Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Guitar Strings

theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:16:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm looking to replace the strings on my guitar and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Looking for something cheap, not bad; funds are low at the moment.
When Reach fell, I came.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.
When Reach fell, I came.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:28:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

I have no idea...This is the first time I'm going to replace the 30 year old strings...I feel 'tarded.
When Reach fell, I came.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:31:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:28:15 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

I have no idea...This is the first time I'm going to replace the 30 year old strings...I feel 'tarded.

Get someone to do it for ya.

Anyway, I got a set of strings for €5. I don't know how that works out in your significantly inferior currency.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:35:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Between 7 and 7.50 dollars.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:38:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:35:46 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Between 7 and 7.50 dollars.

The price is probably a bit lower than that because:

1) We have much higher Sales Tax

2) OBAMA!!!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:39:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Obama means inflation means higher prices on this end of the water.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:43:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:39:27 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Obama means inflation means higher prices on this end of the water.

I keep getting the pool ends mixed up. You should come over some time. We have Socialised cookies and Socialised public diving boards at this end.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:45:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have a socialized pool that probably has a diving board a few blocks away. Cookies thankfully are generally unsocialized beyond the secondary school level.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:51:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:45:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I have a socialized pool that probably has a diving board a few blocks away. Cookies thankfully are generally unsocialized beyond the secondary school level.

But we have nice flavours such a Double Marxist chip, Lenin N' Lime and Trotskyeo's
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:53:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Silly lefties. Lenin & Lime is a soda flavor, not a cookie flavor. The latter is simply wrong.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 2:55:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:53:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Silly lefties. Lenin & Lime is a soda flavor, not a cookie flavor. The latter is simply wrong.

http://70.86.183.130/~malibanb/maliban/images/uploads/lemon_puff.jpg

And I had no idea for socialising Oreos.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:00:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was using is as idiom for ought :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:01:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

Just keep winding the machine head and pulling the string tight so it unwinds, then pull it out of the hole. Couldn't be easier. As for replacing the string, it's easy as man just get yourself a pair of pliers, a pair of wire cutters and I'm sure somewhere on the net there is a tutorial. It really is very easy.

And make sure when you're tuning new strings, you slowly tune a bit, then detune til it's slack, then tune a little higher than the last time, repeat. This will ensure you don't break another string.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:04:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 3:01:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

Just keep winding the machine head and pulling the string tight so it unwinds, then pull it out of the hole. Couldn't be easier. As for replacing the string, it's easy as man just get yourself a pair of pliers, a pair of wire cutters and I'm sure somewhere on the net there is a tutorial. It really is very easy.


It's caught at the other end.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:13:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 3:04:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:01:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

Just keep winding the machine head and pulling the string tight so it unwinds, then pull it out of the hole. Couldn't be easier. As for replacing the string, it's easy as man just get yourself a pair of pliers, a pair of wire cutters and I'm sure somewhere on the net there is a tutorial. It really is very easy.


It's caught at the other end.

If you turn your guitar over, is there holes in the bottom of it? If so, just push the string out through that. If not, post a pic of your guitar model and I'll tell you how.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 5:35:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It depends on what kind of sound you want - I suggest looking around Google for recommendations (since I don't know your specs, and I probably won't come back to check). For example, are you using acoustic or electric? Acoustic guitar strings are generally thicker and tighter, since they need to generate a moderate amount of sound without electric amplification. Also, the thickness of the string can lead to different sounds (thick lower strings can give you a good meaty metal sound).
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 10:55:47 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/28/2009 3:13:54 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:04:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:01:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

Just keep winding the machine head and pulling the string tight so it unwinds, then pull it out of the hole. Couldn't be easier. As for replacing the string, it's easy as man just get yourself a pair of pliers, a pair of wire cutters and I'm sure somewhere on the net there is a tutorial. It really is very easy.


It's caught at the other end.

If you turn your guitar over, is there holes in the bottom of it? If so, just push the string out through that. If not, post a pic of your guitar model and I'll tell you how.

www.promusicalaska.com/store_images/3479-300.jpg
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 2:03:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 1:52:51 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
My bad...double post

BTW, I have an acoustic if that wasn't apparent.

Find out what strings that guy uses :P.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 2:21:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 2:03:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/29/2009 1:52:51 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
My bad...double post

BTW, I have an acoustic if that wasn't apparent.

Find out what strings that guy uses :P.

I've been trying.
When Reach fell, I came.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 2:43:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 10:55:47 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:13:54 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:04:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:01:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

Just keep winding the machine head and pulling the string tight so it unwinds, then pull it out of the hole. Couldn't be easier. As for replacing the string, it's easy as man just get yourself a pair of pliers, a pair of wire cutters and I'm sure somewhere on the net there is a tutorial. It really is very easy.


It's caught at the other end.

If you turn your guitar over, is there holes in the bottom of it? If so, just push the string out through that. If not, post a pic of your guitar model and I'll tell you how.

www.promusicalaska.com/store_images/3479-300.jpg

Oh, that's even easier then man. See where the strings come to an end on the guitar body? Just get a pair of pliars or something similar and pull out those little bead-type things. They might be a bit hard to pull out first time round, but they will come out. Once you've pulled those out, the strings will just lift out.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 12:05:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 2:43:35 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/29/2009 10:55:47 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:13:54 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:04:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 3:01:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:25:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:22:13 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 9/28/2009 2:19:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Funny you should say that, I broke my B string when tuning it (>.>). My guitar teacher is going to fix it for me (No charge I hope), but should I take off the broken string? I don't want to appear stupid either way,

Hmmm....I've never taken lessons so I'm not sure....The best course of action in my mind would be to take the string off and come in with another B string ready to have put on.

Have the B string, how do you suggest I take the string off?

Just keep winding the machine head and pulling the string tight so it unwinds, then pull it out of the hole. Couldn't be easier. As for replacing the string, it's easy as man just get yourself a pair of pliers, a pair of wire cutters and I'm sure somewhere on the net there is a tutorial. It really is very easy.


It's caught at the other end.

If you turn your guitar over, is there holes in the bottom of it? If so, just push the string out through that. If not, post a pic of your guitar model and I'll tell you how.

www.promusicalaska.com/store_images/3479-300.jpg

Oh, that's even easier then man. See where the strings come to an end on the guitar body? Just get a pair of pliars or something similar and pull out those little bead-type things. They might be a bit hard to pull out first time round, but they will come out. Once you've pulled those out, the strings will just lift out.

May have gone overkill on the pliers but yeay!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Metallicker
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 7:06:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/29/2009 1:52:19 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
I'm looking for strings that will give me a sound close to this...


Any suggestions?

While the strings do add to your tone, by far the biggest factors in acheiving good tone and sustain are:
A) The types of wood used to construct the guitar
B) The shape and size/depth of the body
C) The age of said woods

The tone of your acoustic will acually change over a long period of time as the wood ages (emphasis on LONG), its pretty cool actually. They tend to resonate better and give a warmer tone, its not a huge difference but it is a nice sound
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2009 11:16:34 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/1/2009 1:41:20 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
I've got another question. Where should I be able to find the serial number on the guitar?

No clue.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.