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -Paarthurnax
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 8:35:41 PM
I don't see how that video correlates with unlimited expression. Perhaps a reference to van Gogh? Well, I've seen more disturbing cartoons and they were quite entertaining. Try Salad Fingers. Or anything else by David Firth. If unlimited expression means preserving such gems, then I'm all for it.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 8:39:54 PM
Of course sometimes unlimited expression gets you into trouble. If you have an unlimited expression of a hate of theists, you get Izbo.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 12:47:38 AM
At 12/24/2011 8:35:41 PM, Ren wrote:
I don't see how that video correlates with unlimited expression. Perhaps a reference to van Gogh? Well, I've seen more disturbing cartoons and they were quite entertaining. Try Salad Fingers. Or anything else by David Firth. If unlimited expression means preserving such gems, then I'm all for it.

Salad Fingers!!!!

I don't really see a problem with unlimited expression, as long as it doesn't hurt others in the process. If someone's artistic expression is seen as negative, it's only from the perspective of another person, in which case, who cares? if you have expressed yourself, then you are being fulfilled. Everyone appreciates art in their own way.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 10:51:22 AM
At 12/26/2011 12:47:38 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Salad Fingers!!!!

I don't really see a problem with unlimited expression, as long as it doesn't hurt others in the process. If someone's artistic expression is seen as negative, it's only from the perspective of another person, in which case, who cares? if you have expressed yourself, then you are being fulfilled. Everyone appreciates art in their own way.

Mayhaps I should rephrase the question. I meant: is there a point where a person is TOO expressive for their own good (whether that e mental health as shown in the video or otherwise)?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:13:25 PM
At 12/30/2011 10:51:22 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/26/2011 12:47:38 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Salad Fingers!!!!

Mayhaps I should rephrase the question. I meant: is there a point where a person is TOO expressive for their own good (whether that e mental health as shown in the video or otherwise)?

A visit to Fat-pie may cause you trouble sleeping.