Jump to topic:

Music that makes no sense

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:52:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I really wish someone could explain to me why this has 33 likes and 0 dislikes. I'd dislike this a million times over if I could.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:53:11 PM
these are the words to that music.

You should know you should know that ahhh
Kris Kross is not having anything today
As we stand there totally krossed out
We commence to make you

Jump Jump
The Mac Dad will make you Jump Jump
The Daddy Mac will make you Jump Jump
Kris Kross will make you Jump Jump

Don't try to compare us to another bad little fad
I'm the Mac and I'm bad give you something that you never had
I'll make ya Jump Jump wiggle and shake your rump
Cause I'll be kicking the flavor that makes you wanna Jump
How high? Real high
Cause I'm just so fly
A young loveable, hugable type of guy
And everything is the back with a little slack
And inside-out is wiggida wiggida wack
I come stompin' with somethi' to keep you jumpin
R&B abd bullcrap is what I'm dumpin'
And ain't something about Kris Kross we all that
So when they ask to the rocks they believe that

Jump Jump
uh huh uh huh
Jump Jump

I let myself knockin' knockin'
I love it when a girl is play jockin' jockin'
The D-A-double D-Y-M-A-C
Ya you know me
I got you jumpin' an' pumpin' an' movin' all around G
In the mix I make ya take a step back
They try to step to the Mac then they got jacked
To the back you'll be sportin' the gear that's coincidental
And like you knowit so don't be claiming that it's mental

Two lil' kids with a flow you ain't ever heard
And none faking you can understyand every word
As you listen to my cool school melody
The Daddy makes you J-U-M-P

Jump Jump
uh huh uh huh
Jump Jump

Now, the formalities of this and that
Is that Kris Kross ain't comin' off wack
And for all ya'll sucks that don't know
Check it out

Some of them try to rhyme but they can't rhyme like this Go Go
Some of them try to rhyme but they can't Go Go
Cause I'm the miggida miggida miggida Mac Daddy
Miggida miggida miggida Mac
Cause I'm the miggida miggida miggida Mac Daddy

I make you wanna
Jump Jump
uh huh uh huh (repeat 3 more times)
Believe dat
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:57:50 PM
At 5/6/2013 8:52:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
I really wish someone could explain to me why this has 33 likes and 0 dislikes. I'd dislike this a million times over if I could.

I agree totally. I am in love with classical music, but this is just terrible. To make matters worse, the full piece has 20 movements!
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:07:16 PM
What a huge waste.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:15:51 PM
Blech. 20 movements? So much wasted paper.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 3:57:21 AM
What I don't get is why people feel a need to criticize other people's music. Go listen to different music if you don't like it.

I'm actually used to listening to experimental music, so I can enjoy this. But that has nothing to do with it.

I don't understand heavy metal or screamo. But I have a lot of friends who enjoy it and enjoy that they enjoy it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 3:58:03 AM
At 5/7/2013 3:57:21 AM, FREEDO wrote:
What I don't get is why people feel a need to criticize other people's music. Go listen to different music if you don't like it.

I'm actually used to listening to experimental music, so I can enjoy this. But that has nothing to do with it.

I don't understand heavy metal or screamo. But I have a lot of friends who enjoy it and I enjoy that they enjoy it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 5:11:46 AM
To me, this guy's stuff comes off as something you'd give to students for them to work on playing odd and complicated rhythms rather than a piece that's actually meant to be played for an audience.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 7:25:52 AM
It was originally set to be the soundtrack for an early "horror play." But one day, while rehearsing, a frustrated producer closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and exhaled like this:

Ch...ch...ch...ch...ch...ch...ch...ch....

Ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...

...which turned out to be cheaper and more effective, anyway.

True story.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 2:55:37 PM
I agree, This is so much more intricate.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 2:57:47 PM
At 8/3/2013 2:55:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm don't follow,...they both sound like crap. Are you saying you like that insult to pianos everywhere in the OP?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 3:07:22 PM
At 8/3/2013 2:57:47 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 2:55:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm don't follow,...they both sound like crap. Are you saying you like that insult to pianos everywhere in the OP?

Ike, it's a joke. Lighten up, buddy.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:35:10 PM
I guess I don't get it. The thread, that is. Do you actually have the audacity to suggest that the piano music in the first post is garbage? You may not like it, particularly, but surely you agree that what you like in music is no measure of whether or not it is beautiful and artistic.

I'm sure I will sound elitist, but I am a trained musician who believes music like this is amazing. Do I prefer to listen to Bach's Air on a G string? Sure, but that's just my personal preference. When I'm watching a scary movie, on the other hand, music like that in your link is just the ticket. In fact, I submit that most folks who think this kind of music (atonal, impressionist, dissonant, etc.) is garbage not only listen to it all the time when they're watching movies, but also their experience of the movie often is enhanced because of it. And most of them don't even realize this is what is happening. Your "criticism" of the "nonsense" music in your post sounds a lot like my 3rd grade piano students who believe a 7th harmony "doesn't sound right". Please!

I believe I would refrain from dissing music because I think it's garbage or because I don't prefer to listen to it...for fear someone might expose my blatant ignorance of what constitutes art and music.

Debate, anyone?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:50:33 PM
At 8/3/2013 4:35:10 PM, thg wrote:
I guess I don't get it. The thread, that is. Do you actually have the audacity to suggest that the piano music in the first post is garbage? You may not like it, particularly, but surely you agree that what you like in music is no measure of whether or not it is beautiful and artistic.

I'm sure I will sound elitist, but I am a trained musician who believes music like this is amazing. Do I prefer to listen to Bach's Air on a G string? Sure, but that's just my personal preference. When I'm watching a scary movie, on the other hand, music like that in your link is just the ticket. In fact, I submit that most folks who think this kind of music (atonal, impressionist, dissonant, etc.) is garbage not only listen to it all the time when they're watching movies, but also their experience of the movie often is enhanced because of it. And most of them don't even realize this is what is happening. Your "criticism" of the "nonsense" music in your post sounds a lot like my 3rd grade piano students who believe a 7th harmony "doesn't sound right". Please!

I believe I would refrain from dissing music because I think it's garbage or because I don't prefer to listen to it...for fear someone might expose my blatant ignorance of what constitutes art and music.

Debate, anyone?

wow..., that's really obnoxious. I understand that there is an actual study behind atonal music; I assumed that it was understood that when I called this music crap, I was speaking from a point of preference. You can uphold the academic legitimacy of this form of music and defend that, but how in the world can a dislike be a form of ignorance? Ignorance of what? I'm sorry that my statement is so strongly worded that it offends you, but that's the nature of art - it's interpretative and spurs the judgment of any person that observes it - it's my right to say I think this music is crap.
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:23:25 PM
At 8/3/2013 4:50:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 4:35:10 PM, thg wrote:

Debate, anyone?

wow..., that's really obnoxious. I understand that there is an actual study behind atonal music; I assumed that it was understood that when I called this music crap, I was speaking from a point of preference. You can uphold the academic legitimacy of this form of music and defend that, but how in the world can a dislike be a form of ignorance? Ignorance of what? I'm sorry that my statement is so strongly worded that it offends you, but that's the nature of art - it's interpretative and spurs the judgment of any person that observes it - it's my right to say I think this music is crap.

Hmm. I don't recall ever saying that I was offended. Were you, on the other hand, offended by my comments? Sounds like it, as you appear to be reacting angrily. I thought I was engaging in valid debate and discussion (we are, after all, on DDO).

What, exactly, was so obnoxious about my post? That I compared your view of music to a 3rd grader's? OK, maybe that's a bit provocative, but you, also, said more than that you just "prefer" one type of music over another. You claimed the music makes "no sense". That sounds like an attempt at objective critique, not mere stating of a personal preference. I, too, stated I have various musical preferences. That is not at issue. But your post made it sound like this music (and all those who believe it to be legit) are clueless.

So, let's dispense with the mutual barbs and discuss the music itself. I'm happy to debate you formally as well, if you like.
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:27:34 PM
I assumed that it was understood that when I called this music crap, I was speaking from a point of preference.

It might make you sound a bit more informed if you used other adjectives than "crap"...that's MY preference.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:28:53 PM
At 8/3/2013 5:23:25 PM, thg wrote:

Hmm. I don't recall ever saying that I was offended. Were you, on the other hand, offended by my comments? Sounds like it, as you appear to be reacting angrily. I thought I was engaging in valid debate and discussion (we are, after all, on DDO).

What, exactly, was so obnoxious about my post? That I compared your view of music to a 3rd grader's? OK, maybe that's a bit provocative, but you, also, said more than that you just "prefer" one type of music over another. You claimed the music makes "no sense". That sounds like an attempt at objective critique, not mere stating of a personal preference. I, too, stated I have various musical preferences. That is not at issue. But your post made it sound like this music (and all those who believe it to be legit) are clueless.

So, let's dispense with the mutual barbs and discuss the music itself. I'm happy to debate you formally as well, if you like.

Well I've clarified to you that by "crap" and "makes no sense" I was expressing a subjective judgment not objective critique - so that should be the end of the issue. Debating this would be tantamount to debating "red is a crappy color".
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:32:38 PM
At 8/3/2013 5:28:53 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/3/2013 5:23:25 PM, thg wrote:

Well I've clarified to you that by "crap" and "makes no sense" I was expressing a subjective judgment not objective critique - so that should be the end of the issue. Debating this would be tantamount to debating "red is a crappy color".

Hmm. This begs the question, then...just why did you post such a provocative thread on DDO? Are you copping out? Let's debate. I believe what constitutes legit art is always a fascinating topic for debate. I'm not being facetious. I'm serious. If you don't think it's worth discussing, fine (though I still wonder why you posted here). But I happen to think this topic is intriguing.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:32:41 PM
At 8/3/2013 5:27:34 PM, thg wrote:
I assumed that it was understood that when I called this music crap, I was speaking from a point of preference.

It might make you sound a bit more informed if you used other adjectives than "crap"...that's MY preference.

um, I think I'm at liberty to use whatever adjective I think sufficiently expresses my distaste. "Informed" vocabulary would be relevant in an objective assessment - which this thread isn't, as I've hopefully made abundantly clear.
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:38:34 PM
At 8/3/2013 5:32:41 PM, 000ike wrote:

um, I think I'm at liberty to use whatever adjective I think sufficiently expresses my distaste. "Informed" vocabulary would be relevant in an objective assessment - which this thread isn't, as I've hopefully made abundantly clear.

Once again, you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say you weren't at liberty to use whatever adjective you prefer. I simply stated my preference...including the opinion that I believe using such a term to diss great art is unlikely to get you to be taken seriously (whether we're talking about preference, opinion, or whatever).

As for your contention that debates should only consist of "objective assessments" as opposed to "preferences" being subjective and not worthy of serious debate...all I can say is, that's debatable.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:43:58 PM
At 8/3/2013 5:38:34 PM, thg wrote:
At 8/3/2013 5:32:41 PM, 000ike wrote:

Once again, you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say you weren't at liberty to use whatever adjective you prefer. I simply stated my preference...including the opinion that I believe using such a term to diss great art is unlikely to get you to be taken seriously (whether we're talking about preference, opinion, or whatever).

As for your contention that debates should only consist of "objective assessments" as opposed to "preferences" being subjective and not worthy of serious debate...all I can say is, that's debatable.

No, it really isn't. Debates appeal to an objective metric - either the factual merit of the information provided or the truth of the propositions forwarded. Something like "red is better than blue" is an entirely subjective issue in which neither debater can point to anything non-subjective for support - this is essentially what you're asking me to debate.

If I don't like atonal music, I don't like atonal music. What's there to debate?
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:44:07 PM
to 000ike: Hey man, I've read some of your other comments. You have a great mind and sound thoughts. Frankly, it kind of surprises me that you so easily dissed that piano piece. I think we'd make good debating opponents (if we could find something we disagree about). Why not?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:45:50 PM
At 8/3/2013 5:32:38 PM, thg wrote:

Hmm. This begs the question, then...just why did you post such a provocative thread on DDO? Are you copping out? Let's debate. I believe what constitutes legit art is always a fascinating topic for debate. I'm not being facetious. I'm serious. If you don't think it's worth discussing, fine (though I still wonder why you posted here). But I happen to think this topic is intriguing.

You're right, that is a worthy debate topic .... except that I'm not arguing that atonal music is an illegitimate art form. I'm simply stating that I don't like it! lol
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:50:11 PM
I have less problem with you not liking atonal music. My contention is with your assessment that it "makes no sense". Perhaps to you it doesn't, but to others it does. If you want to express a personal preference, you say, "I don't like it." not..."it makes no sense." Still, I'd say even subjective statements like "I don't like it" are worthy topics for discussion and debate. For example, I can ask, "WHY don't you like it...?" and we can proceed from that point. The response, "Because I just don't"... is myopic and usually unacceptable. But I'm preaching to the choir. Surely you know this already.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:17:51 PM
Ike, you call someone obnoxious and then try to assert that you can factually declare music to be crap.

C'mon man.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord