Art is the superior form of self-knowledge

tarkovsky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 3:29:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I like to think of the 'aesthetic knowledge' separate from scientific knowledge. Where both science and art both aim to know, what they claim to know and how they claim to know it often differs radically.

In this way, I often feel aesthetic formations are much more veridical forms of self-knowledge than science.

The very principles of science, viz., it's forms of knowledge, are all fundamentally suffering from a rupture with reality. Scientifico-epistemic formations burgeon from observation, that is to say, once after reality, which is always only really there in the present, has come to pass, can science say anything whatsoever. Moreover, the very act of observation places the gatherer of scientific knowledge at a distance. Science must be at a distance from it's objects of knowledge in order that it might say anything about them.

To me this presents a real problem, as the human existence is at the level, more or less, of phenomenology. That is to say, human existence occurs presently. In order that someone might call upon past experiences or future prognostications, they must first be placed in the present which affords them the ability to experience, continuously, these recollections or prognostications. In other words, at the level of human experience, the past is all that is concrete that makes up the present reality. The present reality, being expressed by the unperturbed continuousness of the past, is a reality of immediacy. Science must wait till the object is 'dead' and must be 'outside' if anything is to be said, whereas human consciousness experiences the present continuously, by means of the past; aesthetics are 'internal' and use the deadness of past objects to form a new living object which is the principal progenitor of knowledge.

Again, to the credit of aesthetic knowledge, is the idea that each moments is already created for man, so to speak. I do not consciously participate in the act perceptual generation, my perceptions are already present for me and I cannot will perception. In essence, I am given the totality of an inner world, always; "...not a certain meaning... but an entire world reflected as in a drop of water."

Thus the aesthetic understanding uses this totality as its point of departure, and total knowledge of the world is demonstrated and articulated by the expression of this moment which to man is the perceptual world given in its totality. A total knowledge, not a meaning taken from a total world, not a part.
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 6:48:32 AM
I totally agree. Everyone tells me to stop focusing on creativity and focus on something that will get you somewhere in life but all I care about is art.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
tarkovsky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 2:13:44 PM
At 3/8/2012 6:48:32 AM, kyro90 wrote:
I totally agree. Everyone tells me to stop focusing on creativity and focus on something that will get you somewhere in life but all I care about is art.

Well, everyone might be right to a certain extent. Do what you want but realize there is no reason why you must dedicate your life to artistic expression.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 9:05:30 PM
At 4/29/2012 2:13:44 PM, tarkovsky wrote:
At 3/8/2012 6:48:32 AM, kyro90 wrote:

Well, everyone might be right to a certain extent. Do what you want but realize there is no reason why you must dedicate your life to artistic expression.

holy sh!t this was a late reply...
tarkovsky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 3:14:10 AM
At 4/29/2012 9:05:30 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

holy sh!t this was a late reply...

Hahaha. No shame here, it was an excuse to bump the thread.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:54:16 AM
At 4/30/2012 3:20:43 AM, tarkovsky wrote:
It's just such a shame how dead this board is.

While you were right to post this topic in the Arts forum, you'll probably have better luck at generating discussion for this topic in the Philosophy section. You should, because this is an interesting conversation :)
President of DDO
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 6:54:39 AM
At 4/30/2012 3:20:43 AM, tarkovsky wrote:
It's just such a shame how dead this board is.

Yea...it is :( :( it's sad...art is a fundemental part of well...everything.