Jump to topic:

What are your thoughts on Citizen Kane

rakingthelawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:52:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I dont know what to think of the film. I believe it is one of the best films of all time, but it's super painfull to watch as Kane goes into insanity.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 5:29:09 PM
At 10/1/2012 2:52:58 PM, rakingthelawn wrote:
I dont know what to think of the film. I believe it is one of the best films of all time, but it's super painfull to watch as Kane goes into insanity.

Way overrated, imo.

How do you feel about Nosferatu? People seem to exhibit the same enthusiasm about that primordial film.
rakingthelawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 5:51:05 PM
At 10/1/2012 5:29:09 PM, Ren wrote:

Way overrated, imo.

How do you feel about Nosferatu? People seem to exhibit the same enthusiasm about that primordial film.

Gotta agree with citizen Kane being overrated. It's not a top 10 film. More around 50.

I thought Nosferatu had very good flow with the editing for it's time and i felt connected with the characters. My major problem with the film was that for me, it lack good lighting aspects and i didn't feel too emerged within the environment.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 9:28:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/2/2012 5:51:05 PM, rakingthelawn wrote:
At 10/1/2012 5:29:09 PM, Ren wrote:

Way overrated, imo.

Gotta agree with citizen Kane being overrated. It's not a top 10 film. More around 50.

I thought Nosferatu had very good flow with the editing for it's time and i felt connected with the characters. My major problem with the film was that for me, it lack good lighting aspects and i didn't feel too emerged within the environment.

You need to know the idiosyncratic stuff for the impact to happen, the most important of which is that Rosebud is not a sled. It was Hearst's nickname for his mistress's vajayjay.

The movie is packed with the personal secrets of a media mogul that he was trying to keep from the public and Welles exposed it all, almost to his ruin because Hearst tried everything he could to block the movie from coming out.

That movie is the first instance of the Rock n Roll movie star and it deserves every bit of accolade it has gotten and will continue to get.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 8:46:46 AM
That's the movie with Michael Cain in it. That's about it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:09:55 AM
At 2/10/2013 8:46:46 AM, sadolite wrote:

It was Dean Cain...duh. everyone knows that.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:03:17 PM
At 2/10/2013 11:09:55 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Apparently not everyone. LOL I knew it was some guy with the last name "Cain" close enough. The fact that I don't know is only an indication that my focus is not who stared in what movie. You may find value in it and that is fine. I see no value in it other than someone else knowing and asking me if I know and then saying everyone knows that when in reality "billions" don't know it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:04:33 PM
At 2/10/2013 1:03:17 PM, sadolite wrote:

Apparently not everyone. LOL I knew it was some guy with the last name "Cain" close enough. The fact that I don't know is only an indication that my focus is not who stared in what movie. You may find value in it and that is fine. I see no value in it other than someone else knowing and asking me if I know and then saying everyone knows that when in reality "billions" don't know it.

I guess this would constitute "additional thoughts"

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:17:22 PM
At 2/10/2013 1:04:33 PM, sadolite wrote:

I can't tell if you're being serious or joking here. Dean Cain played Superman in The Adventures of Lois and Clark, as well as one of Kelly's boyfriends (maybe Donna's...it's been a while) on the original Beverly Hills - 90210, and I'm not even sure his parents would have been born when Citizen Kane debuted, let alone when it was filming.

The movie is about Charles Foster Kane, who is a thinly veiled representation of Wm. Randolph Hearst, who was, in essence, the Rupert Murdoch of his day.

The film exposed a lot of Hearst's dirty little secrets, not the least of which was the impetus for the protagonist to look into Kane's life in the first place, his last word, "Rosebud".

In the movie, it is discovered that Rosebud was Hearst's beloved childhood sled. In reality, it was his pet name for his mistress's vagina.

Hearst, who was immensely powerful and controlled a network of 30 newspapers (in a time before television, so the man had juice), tried to block the movie, Welles's first, from release, and succeeded for quite some time (even after it's debut, which was supposed to be an extravagant affair at Radio City Music Hall, Hearst blocked the film's success by threatening to run smear articles about anyone, or anyone's family, who ran the movie at their theater).

Also, much like George Lucas had to invent special effects that had never been created so that he could bring Star Wars to life, so did Welles innovate film making and special effects in his production of his debut film, Citizen Kane.

It is an absolutely marvelous movie, it is visually stunning, and it remains relevant even today (not too shabby for a movie released in 1941).

If you like movies, you should see it. It's really cool.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 6:59:34 PM
At 2/10/2013 2:17:22 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/10/2013 1:04:33 PM, sadolite wrote:

I can't tell if you're being serious or joking here. Dean Cain played Superman in The Adventures of Lois and Clark, as well as one of Kelly's boyfriends (maybe Donna's...it's been a while) on the original Beverly Hills - 90210, and I'm not even sure his parents would have been born when Citizen Kane debuted, let alone when it was filming.

The movie is about Charles Foster Kane, who is a thinly veiled representation of Wm. Randolph Hearst, who was, in essence, the Rupert Murdoch of his day.

The film exposed a lot of Hearst's dirty little secrets, not the least of which was the impetus for the protagonist to look into Kane's life in the first place, his last word, "Rosebud".

In the movie, it is discovered that Rosebud was Hearst's beloved childhood sled. In reality, it was his pet name for his mistress's vagina.

Hearst, who was immensely powerful and controlled a network of 30 newspapers (in a time before television, so the man had juice), tried to block the movie, Welles's first, from release, and succeeded for quite some time (even after it's debut, which was supposed to be an extravagant affair at Radio City Music Hall, Hearst blocked the film's success by threatening to run smear articles about anyone, or anyone's family, who ran the movie at their theater).

Also, much like George Lucas had to invent special effects that had never been created so that he could bring Star Wars to life, so did Welles innovate film making and special effects in his production of his debut film, Citizen Kane.

It is an absolutely marvelous movie, it is visually stunning, and it remains relevant even today (not too shabby for a movie released in 1941).

If you like movies, you should see it. It's really cool.

I'm the butt of a joke, LOL Dean cain, Michael cain, Charles Foster Kane, Shows how much I care to follow whos who in hollywood. Priceless!!!

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 7:11:05 PM
oh, so you don't like movies...makes sense that you'd be posting in a thread about a movie...totally.

(you gonna know a little bit about movies to like them, otherwise, you're just randomly traipsing from theater to theater hoping to randomly sit in the theater which might be showing the movie you'll like)

Too bad. Movies are cool.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:38:44 PM
At 2/11/2013 7:11:05 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
oh, so you don't like movies...makes sense that you'd be posting in a thread about a movie...totally.

(you gonna know a little bit about movies to like them, otherwise, you're just randomly traipsing from theater to theater hoping to randomly sit in the theater which might be showing the movie you'll like)

I watch movies, I don't idolize the actors like historic figures to be remembered.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 3:30:41 AM
At 2/13/2013 6:38:44 PM, sadolite wrote:

I watch movies, I don't idolize the actors like historic figures to be remembered.

Some actors are historical figures, and some should be remembered. Some directors are historical figures, and some should be remembered. Some producers are historical figures, and some should be remembered.

Citizen Kane
was an important movie because it put forth social criticisms that are important and relevant even today.

The Marx Brothers' Duck Soup was another one of these movies.

Network was another one of these movies.

There are dozens more.

You know who Sylvester Stallone is. George Lucas didn't cause any confusion. Idolizing and recognizing are two very different things.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 5:03:41 PM
At 2/14/2013 3:30:41 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Some actors are historical figures, and some should be remembered. Some directors are historical figures, and some should be remembered. Some producers are historical figures, and some should be remembered.

Citizen Kane
was an important movie because it put forth social criticisms that are important and relevant even today.

There are dozens more.

You know who Sylvester Stallone is. George Lucas didn't cause any confusion. Idolizing and recognizing are two very different things.

Who you think is worthy of historical remembrance and who I think is worthy of historical remembrance is parley that of what a person thinks is important to remember. Who directed and who started in what movie, not so important historically to me. What would I learn from it, that I could use to prevent repeating history in the future. How not to make bad movies?

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:50:24 AM
At 2/14/2013 5:03:41 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/14/2013 3:30:41 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Citizen Kane

There are dozens more.

Who you think is worthy of historical remembrance and who I think is worthy of historical remembrance is parley that of what a person thinks is important to remember. Who directed and who started in what movie, not so important historically to me. What would I learn from it, that I could use to prevent repeating history in the future. How not to make bad movies?

Actually, knowing who made a movie you think stinks would be a good reason to remember who directed a movie. Knowing who made a movie you liked would be another reason.

This is why any time I see Michael Bay's name associated with a movie, I buy as many tickets in advance as possible.

Who doesn't wanna see sh!t blow up for two hours?