Jump to topic:

Waters under rated; Gilmour over rated

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 8:39:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Most people seem to share the view that Gilmour was pink floyds biggest member. I used to as well. Now I think this is blatantly false. Gilmour has an amazing voice and plays beautiful guitar which is why he gets so much attention. But the fact of the matter is Waters quite obviously contributed the most in song writing.

What are Pink Floyds greatest albums?

The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You were Here
Obscured By Clouds
Meddle
Animals
Division Bell

1. "The wall"
Common fact that this is Waters album.

2. "DSOTM"
^^

3. "Wish You Were Here"

Again a Waters album. It was a tribute to Syd Barett, and Gilmour wasn't in the band, save for a few months, while Barett was around, so Gilmour somewhat stayed out of the song writing. Waters was the main writer. Wright was second. Rogers was the main contributer in all the songs save Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which was Wright/Gilmour.

___
These are almost positively the three most popular PF albums and every single one Waters was by far the main contributor.
___

4. "Obscured By Clouds"

Waters was involved in 7 of the ten songs; Gilmour 6.

5. "Meddle"

Group effort but every song was mostly Waters.

6. "Animals"

Almost completely Waters. Gilmour was involved in "Dogs".

7. "Division Bell"

As much a Gilmour album as The Wall is a Waters album.

After taking into account all I've mentioned it's almost impossible to say Gilmour was the greatest PF member. When Gilmour and Waters are compared together, Waters is massively under rated.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 9:40:03 AM
At 2/23/2012 8:39:41 AM, phantom wrote:
Most people seem to share the view that Gilmour was pink floyds biggest member. I used to as well. Now I think this is blatantly false. Gilmour has an amazing voice and plays beautiful guitar which is why he gets so much attention. But the fact of the matter is Waters quite obviously contributed the most in song writing.

What are Pink Floyds greatest albums?

The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You were Here
Obscured By Clouds
Meddle
Animals
Division Bell

1. "The wall"
Common fact that this is Waters album.

2. "DSOTM"
^^

3. "Wish You Were Here"

Again a Waters album. It was a tribute to Syd Barett, and Gilmour wasn't in the band, save for a few months, while Barett was around, so Gilmour somewhat stayed out of the song writing. Waters was the main writer. Wright was second. Rogers was the main contributer in all the songs save Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which was Wright/Gilmour.

___
These are almost positively the three most popular PF albums and every single one Waters was by far the main contributor.
___

4. "Obscured By Clouds"

Waters was involved in 7 of the ten songs; Gilmour 6.

5. "Meddle"

Group effort but every song was mostly Waters.

6. "Animals"

Almost completely Waters. Gilmour was involved in "Dogs".

7. "Division Bell"

As much a Gilmour album as The Wall is a Waters album.

After taking into account all I've mentioned it's almost impossible to say Gilmour was the greatest PF member. When Gilmour and Waters are compared together, Waters is massively under rated.

Like I just said. Waters was poetic and insane. But Gilmour was transcendent and his lyrics are very influential and potent. He brings the emotions into the band.
If you listen to sparkling tracks like Shine On You Crazy Diamond, is shows you how eloquent he is with a divine edge to his tracks. If you take him away from the picture, the band does not have that soul that it has with Waters.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 9:46:07 AM
Lol Lol Gilmour influential lyrics?? Any big pink floyd fan knows that Waters was the lyrical genius in the band. Waters is one of the all time greatest lyrical writers in the history of music.

Besides that Gilmours said himself Waters was a better lyrical writer, and the fact that gilmours wife wrote the lyrics on his last album further proves my point.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 10:00:31 AM
At 2/23/2012 9:46:07 AM, phantom wrote:
Lol Lol Gilmour influential lyrics?? Any big pink floyd fan knows that Waters was the lyrical genius in the band. Waters is one of the all time greatest lyrical writers in the history of music.

Besides that Gilmours said himself Waters was a better lyrical writer, and the fact that gilmours wife wrote the lyrics on his last album further proves my point.

That may be true. Waters is the better lyricist. But he does not has the depth and consistency of Gilmour. Gimours debut album is one of the greatest albums ever made. And it was critically acclaimed even if it did not hit the massive mainstream success of his band. But you cannot deny the fact that Gilmour had more soul, and eloquence. He also went on to do more solo albums which are superior to any solo act that Waters has done in his ill fated career. He does not match him when it comes to creativity and depth. Period.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:42:08 PM
At 2/23/2012 10:00:31 AM, inferno wrote:

That may be true. Waters is the better lyricist. But he does not has the depth and consistency of Gilmour.

Consistency? Please explain.
Depth? You do realize one of the main reasons Waters was such a great lyricist was because they were so deep.

Gimours debut album is one of the greatest albums ever made. And it was critically acclaimed even if it did not hit the massive mainstream success of his band. But you cannot deny the fact that Gilmour had more soul, and eloquence. He also went on to do more solo albums which are superior to any solo act that Waters has done in his ill fated career.

This is %100 your opinion.

Also ill fated career? You're funny.

He does not match him when it comes to creativity and depth. Period.

lmao, if Gilmour is so much more creative why did Waters write so many more of their albums???
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:44:45 PM
At 2/28/2012 2:42:08 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/23/2012 10:00:31 AM, inferno wrote:

That may be true. Waters is the better lyricist. But he does not has the depth and consistency of Gilmour.

Consistency? Please explain.
Depth? You do realize one of the main reasons Waters was such a great lyricist was because they were so deep.

Gimours debut album is one of the greatest albums ever made. And it was critically acclaimed even if it did not hit the massive mainstream success of his band. But you cannot deny the fact that Gilmour had more soul, and eloquence. He also went on to do more solo albums which are superior to any solo act that Waters has done in his ill fated career.

This is %100 your opinion.

Also ill fated career? You're funny.

He does not match him when it comes to creativity and depth. Period.

lmao, if Gilmour is so much more creative why did Waters write so many more of their albums???

Shine On You Crazy Diamond, the production was from Gilmour. Not to mention the classic track from Darkside of Moon called "Us And Them."
There are too many to name here. But Gilmour on his own produced some amazing solo albums which is almost as great as their studio albums.
Waters solo acts do not hold a candle to Gilmour.
Thaumaturgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 4:46:52 PM
Waters had "edge" but Gilmour was a great musician. When I listen to Floyd I love the guitar work, but both of them kind of grew stale and stuck. Waters kept going for more and more "personal" stuff to work out his own problems while Gilmour ended up with a guitar solo style that just "is" Gilmour. I mean listen to Kate Bush or Dream Academy on those songs where he provided a guitar solo and it's like they're going along in their own style when suddenly David Gilmour bursts in and is Gilmouring all over the place.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Gilmour's playing but it would be nice if it was limited to Pink Floyd songs.

But aren't we forgetting Richard Wright? I mean he was KEYBOARD SOUL of the band! Us and Them? Time? Echoes??? (The pinging at the beginning of Echoes is apparently done by massively over-processing a grand piano key!)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 4:54:04 PM
At 4/20/2012 4:46:52 PM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
Waters had "edge" but Gilmour was a great musician.

They were both great for sure. Gilmour is in fact, my second favorite guitarist, and one of my favorite vocalists.

When I listen to Floyd I love the guitar work, but both of them kind of grew stale and stuck.

I have to disagree. Have you listened to Gilmour's "On an Island"? One of my favorite albums and it's from 2006. Also, Division Bell was a great album, especially High Hopes and Marooned.

Waters kept going for more and more "personal" stuff to work out his own problems while Gilmour ended up with a guitar solo style that just "is" Gilmour. I mean listen to Kate Bush or Dream Academy on those songs where he provided a guitar solo and it's like they're going along in their own style when suddenly David Gilmour bursts in and is Gilmouring all over the place.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Gilmour's playing but it would be nice if it was limited to Pink Floyd songs.

But aren't we forgetting Richard Wright? I mean he was KEYBOARD SOUL of the band! Us and Them? Time? Echoes??? (The pinging at the beginning of Echoes is apparently done by massively over-processing a grand piano key!)

I loved Wright, and think he was part of what made PF. His solo album "wet dreams" was really good. He had a very similar style to Gilmour. But overall, talking about who was the biggest member of PF, Wrights never going to get a mention.
Thaumaturgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 4:59:06 PM
At 4/20/2012 4:54:04 PM, phantom wrote:
I loved Wright, and think he was part of what made PF. His solo album "wet dreams" was really good. He had a very similar style to Gilmour. But overall, talking about who was the biggest member of PF, Wrights never going to get a mention.

I have been trying for several years to get my hands on a copy of "Wet Dreams" but have never even laid ears on it.

Oh you're right when people think about the biggest members of PF Wright will definitely get short shrift. Just wanted to give him is props when possible!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 5:19:44 PM
At 4/20/2012 4:59:06 PM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 4/20/2012 4:54:04 PM, phantom wrote:

I have been trying for several years to get my hands on a copy of "Wet Dreams" but have never even laid ears on it.

I just listen to it on youtube. It's way to expensive on Amazon.