Jump to topic:

Singing v. playing

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 6:09:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't like any kind of singing. I've never found a song that sounded better sung than played. So I'm just curious what other people think. So, taking Amazing grace for example, the first video is sung and the second is played by an orchestra (I picked Startrek, because its the best version I could find, skip to 1:30 ). Which do you prefer?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 7:16:35 PM
Polar opposite, mate (how surprising, I know). I almost always prefer singing. I love a capella signing too.

For instance, this song. No music at all. Only voice. Yet this conjures so much emotion for me.

PS: You could probably already guess my answer if you pay any attention to my quotes of the day, which are usually all song lyrics.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 8:03:00 PM
I'm pretty mixed on this issue, though for amazing grace, definitely the instrumental version, especially in comparison to the first vid (I hate the way she sings). I spend allot of time listening to both instrumental and non-instrumental. I love progressive rock and other forms of rock, but also soundtrack music and classical. My favorite band, Pink Floyd, have both amazing vocals and instrumentals. My favorite song of theirs is a 21 minute piece with long instrumental sections but also some of my favorite vocals. One of my favorite albums, Disintegration, by The Cure, almost ended up being an instrumental album since all the lyrics were almost lost in a fire. I think it's definitely better not as an instrumental, because it has great lyrics and vocals, but some of my favorites albums are still instrumental. I guess it really depends for me. My favorite songs/compositions are a large mix between the two. I appreciate both fairly equally.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)