Jump to topic:

This piece I found

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 6:48:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There's something powerful about that first line...and then Mendelssohn repeats it again in the end. It's so moving, and I just felt posting it here to see if anyone else would agree
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 7:19:27 PM
I had it when great songs/compositions are so short.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:05:43 PM
Will give it a listen and tell you what I think of it. Mendelssohn is one of my favorites, up there with Wagner and Tchaikovsky.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:14:50 PM
At 12/4/2012 7:19:27 PM, phantom wrote:
I hate it when great songs/compositions are so short.

Fixed
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:18:50 PM
I agree, it is a beautiful piece. I wouldn't want it to drag on too long, but I also agree with Phantom's implication: it's a bit too short.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:20:37 PM
The piano has always been my favorite instrument. Nothing else seems to express certain emotions as powerfully. I hope to one day learn how to play it.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:46:15 PM
At 12/4/2012 8:20:37 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
The piano has always been my favorite instrument. Nothing else seems to express certain emotions as powerfully. I hope to one day learn how to play it.

I think piano and violin are tied for the range and depth of emotional expression. i can play the piano not the violin. But the thing with piano is, it's way more physically comfortable to play and less absurdly technically challenging than violin. So it's much easier to sit down in front of your piano/keyboard (I have a keyboard) and just play your heart out. The fact that you're sitting down and the semi-natural way one moves their fingers over keys (not totally unlike typing at a computer) makes it easy to get comfortable with. And you can go for pretty much any style of music with a piano/keyboard if you know how to do it well enough without it being weird. It's definitely my favorite instrument in terms of listening. I enjoy playing drums more though.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:58:30 PM
At 12/4/2012 8:46:15 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 12/4/2012 8:20:37 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I think piano and violin are tied for the range and depth of emotional expression. i can play the piano not the violin. But the thing with piano is, it's way more physically comfortable to play and less absurdly technically challenging than violin. So it's much easier to sit down in front of your piano/keyboard (I have a keyboard) and just play your heart out. The fact that you're sitting down and the semi-natural way one moves their fingers over keys (not totally unlike typing at a computer) makes it easy to get comfortable with. And you can go for pretty much any style of music with a piano/keyboard if you know how to do it well enough without it being weird. It's definitely my favorite instrument in terms of listening. I enjoy playing drums more though.

Pianos, especially grand pianos, have this captivating "bell-ish" tone about them, and since they're own accompaniment, with the left hand keys and all, anything played on piano has a richness only surpassed by a full-blown orchestra. Violins on the other hand, have a very earthy, human tone about them, but are too bare if unaccompanied. So, I'd give it to piano for favorite
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 11:51:35 PM
This is a heavy medal song. It's called Complex Terms. To the classical fan, it is the embodiment of what's wrong with music. It's just a bunch of yelling and it lacks the sophistication that a brilliant mind would surely only write classical music with.

But that is very misguided, as the same person could clearly see when you convert the same song into piano.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord