Jump to topic:

Piano Practice

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 8:46:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
For all the piano players out there, what advice can you give me to practice my music more effectively. I feel that I have not been improving lately or been improving much more slowly. Also how long does it usually take you to learn a new piece of music? It usually takes me about two-three weeks with really good practicing and another week to memorize.
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:29:50 PM
I play piano, and I guess some advice would be to like whenever you have time, just flex your fingers and try to make it so whenever you do, dont have multiple of them join that finger. Idk how to explain it only show it sorry if you dont understand..
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 5:26:40 AM
The best way I think to practice is to learn difficult pieces. Try learning something very hard, be patient with it, it may take up to a month or longer, but the accomplishment you feel at the end is unparalleled. There are also many skills and abilities you acquire just out of learning them.

I would recommend something by Chopin, try Fantasie Impromptu, etude Op 25 no 2, or op 25 no 12.

If you can play Op 25 no 6 then you're a genius lol
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
buelg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 1:16:59 AM
I'm a piano player, too, but my teacher and I bot think that rather than rushing to be good at studying a musical note, just practice it slowly. I will choose to play "secret" if I were you. Although, it is easy, it is a nice song.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 11:53:41 PM
At 1/26/2012 8:46:52 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
For all the piano players out there, what advice can you give me to practice my music more effectively. I feel that I have not been improving lately or been improving much more slowly. Also how long does it usually take you to learn a new piece of music? It usually takes me about two-three weeks with really good practicing and another week to memorize.

It depends what you want to learn stylistically. Learning rag-time music, such as the Entertainer or the Maple-Leaf Rag, on the piano is much different then learning Debussy's Clair de Lune. Both teach you something different about the piano.

In general, classical music teaches more about the fundamentals while impressionistic or romantic music is more about expression.

My advice, if you want to improve make sure you have the fundamentals down, go back and play the basics: Bach Inventions (these can be pieces on their own and some are very difficult), Hanon Exercises (1 or 2 a week), SCALES!!!!!! The Hanon Exercises and scales should be a warm up (every scale...every day).

Then, push yourself try playing a whole range of pieces. Moonlight Sonata is extremely difficult if you want to play it correctly (this teaches one thing). Try Clair de Lune (Debussy) very pretty piece (it teaches something different). Very hard to play. If you dont thing you can play Clair de Lune try the first Arabesque (and a third thing to learn).

If you need to find any music go here: http://imslp.org... (it has a lot of stuff, not everything though)
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 12:49:36 AM
At 1/27/2012 5:26:40 AM, 000ike wrote:
The best way I think to practice is to learn difficult pieces. Try learning something very hard, be patient with it, it may take up to a month or longer, but the accomplishment you feel at the end is unparalleled. There are also many skills and abilities you acquire just out of learning them.

I would recommend something by Chopin, try Fantasie Impromptu, etude Op 25 no 2, or op 25 no 12.

If you can play Op 25 no 6 then you're a genius lol

I played op 25 no 6 a couple years ago and I'm no genius. I think your advice sounds good, but it's not quite right.

If you want to get better, you have to have an idea of where you want to get. You need to know what kinds of techniques you want to develop, what sound you want to create, etc. etc. I think a huge amount of getting better is simply gaining knowledge about the piano, theoretical knowledge.

When it comes to practicing, you don't want to learn pieces that are too difficult. You want something that will challenge you, but not too much. Also, once you start learning Chopin etudes, you should be spending at least 3 months on them. Don't think you are done learning something once you can play through it, that's when the work really begins.