Jump to topic:

What happened to music?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 3:46:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
When people used to sing, it used to be about things that had depth and meaning...and it would manifest in the same depth of music. But now, all happy songs are about partying and having sex,...and the sad songs are all about break-ups and not getting any sex. This isn't all there is to human expression. Why is music like that so popular? What happened to this stuff --->
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 4:14:41 PM
Effective marketing appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Not everyone likes music, not everyone likes poetry, but everyone likes sex, and there are plenty enough people who like to party.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 5:10:38 PM
Lol. Starry-eyed "back in the day" rants are funny.

You know what other song was very popular around that same time?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 5:14:07 PM
The problem with reminiscence like this OP is that people tend to only remember the good stuff. For every Beatles song, there were probably 15-20 Sugar Sugars.

When the next generation is growing up, do you think we'll be remembering our trash? No. We'll be haling the few good artists of our time, just like people hail the few good bands of the 60s.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 5:17:47 PM
At 4/1/2012 5:10:38 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

lol okay. But even that song is better than this --->
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 5:18:02 PM
Here are two more deep songs from the time which were VERY popular then, and are surprisingly popular now.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 5:19:56 PM
At 4/1/2012 5:17:47 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 4/1/2012 5:10:38 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

lol okay. But even that song is better than this --->

That's a parody of the typical rap song.

I get what you're saying--popular music by and large is sh1t and not deep nowadays. And I agree. But the same holds true for songs back then. And for songs the generation before. And before. And so on.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 5:34:53 PM
At 4/1/2012 5:14:07 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
The problem with reminiscence like this OP is that people tend to only remember the good stuff. For every Beatles song, there were probably 15-20 Sugar Sugars.

When the next generation is growing up, do you think we'll be remembering our trash? No. We'll be haling the few good artists of our time, just like people hail the few good bands of the 60s.

You could say that about the lyrics, but what about the melody? Modern melodies come from synthetic noises put together to make a beat over and over again. Or, for the guitarists, the same 3 chords over and over again.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 8:47:41 PM
At 4/1/2012 5:34:53 PM, 000ike wrote:

You could say that about the lyrics, but what about the melody? Modern melodies come from synthetic noises put together to make a beat over and over again. Or, for the guitarists, the same 3 chords over and over again.

And how is physical music inherently superior to synthetic music?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 8:51:04 PM
At 4/1/2012 8:47:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 4/1/2012 5:34:53 PM, 000ike wrote:

And how is physical music inherently superior to synthetic music?

I guess that's a matter of opinion.
Vitreous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:27:55 AM
Niki Minaj, Lil wayne, Rick Ross...Rap happened to music
"I don't even know what that means"
"No one knows what it means but its provocative"
"No it's not, it's..."
"It gets the people GOING!!!"
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 12:58:34 PM
Which is why I mostly listen to older music.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:16:01 PM
At 4/2/2012 1:27:55 AM, Vitreous wrote:

Don't blame rap. If I want to get away from all the pop songs (which are good too, they have their own purpose and value), I turn to underground rap. This is where you will find the highest level of intellectual activity in music.

Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique, Jay-Z's album Reasonable Doubt, Canibus, etc.

They create brilliant poetry with huge vocabularies, array of subject matter, including esoteric matters, and none of this can be found in any other genre. Maybe progressive metal (lame) or classic rock (great lyrics overshadowed by guitars and vocals), but underground rap is where it's at.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 1:17:03 PM
At 4/2/2012 12:58:34 PM, phantom wrote:
Which is one reason why I mostly listen to older music.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 3:06:53 PM
At 4/2/2012 1:27:55 AM, Vitreous wrote:

If rap actually has some purpose to it, it is good. If its just a bunch of words about nothing in particular thrown together....not so much. Nobody here can honestly tell me rap which tells a story/has a message is not better than rap which has no story/tells no message.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 3:39:08 PM
It changed and then it will change again and then some will say the same thing you just said. "What happened to music?"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 3:24:21 AM
I'm inclined to agree that most music nowadays is just about partying, at least pop music. However, I still enjoy it, but for different reasons. It has a good beat you can dance to, it's catchy, etc. I tend to be somebody who likes all kinds of music though.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 9:41:05 AM
Nothing happened to intelligent, meaningful music. It still exists and is thriving. The media has a different agenda, that is all.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:01:46 PM
After we finish talking about back-in-the-day music, maybe we should talk about back-in-day-slavery, or back-in-the-day sexism.

I agree, some of the changes suck, but as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, who cares?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 12:30:32 AM
At 4/1/2012 3:46:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
When people used to sing, it used to be about things that had depth and meaning...and it would manifest in the same depth of music. But now, all happy songs are about partying and having sex,...and the sad songs are all about break-ups and not getting any sex. This isn't all there is to human expression. Why is music like that so popular? What happened to this stuff --->

Let it be isn't really a pinnacle of music to be looked upon with reverence and deference. If you truly were an audiophile, you would come to the conclusion that quality exists in every genre in most time periods. The ratio of quality songs and artists to the total may be slim in genres such as 2010's rap and 1980's pop and 1920's jazz, you find good songs and artists and you enjoy them. You posted a Beatles song that, while melodic and popular, is also simplistic and boring. I could list rap songs with better syncopation, musical timing, development, melody, and originality than that song.

In conclusion: quality exists in every genre; if you study music, you'll enjoy more; and try Jazz, Classical, and Soul for the highest ratios of quality to total output. Use Pandora and explore!

Happy listening~
WSA
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 3:38:14 PM
You just need to stop listening to pop, man.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:28:22 AM

I am 16 years old so I guess I count as the newest generation becoming adults but some of my favorite music is electronic music similar to "dubstep" but that genre doesn't really apply to newer electronic music, but anyway the point I want to make is that in every generation there were the music naysayer in the 50's that damned rock and roll poisoning our children then it was all to hippie music that we today relish and 90's gangster rap and this trend will go on as long as humans listen to music. there are always going to be untalented hacks that are inexpressive. there is a lot of originality and creativity in newer electronic music. every generation has good and bad music you just have to sift through the turds to find the diamonds.
Slimy yet satisfying"