Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Best Rappers of All Time

chrumbelievable
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 3:50:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In yet another continuation of my "Best of" lists...

Who do you consider some of the best rappers of all time?

Rap music has become consistently more commercialized, and has lost a lot of its artistic value, over recent years. Therefore, I have trouble considering any modern day rapper, such as Young Jeezy, a "legitimate" artist.

Tops on my list include... Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., and Jay-Z.

Thoughts?
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 4:03:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It depends on your preferences.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Notorious
Scarface
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Mos Def
Jadakiss
Ghostface Killa
GZA

You could say any of them are the best of all time and you could put forward a pretty solid argument either way. Rap isn't like rock where the answer is clear-cult i.e., The Beatles.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 4:06:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I never listened to much of Biggie's music. Jay-z is an overrated little twit who can barely string together a rhyme these days. Tupac's flow and delivery were unmatched in the game until Eminem came along.

I'd say
5. Mos Def
4. Canibus
3. Nas
2. Tupac
1. Eminem

That's just off of the top of my head. I've probably forgotten a few. Btw, if you would combine this forum with Entertainment both of them wouldn't be so deserted.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 4:16:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 4:03:47 PM, socialpinko wrote:
It depends on your preferences.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Notorious
Scarface
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Mos Def
Jadakiss
Ghostface Killa
GZA

You could say any of them are the best of all time and you could put forward a pretty solid argument either way. Rap isn't like rock where the answer is clear-cult i.e., The Beatles.

Oh, there are plenty of people even today who think that the Beatles were overrated. I think rap is even more objective than other music because it isn't as varied. I can say with 100% certainty that Eminem and Tupac are better than Mobb Deep or Royce da 5'9', and I can destroy in debate anyone who thinks otherwise. People are only so split because they idolize one rapper and declare him to be the GOAT. A lot of moderately popular rappers seem to have cult followings who scream that he's the best rapper who's ever lived even if it blatantly flies in the face of MC's who could rhyme 5 syllables 10 time over.

Examples of this would be Canibus or Immortal Technique (who can't even stay on beat, for God's sake). Just go to the YouTube comments on their songs, they're annoying as hell. I mean no disrespect to Canibus, but after he was destroyed by Dizaster in a battle his fans started rambling about how he "wasn't a regular rapper" or how he would have "destroyed Dizaster in the studio." Give it a rest. >.>
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 4:24:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 4:16:29 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 10/5/2012 4:03:47 PM, socialpinko wrote:
It depends on your preferences.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Notorious
Scarface
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Mos Def
Jadakiss
Ghostface Killa
GZA

You could say any of them are the best of all time and you could put forward a pretty solid argument either way. Rap isn't like rock where the answer is clear-cult i.e., The Beatles.

Oh, there are plenty of people even today who think that the Beatles were overrated.

And they'd be wrong lol.

I think rap is even more objective than other music because it isn't as varied. I can say with 100% certainty that Eminem and Tupac are better than Mobb Deep or Royce da 5'9', and I can destroy in debate anyone who thinks otherwise.

You notice I didn't include them in my list because I don't think they're the best. But whether Nas is better than Tupac or whether Rakim is better than Eminem is largely a matter of opinion.

People are only so split because they idolize one rapper and declare him to be the GOAT. A lot of moderately popular rappers seem to have cult followings who scream that he's the best rapper who's ever lived even if it blatantly flies in the face of MC's who could rhyme 5 syllables 10 time over.

I'd agree.

Examples of this would be Canibus or Immortal Technique (who can't even stay on beat, for God's sake).

Watch your mouth.

Just go to the YouTube comments on their songs, they're annoying as hell. I mean no disrespect to Canibus, but after he was destroyed by Dizaster in a battle his fans started rambling about how he "wasn't a regular rapper" or how he would have "destroyed Dizaster in the studio." Give it a rest. >.>

I don't really like Canibus all that much anyways ;)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 7:57:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 4:03:47 PM, socialpinko wrote:
It depends on your preferences.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Notorious
Scarface
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Mos Def
Jadakiss
Ghostface Killa
GZA

You could say any of them are the best of all time and you could put forward a pretty solid argument either way. Rap isn't like rock where the answer is clear-cult i.e., The Beatles.

Very respectable list.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 7:58:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 4:16:29 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 10/5/2012 4:03:47 PM, socialpinko wrote:
It depends on your preferences.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Notorious
Scarface
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Mos Def
Jadakiss
Ghostface Killa
GZA

You could say any of them are the best of all time and you could put forward a pretty solid argument either way. Rap isn't like rock where the answer is clear-cult i.e., The Beatles.

Oh, there are plenty of people even today who think that the Beatles were overrated. I think rap is even more objective than other music because it isn't as varied. I can say with 100% certainty that Eminem and Tupac are better than Mobb Deep or Royce da 5'9', and I can destroy in debate anyone who thinks otherwise. People are only so split because they idolize one rapper and declare him to be the GOAT. A lot of moderately popular rappers seem to have cult followings who scream that he's the best rapper who's ever lived even if it blatantly flies in the face of MC's who could rhyme 5 syllables 10 time over.

Examples of this would be Canibus or Immortal Technique (who can't even stay on beat, for God's sake). Just go to the YouTube comments on their songs, they're annoying as hell. I mean no disrespect to Canibus, but after he was destroyed by Dizaster in a battle his fans started rambling about how he "wasn't a regular rapper" or how he would have "destroyed Dizaster in the studio." Give it a rest. >.>

Immortal Technique is way of out place in this post here. What are you even talking about? Immortal Technique is legend.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 8:22:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 4:03:47 PM, socialpinko wrote:
It depends on your preferences.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Notorious
Scarface
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Mos Def
Jadakiss
Ghostface Killa
GZA

You could say any of them are the best of all time and you could put forward a pretty solid argument either way. Rap isn't like rock where the answer is clear-cult i.e., The Beatles.

My man with the nice list.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:00:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/13/2012 7:58:22 PM, Ren wrote:
At 10/5/2012 4:16:29 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 10/5/2012 4:03:47 PM, socialpinko wrote:
It depends on your preferences.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Notorious
Scarface
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Mos Def
Jadakiss
Ghostface Killa
GZA

You could say any of them are the best of all time and you could put forward a pretty solid argument either way. Rap isn't like rock where the answer is clear-cult i.e., The Beatles.

Oh, there are plenty of people even today who think that the Beatles were overrated. I think rap is even more objective than other music because it isn't as varied. I can say with 100% certainty that Eminem and Tupac are better than Mobb Deep or Royce da 5'9', and I can destroy in debate anyone who thinks otherwise. People are only so split because they idolize one rapper and declare him to be the GOAT. A lot of moderately popular rappers seem to have cult followings who scream that he's the best rapper who's ever lived even if it blatantly flies in the face of MC's who could rhyme 5 syllables 10 time over.

Examples of this would be Canibus or Immortal Technique (who can't even stay on beat, for God's sake). Just go to the YouTube comments on their songs, they're annoying as hell. I mean no disrespect to Canibus, but after he was destroyed by Dizaster in a battle his fans started rambling about how he "wasn't a regular rapper" or how he would have "destroyed Dizaster in the studio." Give it a rest. >.>

Immortal Technique is way of out place in this post here. What are you even talking about? Immortal Technique is legend.

No. His songs have nice beats but he can't keep up with decent MCs.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:01:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Comparison:
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:28:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Vinnie Paz (Jedi Mind Tricks)
Canibus
Immortal Technique
Lupe Fiasco
Jay-Z
Bone Thugs
RZA
Black Star (Talib/Mos)
Eminem
Army of the Pharaohs
Nas
Snoop Dogg
2 Pac
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 6:18:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Vanilla Ice
Tupac
Krispy Kreme
Snoop doggy dog
Shaggy (He is a rapper, get over yourself)
ICP (Fvcking magnets brah)
The Average Homeboy
Antoine Dodson
Jon Lajoie
Canibus
The Lonely Island

Seriously, rap is bad.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 6:20:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The thug life chose me bro.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 12:18:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Eminem, Slim Shady, Marshall Mathers, B-Rabbit, and the White guy from D12.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 3:30:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/15/2012 6:18:54 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Vanilla Ice
Tupac
Krispy Kreme
Snoop doggy dog
Shaggy (He is a rapper, get over yourself)
ICP (Fvcking magnets brah)
The Average Homeboy
Antoine Dodson
Jon Lajoie
Canibus
The Lonely Island

Seriously, rap is bad.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 6:31:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
ALL TIME FAVOURITE: Eminem
Eminem is the artist who made rap my favourite genre of music. He is a wizard with words. I'd like to see him make a Conscious album next.

CURRENT FAVOURITE: Lupe Fiasco
Wow, just wow. I've been listening to his 4 albums on shuffle constantly and can't bring myself to listen to anyone else. His style and themes are brilliant.

NOTABLES:
Biggie: Died way too soon. :/ He has the most amazing hip-hop voice, bar none.
Kanye West: Can't deny it; he's a massive wanker but some of his songs are catchy as fvck.
N.W.A: These black gentlemen with behavioural malfunctions just made me want to be a bad motherfvcker.

AUSSIE HIP-HOP Y'ALL PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF:
Yes, we have rappers here and they're really, really good. I find myself much more able to relate to local rappers than American rappers mainly because the 'gangster life' so often referred to is irrelevant here. I don't really think we have a 'conscious' section of rap in Australia. It's all pretty conscious... so unless I get a man crush (I'm looking at you Lupe) this is what I'm generally listening to:
Drapht, Bliss N Eso, Hilltop Hoods, Butterfingers, The Herd, Mantra, Illy, M-Phazes and so on.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 6:32:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Also, I like Nas and Jay-Z but I don't see them as "the greatest of all time" or even as pioneers really... And I've been far too saturated with Tupac to enjoy him anymore. I think Biggie is superior in every way.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 6:50:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not gonna lie, it's B.o.B.. I know he's my profile pic, but he is sooo amazing. He is very underrated as a rapper, but he is very good. In his songs and mixtapes, he mixes hard rap with slow rap with some singing and some good ol' weed and partying songs. His albums are both amazing and i listen to all of his songs on a playlist and i never get bored. He is simply amazing and I will always be a fan.

GO B.O.B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 11:12:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 6:50:14 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
I'm not gonna lie, it's B.o.B.. I know he's my profile pic, but he is sooo amazing. He is very underrated as a rapper, but he is very good. In his songs and mixtapes, he mixes hard rap with slow rap with some singing and some good ol' weed and partying songs. His albums are both amazing and i listen to all of his songs on a playlist and i never get bored. He is simply amazing and I will always be a fan.

GO B.O.B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear god I hope this is trolling.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 6:11:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 6:32:27 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Also, I like Nas and Jay-Z but I don't see them as "the greatest of all time" or even as pioneers really... And I've been far too saturated with Tupac to enjoy him anymore. I think Biggie is superior in every way.

Hmmm... I don't think you've heard enough Nas.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 6:36:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
@MouthWash

You are false. That NoClue track was garbage. Immortal Technique has an excellent flow. It is on beat. You can't use a song called "Obnoxious" to make your point that IT can't flow. It's called Obnoxious, plus the beat was so sporadic, no one could flow right over that beat.

Immortal Technique AND Canibus tear his ILL beat UP. You hear that sociopinko?

(Click video title to listen in Youtube)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2012 12:33:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 11:12:21 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 10/18/2012 6:50:14 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
I'm not gonna lie, it's B.o.B.. I know he's my profile pic, but he is sooo amazing. He is very underrated as a rapper, but he is very good. In his songs and mixtapes, he mixes hard rap with slow rap with some singing and some good ol' weed and partying songs. His albums are both amazing and i listen to all of his songs on a playlist and i never get bored. He is simply amazing and I will always be a fan.

GO B.O.B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear god I hope this is trolling.

You know what? Fvck you mouthwash.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2012 3:22:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Freddie Mercury invented rap when he was drunk. It was originally a white guy thing, but it got ruined by the white guys. Black guys originally based their rap off of the early white guys, but they too ruined it. Only Freddie was a true rapper. So, therefore, Freddie was the greatest rapper of all time.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 5:27:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/19/2012 6:11:59 PM, Ren wrote:
At 10/18/2012 6:32:27 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Also, I like Nas and Jay-Z but I don't see them as "the greatest of all time" or even as pioneers really... And I've been far too saturated with Tupac to enjoy him anymore. I think Biggie is superior in every way.

Hmmm... I don't think you've heard enough Nas.

I've listened to plenty of Nas. Illmatic is a great album and NY State of Mind counts among my favourite songs. However, as a whole picture (just like Jay-Z) he is a bit meh. If you want to bring out a dozen albums and hundreds of songs, you have to make sure you keep up the quality. I listen to Jay-Z and Nas and I'm just like "80% of the stuff you've released is not that great". They should take a leaf out of Dr Dres book.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 6:58:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/21/2012 5:27:45 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/19/2012 6:11:59 PM, Ren wrote:
At 10/18/2012 6:32:27 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Also, I like Nas and Jay-Z but I don't see them as "the greatest of all time" or even as pioneers really... And I've been far too saturated with Tupac to enjoy him anymore. I think Biggie is superior in every way.

Hmmm... I don't think you've heard enough Nas.

I've listened to plenty of Nas. Illmatic is a great album and NY State of Mind counts among my favourite songs. However, as a whole picture (just like Jay-Z) he is a bit meh. If you want to bring out a dozen albums and hundreds of songs, you have to make sure you keep up the quality. I listen to Jay-Z and Nas and I'm just like "80% of the stuff you've released is not that great". They should take a leaf out of Dr Dres book.

What? What?? You're literally making that comparison? How does one even say "Nas and Jay Z," as though they're even in the same genus of hip hop organism taxa?

Here. Five songs off the top of my head. Please, explain to me how any of these songs are "meh."

The last one is the best...
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:31:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 3:50:10 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
In yet another continuation of my "Best of" lists...

Who do you consider some of the best rappers of all time?

Rap music has become consistently more commercialized, and has lost a lot of its artistic value, over recent years. Therefore, I have trouble considering any modern day rapper, such as Young Jeezy, a "legitimate" artist.

Tops on my list include... Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., and Jay-Z.

Thoughts?

Not a fan of Rap but I always liked Ice T's voice: "I am-a-nightmare-walking.."
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:32:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/20/2012 3:22:58 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Freddie Mercury invented rap when he was drunk. It was originally a white guy thing, but it got ruined by the white guys. Black guys originally based their rap off of the early white guys, but they too ruined it. Only Freddie was a true rapper. So, therefore, Freddie was the greatest rapper of all time.

Er.. Muhammad Ali invented Rap..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:40:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/23/2012 9:32:22 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 10/20/2012 3:22:58 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Freddie Mercury invented rap when he was drunk. It was originally a white guy thing, but it got ruined by the white guys. Black guys originally based their rap off of the early white guys, but they too ruined it. Only Freddie was a true rapper. So, therefore, Freddie was the greatest rapper of all time.

Er.. Muhammad Ali invented Rap..

Are you people serious?