Jump to topic:

Greatest Guitarists of All Time

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 4:35:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who do you consider to be some of the greatest guitarists of all time?

Common names on popular lists include: Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ry Cooder, Jimmy Page, and Keith Richards.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 4:41:59 PM
George Harrison
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 7:30:38 PM
Jimi Hendrix, Robert Fripp, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, and Andrew Latimer (maybe)

That's a bit bias though but Fripp is hugely underrated.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 7:42:07 PM
James Taylor.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 8:13:43 PM
Kurt Cobain
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 9:05:41 AM
At 10/19/2012 4:35:09 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:

Common names on popular lists include: Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ry Cooder, Jimmy Page, and Keith Richards.

Jimmy Page, head and shoulders..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 7:25:49 PM
Jimi Hendrix followed by Slash.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 7:26:18 PM
Jimmy Page number 3, B.B King is 4
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 12:22:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago

SRV without a doubt. It's not even close.

http://youtu.be...
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
RedneckR0nin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 3:02:48 AM

Jimi Hendrix, Magic Sam, Leadbelly, Wes Montgomery, John Scofield, Joe Satriani, Jimmy Page, and the most underrated one of present time Larry LaLonde
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 3:43:26 PM

Johnny Winter.

Harry.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 4:16:14 PM
Ross the Boss
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 9:38:44 AM
I'm gonna go with the guy that Guitarist Magazine just named the greatest Rock guitarist of all time, and one that apparently didn't show up on anyone's radar here - Tony Iommi.

Now, is he the most technical virtuoso to ever pick up an axe?

No, but give the guy a break. He had the top knuckles of his fret hand cut off in an industrial accident, and just figuring out that he could still play with his stubby little fingers (Stubbs was his nickname) if he tuned his guitar way down was probably pretty tough at a time when it had never been done before (for that purpose...I know - old blues guys did similar, for other reasons), and it showed incredible imagination and love for the instrument.

Do you have any idea how many riffs this guy has stuck in your head? Want me to show you? It's a lot.

Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, as well as Chet Atkins would round out my top 3, with Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, Roy Clark and Jack White completing my top 10

(as many times as I've heard the song in the vid, or as too many times as I've heard it, it doesn't get old, because that riff will never get old because that riff is pure genius, and about as simple as it gets...just wait for the break, though...he shreds plenty during his solo, in addition to building an orchestral like progression out of, essentially, 2 chords, which makes for a ridiculously complex piece of music - if I was gonna believe in magic, this is the kind of thing that would convince me)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 9:54:01 AM
Roy Clark on The Odd Couple (1971) - someone ask for classical guitar? (no offense...you chose some good ones as well, especially Paco)

Listen to Chet play the melody, bass and percussion all on his 6-string. I've seen 3 other guitarists even attempt this with any success and those were Jack White and the guitarists from GodHead Silo and The Kills (being in power duos, especially in the case of White, since Meg is about as good a drummer as Lars Ulrich is at not being a whiny little prick, necessitates this somewhat)

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 9:23:40 PM
At 1/11/2013 9:54:01 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
Listen to Chet play the melody, bass and percussion all on his 6-string. I've seen 3 other guitarists even attempt this with any success and those were Jack White and the guitarists from GodHead Silo and The Kills

There are thousands of country, rockabilly, jazz, and fingerstyle guitarists who do this. I can do this. Chet is not playing genuine percussion, he's playing a percussive bass thump on the 1 and 5 of each chord. Here's one of my favorite guitarists adding full-hand percussion on the 2 and 4, while doing the bass thump and melody starting at 0:30.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 12:27:37 AM
At 1/11/2013 9:23:40 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 1/11/2013 9:54:01 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
Listen to Chet play the melody, bass and percussion all on his 6-string. I've seen 3 other guitarists even attempt this with any success and those were Jack White and the guitarists from GodHead Silo and The Kills

There are thousands of country, rockabilly, jazz, and fingerstyle guitarists who do this. I can do this. Chet is not playing genuine percussion, he's playing a percussive bass thump on the 1 and 5 of each chord. Here's one of my favorite guitarists adding full-hand percussion on the 2 and 4, while doing the bass thump and melody starting at 0:30.

10 guitarists, at least 7 of whom weren't mentioned in this thread previously, and the guitar player only finds fault with one of them. Guess I'm doin' somethin' right.

Must be clean livin'.

There were 2 others I forgot (a lot, actually, but these 2 don't get the respect they deserve)

Prince
Jon Squire

Oh sh!t, and Kerry King...how did I brain fart on that one? He and Prince need to be squeezed into the top 10 somehow.

and Les Paul and Chuck Berry...

Oh, and the dude who invented Rock n Roll - Ike Turner...duh. (the guitar is really turned up in the mix on that vid for some reason...Mostly, I just watch it for the Ikettes at the beginning. G0DDAM!!!! Too fine.

So many to choose from.

Thanks for the link/vid...nice.

Anonymous.Anonymity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 5:10:28 PM
John Petrucci, when he isn't shredding all over the place. Hehe. I enjoy his music though, from his solo album. Also, Al Di Meola, Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton, and Tommy Emmanuel.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 12:30:12 PM
Jack White has got to get some more love here. He's a new guy, but he knows the meaning of simplicity and subtlety, and wow, he's got the blues.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 1:22:49 PM
Andres Segovia, of course, Julian Bream, and Narcisco Yepes.

On the other side of things, I'm impressed by Hendrix, Robert Johnson, B.B. King and Santana.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
StevenDixon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 12:49:10 AM
Tosin Abasi is objectively the best https://www.youtube.com...

Muhammed Suicmez who's riffs are more difficult and complicated than his solos

Guthrie Govan

Of course AJ mustache from the human abstract is amazing
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:32:30 PM
At 5/19/2013 12:49:10 AM, StevenDixon wrote:

Out of curiosity, how is Tosin Abasi objectively the best guitarist? How is it that he, regardless of personal opinion, is better than any other guitarist?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
StevenDixon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:17:45 PM
At 5/21/2013 8:32:30 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 5/19/2013 12:49:10 AM, StevenDixon wrote:

Out of curiosity, how is Tosin Abasi objectively the best guitarist? How is it that he, regardless of personal opinion, is better than any other guitarist?

Tosin abasi is god

God is the greatest conceivable being

It is greater to objectively be the best guitar than to not

Therefore Tosin abasi is objectively the best guitarist

I call that the ontological argument for Tosinism.
StevenDixon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:19:06 PM
At 5/18/2013 12:30:12 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Jack White has got to get some more love here. He's a new guy, but he knows the meaning of simplicity and subtlety, and wow, he's got the blues.

Someone that's been playing guitar for a week knows the meaning of simplicity, ironically they probably can play all of Jack white's songs also.
StevenDixon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 10:30:58 PM
Joey Eppard

Jason Richardson formerly of born of osiris

Lee Mckinney of born of osiris, this is a demonstration that you can write catchy, emotional riffs without playing like a 5 year old child
genios
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 9:11:22 AM
i am really not fond of watching guitarists, but after I watched a video of Sungha Jung, I think he's next in line on the list of greatest guitarists of all time.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 10:16:15 PM
90% of the guitarists named are not among the top 1000. This is why non-musicians should not comment on threads like this. Peace~
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.