Jump to topic:

Do you like Schubert?

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 4:33:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't know your opinion but I like it very mush. His chamber music and piano is so lovely, I feel like I want to share.

Honestly, it take me almost decade to comprehend his musical massage (I have never been classically trained) but it is so rewarding! I am delight to know that such wonderful music did exist.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 4:45:02 AM
At 3/10/2013 4:33:52 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
I don't know your opinion but I like it very mush. His chamber music and piano is so lovely, I feel like I want to share.

Honestly, it take me almost decade to comprehend his musical massage (I have never been classically trained) but it is so rewarding! I am delight to know that such wonderful music did exist.

I'm not as familiar with his work as I am with others, but I particularly love this piece.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:04:22 AM
At 3/10/2013 4:45:02 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I'm not as familiar with his work as I am with others, but I particularly love this piece.

sure is lovely (and well know), I actually thought that his chamber and piano work (such as one you're showing) is better off than his symphonic work.

I don't know, I think the melody become more solid when it is played with fewer instrument (the orchestra make his complex note even more confusing), you think so?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:36:43 AM
At 3/10/2013 7:04:22 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

sure is lovely (and well know), I actually thought that his chamber and piano work (such as one you're showing) is better off than his symphonic work.

I don't know, I think the melody become more solid when it is played with fewer instrument (the orchestra make his complex note even more confusing), you think so?

Now that you mention it, I do like Schubert's work best when it isn't complicated; I especially like some of his simpler waltzes. Some people can do big brilliantly, while others shine when they compose for smaller ensembles. Some (Rachmaninoff, for example) are brilliant at both.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 9:48:17 AM
At 3/10/2013 7:36:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/10/2013 7:04:22 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Now that you mention it, I do like Schubert's work best when it isn't complicated; I especially like some of his simpler waltzes. Some people can do big brilliantly, while others shine when they compose for smaller ensembles. Some (Rachmaninoff, for example) are brilliant at both.

So true, I really enjoy big orchestral piece of composer like Beethoven or Berlioz (with volume turn on). But Rachmaninoff (or even Tchaikovsky), is.. ...now I am lost at word. Let say it is like listen to a speech from a mute, they seem to have some massage to deliver but for some reason they not stated it out.

Speaking of which, you may like to try this one out, it is piano transcription of Beethoven symphony no.9 from Franz Liszt. I thought it is the best piano interpretation of Beethoven work ever. It is detailed and refined just like the whole symphony being put in to the piano chord.

if you like the rest of the piece is on the link in that video.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:16:11 AM
I've never played piano, but that must be incredibly difficult. It always amazes me that there are people in this world who can pull that off.

Rachmaninoff, I find, tends to mix messages in his work. This is one of my favorites, and it's a prime example. It's so beautiful in a bittersweet way:
- Hilaire Belloc -
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 11:25:47 AM
Judging from your preference, I guess when it come to classical music, you would prefer a baroque style over the rest do you?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:52:14 PM
At 3/10/2013 11:25:47 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Judging from your preference, I guess when it come to classical music, you would prefer a baroque style over the rest do you?

Actually, I'm a die-hard Romantic fan, especially Russian Romantic.
- Hilaire Belloc -
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:22:38 AM
It just that you seem to like music that is less complicated and have a colorful melody so I thought you will like something like Vivaldi, Lully, or Bocherini.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:46:07 PM
At 3/12/2013 3:22:38 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
It just that you seem to like music that is less complicated and have a colorful melody so I thought you will like something like Vivaldi, Lully, or Bocherini.

I do LOVE Vivaldi. I like pieces from all eras, really. It's just that my absolute favorites are Rachmaninoff, Dvorak, Respighi, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Debussy, Wagner, Vaughn Williams and Grieg.

My favorite Vivaldi pieces are from, cliche as it is, the Four Seasons:
- Hilaire Belloc -
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:50:58 PM
if you like schubert, you might like this
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lizard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:58:29 PM
I havent heard much Schubert, but I'll check em out since you guys seem to love him so much.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 11:57:29 AM
At 3/12/2013 3:58:29 PM, Lizard wrote:
I havent heard much Schubert, but I'll check em out since you guys seem to love him so much.

If you are new to his style of work, I recommend that you start with Skepsikyma's example or something. It has every charming elements you can expect from his work and not so difficult to listen.

Schubert typical work (such as one I posted) is very complex, extremely long (some music take almost an hour), and have so many melodies that could make you feel crazy for a long while (years in my case).

But if you have time, playing his music while reading something or doing some simple work (something that take time), and it can be very lovely.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 5:03:50 PM
At 3/12/2013 3:50:58 PM, 000ike wrote:

GoldieG89 is definitely my favorite Youtube subscription of all time. Without him I probably never would have discovered Kurt Atterberg.
- Hilaire Belloc -
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 5:18:59 AM
never listen to this piece before (I am not usually touch anything that went passed 19th century)

It quite nice though.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 11:05:44 AM
At 3/12/2013 3:50:58 PM, 000ike wrote:

sure did, in fact, I watched this exact video several times, love how they paired the music with that paint.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 5:19:39 PM
Are you very familiar with Dvorak, Debussy, and Delius?
- Hilaire Belloc -
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 1:15:43 AM
Dvorak and Debussy, never heard of the other guy, is he a British?

Dvorak sure is lovely, I like his pastoral style of his musical work. I also appreciate a few piece of Debussy, though generally I don't like impressionism that mush.

In general I usually favour a music from classical or baroque period, I don't like excessive expression of emotion and the music in this period suite my style well, I also like the act that it is simple and beautiful (not the baroque of course).

I also appreciate music from all era, just the one I like is often concentrated on this two.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 9:28:21 AM
Humorosque would be always be my favourite for Dvorak. Symphony no.9 is a must, but I would prefer the less well know no.4, the flute is simply beautiful.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 4:01:09 PM
At 3/15/2013 9:28:21 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Humorosque would be always be my favourite for Dvorak. Symphony no.9 is a must, but I would prefer the less well know no.4, the flute is simply beautiful.

Delius was British. And symphony no. 9 is amazing, as is no. 4. Just out of curiosity, are you a fan of Mozart's Requiem or Dvorak's New World Symphony?
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 4:02:49 PM
And saying that you loved simple music instantly made me think of Yann Tiersen:
- Hilaire Belloc -
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 3:18:29 AM
Nah, not simple in this sense, though I appreciate the piece, it's lovely.

Simplicity that I talk about is more like limited expression of emotion, and focus mostly on the beauty of music itself. It is hard to describe in word but try to think of something like David Statue, he doesn't dress with anything, yet the beauty of the piece is expressed through simple magnificent of human body.

Music in this category will be something like Mozart, Haydn, Boieldieu or something along the line. It is an evolution from the extravagant baroque music, the classical era is harmonious, refined and show nothing but the beauty of music. It's remind me of a pure white marble with a very silky, cold surface, beautiful and nothing more.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:30:00 AM
Baroque is also lovely, you know if you like Vivaldi and something Romantic you should watch the movie "Le Roi Dance", it's french but I am sure you will love it. It is baroque-related but very passionate plot.