Jump to topic:

Classical music

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 6:50:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Although I'm very open to different varieties of music, 90% or so of my favorite music is rock and roll from 1964-1978. I have only ever heard one piece of classical music that has had the same euphoric effect on me as, say, a song by Pink Floyd or The Doors or Cream has.

I'd really love to know, why does this one song captivate me so much when otherwise I invariably go with psychodelich/progressive rock? Music theory must really be fascinating.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
OneElephant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:18:19 PM
While I am no expert on the topic, I doubt there's a specific theoretical explanation for why you prefer one particular piece over another. There are many possible reason's outside of theory though; for example, it might be because of a personal connection you feel to the music or something sentimental along those lines. Another likely reason is that you might just not have enough exposure to a particular genre. If you haven't heard of it already, you might want to try Rach 2, I've been watching the master classes for Rach 3 and it came to mind. It's a piano concerto though, so it's quite a bit more hectic than the piece you posted.
Godsconservativegirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:57:45 PM
I love classical music
"John 3:16 For God so Loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him shall not perish, but shall have ever lasting life."

God'sconservativegirl :)
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 2:38:02 PM
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 4:40:51 PM
At 8/6/2012 6:50:00 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Although I'm very open to different varieties of music, 90% or so of my favorite music is rock and roll from 1964-1978. I have only ever heard one piece of classical music that has had the same euphoric effect on me as, say, a song by Pink Floyd or The Doors or Cream has.

I'd really love to know, why does this one song captivate me so much when otherwise I invariably go with psychodelich/progressive rock? Music theory must really be fascinating.

The point of music is to make you feel some kind of emotion (sadness, happiness, etc.) Obviously for you this piece makes you feel some emotion. (I cannot tell you what emotion that is because....I am not you.)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:15:03 PM
Progressive rock is by far my favorite genre of music. I love most types though including classical. Progressive rock is probably the closest you'll come to classical music in rock imo, at least of the genres I've heard. I think more classical music fans should take a look at prog rock. I don't see why they wouldn't like any of the vids posted.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)