Jump to topic:

Best periods of music?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 11:58:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What are your favorite periods of music?

Mine are

70's(by far)
60's
80's
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 3:28:25 PM
Damn. This is tough. It's between the 60's and 70's for me.
The 60's had the Beatles
The 70's had Carpenters
I can't decide :/
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 3:34:56 PM
For the most part the 80s and some of the 90s. There are some other songs that are okay and are newer too, but for the most part I hate new music.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 9:20:04 AM
At 7/21/2012 3:34:56 PM, Contra wrote:
For the most part the 80s and some of the 90s. There are some other songs that are okay and are newer too, but for the most part I hate new music.

The 1970s gave us the most creative and artistic period in music history.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 10:38:56 PM
The Fool: This time.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:21:27 AM
1799-1827-Beethoven
1861-New American Music (for the Civil War, including Dixie, Battle Cry of Freedom, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Bonnie Blue Flag, and many other great pieces)
1880s-Tchaikovsky
1955-1961-War/Western Music (My favorite period of Johnny Cash and The Golden Age of Johnny Horton and Marty Robbins)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 12:22:23 AM
The Baroque Period, 1600 to 1750. "Composers of the baroque era include Johann Sebastian Bach, George Frideric Handel, Alessandro Scarlatti, Antonio Vivaldi, Georg Philipp Telemann, Jean-Baptiste Lully, Arcangelo Corelli, François Couperin, Denis Gaultier, Claudio Monteverdi, Jean-Philippe Rameau and Henry Purcell." -- Wikipedia
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:39:56 PM
At 7/23/2012 9:20:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 7/21/2012 3:34:56 PM, Contra wrote:

The 1970s gave us the most creative and artistic period in music history.

Besides the classical era I have to whole-heartidly agree. Progressive rock dominated the 70's and I have yet to see any other form of music besides classical that is more creative than progressive rock, both in terms of insturments and lyrics.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 5:56:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Late Baroque
Late Classical
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 3:20:26 PM
I think something like the period 1967 to 1975 is my favorite period. I think of it as something like a cambrian explosion of rock music. So many different musical expressions were explored and recorded.

According to Frank Zappa (who I am a big fan of by the way), the record labels back in the 60s were run by old men. You had a rising youth culture that consumed a lot of music and were in part shaped by it. The old executives didn't understand what the kids were doing and were generally disconnected from it, but wanted to make money, so they just gave young folks record deals and just hoped they'd make something that would sell. So basically, these young folks were given a lot of freedom and many were determined to make something unique. Some of these bands are now regarded as prog rock bands, but that's a bit misleading as they were generally trying to be unique rather than adhere to some common style.

In later decades, young people started taking over the business, some of them musicians, and they started streamlining their products more. This is Frank Zappa's very brief summary on just some of the shaping forces that changed the music industry from the 60s to the 80s.

I'd mention some highlights, but it would be a long list. I like bands like Pink Floyd, Beatles, Love, Velvet Underground, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Hatfield and the North, Yes, Return to Forever, and others that often had their creative peak during this period.

Best album from that period might be Yes' Close to the Edge from 1972.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 10:39:21 PM
At 11/30/2015 3:20:26 PM, toretorden wrote:
Best album from that period might be Yes' Close to the Edge from 1972.
"I get up, I get down"

1972 I'd say Jethro Tull - Aqualung

I'll always be fond of the music I grew up on 60's and 70's as well as the music created by my generation the 80's and 90's

I believe there is current music that I would enjoy but I really don't have a resource to it. Niki minaj and Justin Beaver just don't make my list.

I wonder what kind of genres that exist(ed) and/or gone extinct that have not been recorded.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers