Jump to topic:

The Hurt Locker

USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 9:04:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I saw this movie last week, and it's the best movie I've seen this year (not that I see too many new movies, but still). It doesn't preach or editorialize. It examines the human condition/psyche under duress, as well as that inexplicable-yet-innate drive professional soldiers have that keeps them needing to be part of the action.

"The Hurt Locker" focuses on its characters, and not on making them political/propaganda pawns (spare us comments about how politicians use them for that, etc.).

The movie has a 98% favorable rating on rottentomatoes.com, which is quite rare.

It's a leading Oscar contender, but with a field of 10 Best Picture nominees this year, perhaps the voting will be diluted like it hasn't been in a while. Still, I'd say that so far, it has a good shot at winning, and I hope it does. (November-December is always a big season.)

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this movie, if you've seen it?

As of yet, what other movie(s) do you feel could be "Best Picture" (whether just your opinion, or of the schmaltzy Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences (AMPAS) variety)?
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 9:06:33 PM
Though this is a movie, I placed it under "Art" because:

1 - Art and Sports can use some more threads here; and

2 - We're talking about GOOD movies here, not crap.

(Just in case you're wondering.)
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2009 6:15:59 AM
At 9/23/2009 8:59:50 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I've never heard of this movie, but I'm going to check it out now that you've mentioned it.

Cool, let me know what you think.

If it's not in any theaters now, my guess is that it'll be re-released pre-Oscar season, like most "contenders."