Jump to topic:

Greatest Albums of All Time

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 3:33:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And yet another extension of my "Best/Greatest/Worst of" series...

What do you consider to be some of the greatest albums of all time, and why?

"Greatest," of course, is almost entirely subjective. However, the criteria I deem appropriate are 1) Musical talent and ability, 2) Artistic innovation, and 3) Cultural and social influence.

Tops on my list include: "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band " by The Beatles, "London Calling" by The Clash, "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys, and "Highway 61 Revisited" by Bob Dylan.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 3:39:06 PM
Escape ~ Journey
Sgt. Peppers ~ The Beatles
White Album ~ The Beatles
Everything by the Carpenters
Hunky Dory ~ David Bowie
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 9:51:54 PM
The Wall - Pink Floyd

Masterpiece...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:17:23 PM
EVERY song here is genius. There are no album-fillers.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:45:42 PM
I don't make any claims to objectivity, these are just the ones I personally think are pretty damn good.

Sgt. Peppers and Revolver- The Beatles
Waiting For the Sun and LA Woman- The Doors
In Utero, Bleach, and Nevermind- Nirvana
All Eyez on Me and Don Killuminati- Tupac
Icky Thump- White Stripes
Superunknown- Soundgarden
Ready to Die- Notorious
Sublime (self-titled)- Sublime- literally no bad song on the album
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 8:12:33 AM
Oh, Tapestry by Carole King.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:14:01 AM
Queen: A Day at the Races

IMO.

P.S I am branching out into all the forums. Soon I will be posting in all of them!!!

P.P.S Isn't there a meme for "all the?"
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:48:41 AM
At 10/12/2012 9:14:01 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:

IMO.

P.S I am branching out into all the forums. Soon I will be posting in all of them!!!

http://i.imgur.com...
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 5:57:02 AM
Exile on main st -Stones

White album -Beatles

Pills thrills & bellyaches -Happy mondays

Radiator -Super furry animals

Appetite for destruction -Guns n roses

Double fantasy -John Lennon & Yoko Ono
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 11:03:04 PM
Disintegration by The Cure

Love every song on that album.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 6:48:32 PM
All 14 studio albums by Queen with Freddie Mercury (I do not consider 'Flash' to be a studio album, but a movie soundtrack) are at the top of my list. But let's list my top 5.

5. Made in Heaven(1995)- Was a collection of old demos and vocals before Freddie died, recreated into a whole album of songs, and I love all of them.

4. Innuendo(1991)- The final album before Freddie died, this was his parting bang on the world. Exploring the concepts of Death (The Show must go On), Time (These are the Days of our Lives), and Corruption (Innuendo), this was simply a masterpiece.

3. A Night at the Opera(1975)- Commonly #1 on the list of best Queen albums, this was their breakthrough into the world. The song most assosciated with Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) is on this album. With songs like 'You're my Best Friend' and 'Death on Two Legs', this album is not just a one-song wonder. It was a gamble by Queen, as they were broke at this time, and put one of the largest amounts ever for an album to create this, but it paid off enormously for Queen.

2. The Game(1980)- This was the most financially successful Queen album. It was the midpoint of Queen stylistacly with Freddie Mercury, as it was a mix of the 70's that had finished, and the 80's which had yet to come. It had Queen's only 2 Billboard 100 #1's. Those songs were 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'Another One Bites the Dust', and they were masterly, and the impact of these songs are still felt throughout today. With other songs such as the power ballad 'Save Me', and two creative songs 'Prime Jive' and 'Don't try Suicide', there is no going wrong with this album.

1. Hot Space (No, I am kidding.)

The REAL 1. News of the World(1977)- This is a classic, at it's essence. It has probably 2 of the top 5 most recognizable songs of all time on it ('We will Rock You' and 'We are the Champions'), showing it's massive influence. It has a very underrated song in Shear Heart Attack, and has the great Brian May ballad 'All Dead' (Which is actually about his cat. Listen to the song, and try thinking of a cat being described. Yeah, me neither.). It is the pure definition of just shear win. News of the World, in my opinion, is the greatest Queen album of all time, and the greatest album ever. Ever.

Runners-Up(In Order)- A Kind of Magic(1986), The Miracle(Freddie with a wispy beard is just epic)(1989), Hot Space(Other Queen loyalists may lynch me over this, but I really like it)(1982)
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 7:17:47 PM
At 10/29/2012 6:48:32 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
All 14 studio albums by Queen with Freddie Mercury (I do not consider 'Flash' to be a studio album, but a movie soundtrack) are at the top of my list. But let's list my top 5.

5. Made in Heaven(1995)- Was a collection of old demos and vocals before Freddie died, recreated into a whole album of songs, and I love all of them.

4. Innuendo(1991)- The final album before Freddie died, this was his parting bang on the world. Exploring the concepts of Death (The Show must go On), Time (These are the Days of our Lives), and Corruption (Innuendo), this was simply a masterpiece.

3. A Night at the Opera(1975)- Commonly #1 on the list of best Queen albums, this was their breakthrough into the world. The song most assosciated with Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) is on this album. With songs like 'You're my Best Friend' and 'Death on Two Legs', this album is not just a one-song wonder. It was a gamble by Queen, as they were broke at this time, and put one of the largest amounts ever for an album to create this, but it paid off enormously for Queen.

2. The Game(1980)- This was the most financially successful Queen album. It was the midpoint of Queen stylistacly with Freddie Mercury, as it was a mix of the 70's that had finished, and the 80's which had yet to come. It had Queen's only 2 Billboard 100 #1's. Those songs were 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'Another One Bites the Dust', and they were masterly, and the impact of these songs are still felt throughout today. With other songs such as the power ballad 'Save Me', and two creative songs 'Prime Jive' and 'Don't try Suicide', there is no going wrong with this album.

The REAL 1. News of the World(1977)- This is a classic, at it's essence. It has probably 2 of the top 5 most recognizable songs of all time on it ('We will Rock You' and 'We are the Champions'), showing it's massive influence. It has a very underrated song in Shear Heart Attack, and has the great Brian May ballad 'All Dead' (Which is actually about his cat. Listen to the song, and try thinking of a cat being described. Yeah, me neither.). It is the pure definition of just shear win. News of the World, in my opinion, is the greatest Queen album of all time, and the greatest album ever. Ever.

Runners-Up(In Order)- A Kind of Magic(1986), The Miracle(Freddie with a wispy beard is just epic)(1989), Hot Space(Other Queen loyalists may lynch me over this, but I really like it)(1982)

WHERE IS JAZZ?!?!?!?!
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 10:05:45 PM
At 10/29/2012 7:17:47 PM, Chicken wrote:
At 10/29/2012 6:48:32 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

WHERE IS JAZZ?!?!?!?!

Jazz wasn't the best. It was good, don't get me wrong. Just not in my Top 5/8
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 2:17:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/12/2012 9:14:01 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:

IMO.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 12:36:06 PM
Feels Like Today- Rascal Flatts(not a single bad song on that album
Moving Pictures- Rush
The Grand Illusion- Styx
Unleashed in the East- Judas Priest(best live album in terms of tracks/quality i've listened to.)
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 2:34:07 PM
At 10/9/2012 11:17:23 PM, MouthWash wrote:
EVERY song here is genius. There are no album-fillers.

It's like you want me to hate you.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 2:55:01 PM
Clearly Led Zeppelin IV
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler