Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Have any artists changed/saved your life?

Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 2:50:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is there an artist--visual or musical--who has either saved or changed your life at one point or another?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 7:20:09 PM
The following art(ists) have changed my life, the way I see things, or otherwise left a lasting impression on me that made a difference:

Les Miserables music
Vincent Van Gogh
Salvador Dali
Michelangelo
Monet
The Beatles
Billy Joel
Bob Dylan
Bruce Spingsteen
Cat Stevens
David Bowie
The Doors
Elton
Led Zeppelin
Phish
Pink floyd
Simon and Garfunkel
the Who
Tchaikovsky
Wagner

This is not including philosophers and writers. If it were, I'd have to add at least 50 more to the list.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 8:47:01 PM
James Taylor.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 9:00:23 PM
Music's changed my life since it's the thing that elevates my emotional state more than anything.

I think I agree with Nietzsche when he said "without music, life would be a mistake."

I'd include the following artists/composers off the top of my head.

Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Camel
Moody Blues
Hans Zimmer
Bach
Explosions in the Sky
David Minasian
Beethoven
Debussy
David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Richard Wright (Pink Floyd members solo albums besides Mason)
The Cure
MGMT
Gorilaz
Be Bop Deluxe (Not a be-bop band btw!)
Van Der Graaf Generator
The Beatles
John Lennon
Caravan
Brian Eno
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 9:02:40 PM
and David Bowie of course!
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bellarina
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 1:11:24 PM
yes. Ariana Grande and Bella Thorne have really changed my perspective of people. They have absolutely changed my life and had a big impact.
RedneckR0nin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 3:12:16 AM
Professor Longhair and the Meters definitely influenced me musically and artistically like no other. In regards to literature.....Steven Jesse Bernstein, William Burroughs, Ken Kessey, Jack Kerouac, Allan Ginsberg most definitely.
With life as a whole....Earth as a artist and the Human race...more so my son and the beauty of all three inspire and change me daily!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 4:55:51 AM
No.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 12:29:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Jedi Mind Tricks

Underground rap group that introduced me to hidden knowledge and political awareness. Changed my entire way of thinking. Musically their sound was one of a kind, real instruments were recorded, sampled and looped to create an organic sound while laced with aggressive, but rhythmic raps by Vinnie Paz and Jus Allah.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 12:31:02 PM
At 12/12/2012 12:29:45 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Jedi Mind Tricks

Underground rap group that introduced me to hidden knowledge and political awareness. Changed my entire way of thinking. Musically their sound was one of a kind, real instruments were recorded, sampled and looped to create an organic sound while laced with aggressive, but rhythmic raps by Vinnie Paz and Jus Allah.

OMG, I haven't heard them in forever. Siiiigggghhh, you just gave me the best memories evar. Oh, it was a blessed time, when I discovered indie hh. I thoroughly share your enthusiasm.
Azul145
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 6:50:45 PM
My life has been changed by a TV show called Deathnote if you consider that an art.
Everything is going according to my plan.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 6:59:11 PM
I was once in a coma that I couldnt wake up from, but then justin Bieber came on the radio. It was so bad that I had to wake up to turn it off.

So yeah, Justin Bieber saved my life, with its badness.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 2:04:23 PM
At 12/3/2012 2:50:41 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Is there an artist--visual or musical--who has either saved or changed your life at one point or another?

TOM WAITS
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 11:45:12 PM
Stumbling onto the show "Derren Brown: Mind Control" was a game changer for me way back when. It got me thinking skeptical.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:44:53 AM
At 1/16/2013 11:45:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Stumbling onto the show "Derren Brown: Mind Control" was a game changer for me way back when. It got me thinking skeptical.

"I"m a big fan of parrots " I think they"re fascinating creatures. Many of them live for longer than us humans and it's interesting to me the way they learn to mimic human voices even though they don't really comprehend what they're saying." - Derren Brown.

Haha, I get what he's trying to do... The emperor is naked indeed
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 8:54:50 PM
Indeed. Many have. Counting only visual-musical, these are just the few I can think of right now:

Stephen Sondheim
Vampire Weekend
Edith Piaf
Stephen Schwartz
Andy Warhol
Edward Hopper
Rogers and Hammerstein
Pablo Picasso
Queen
Charlie McDonnell
Claude-Michel Schonberg
Herbert Kretzmer
Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons
The Ink Spots
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
rogerf305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:36:50 AM
At 12/3/2012 2:50:41 PM, Jessalyn wrote:

I can't really say any artist has changed or made an impact in my life, I listen to almost any music regardless of the Genre or Artist, as a teenager I liked Rap before it became basically known as hip hop, RUN DMC, BEASTIE BOYS, that kind of style I was in elementary then as I got to Jr. High the music scene changed my likes also changed, I listened to Magic Mike & Bass in general, then I was in a car accident & was in the hospital about 3years including about 6monhs in a coma, now I'm 38 & listen to a lot of Genres except country, never really liked the tempo or rhythm of it, now I pretty much listen to Salsa, Merengue, & Oldies, but just like with everything in life, things change.
rogerf305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:39:46 AM
There was a time between 'rap' & 'Bass' I listened to a lot of Rock everything from AEROSMITH to ZZ TOP