Jump to topic:

Andy Warhol

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 10:28:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been to the Andy Warhol museum a few times. It's awesome, especially the parachute-couches, floating sliver balloon room, and Elvis 11 Times print. However, the 7th (and part of the 6th) floor are home to seasonal changes and featured artists. The theme this time, which coincides with the Gay Pride Festival in Pittsburgh, was "S/HE IS HER/E." Basically it was a bunch of transgender, hermaphrodite, straight, gay, gender identity art pieces that were quite disturbing. I went with my gf, and we saw soooo many boobs, penises, vaginas, even a Transgender Jesus (pic available upon request).

A few other art museums I've been to: The National Gallery (London), The Louvre (Paris), The Museum of Modern Art (New York), The Carnegie Museum of Art (Pittsburgh), and some lesser-known places in Florida and California.

1. What art museum did you enjoy the most?
2. Do you ever reach a point at which you are "arted out?"
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 11:08:55 AM
At 6/17/2013 10:28:12 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I've been to the Andy Warhol museum a few times. It's awesome, especially the parachute-couches, floating sliver balloon room, and Elvis 11 Times print. However, the 7th (and part of the 6th) floor are home to seasonal changes and featured artists. The theme this time, which coincides with the Gay Pride Festival in Pittsburgh, was "S/HE IS HER/E." Basically it was a bunch of transgender, hermaphrodite, straight, gay, gender identity art pieces that were quite disturbing. I went with my gf, and we saw soooo many boobs, penises, vaginas, even a Transgender Jesus (pic available upon request).

A few other art museums I've been to: The National Gallery (London), The Louvre (Paris), The Museum of Modern Art (New York), The Carnegie Museum of Art (Pittsburgh), and some lesser-known places in Florida and California.

(1) The International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C. The Museum at Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin is a close second.
(2) Easily, which is why I'm not especially fond of art museums.
Tsar of DDO
Rhett_Butler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 11:26:30 AM
My heart sides with the National Firearms Museum. I've always liked both the history and craftsmanship presented there; the age of the gun. Some of the weapons on display date back centuries, and in the times that our civilization hand-crafted things without the absolute intent of mass-production, some of the things they put together are the greatest examples of deadly beauty that one could imagine.

Well, when it gets to a "Transgender Jesus," I'd consider myself "arted out." Additionally, there are things that I wouldn't even consider art which people blow grotesque sums of money on. Ever hear the story of a little girl who splashed lines all over a paper, then her mother lied, saying a famous artist painted it, and sold it for a few million dollars? Well, when that can happen, it isn't art...
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 9:51:40 PM
I'm not big into art museums, but in high school we took a field trip to the Grand Rapids Public Museum here in Michigan. It used to be an old furniture factory, so quite a bit of it was devoted to wood furniture made in the factory, which was always pretty boring.

HOWEVER, our high school administrator's trade before he got into teaching was wood working, and being older, he was familiar with all the techniques used to make the old furniture, and was able to explain what we were seeing so well that he had a good size group of students willingly following him around the exhibits for hours.

His explanations and experience allowed us to see the art in what we didn't previously appreciate.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:27:17 PM
Watching Men in Black 3 for the tenth time, and the scene where Andy Warhol actually came out as an agent just happened, lol.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 11:39:31 PM
Even though I've been around the US a bit, I haven't really visited many art museums.

However, my favorite art museum I've been to is right here at home: the Milwaukee Art Museum.

I mean, the museum itself IS a work of art: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com....

As to number 2, not really. Honestly, the more "out there" the art I've seen gets, the more enthused I seem to get. Of course, there are limits, but generally speaking.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:52:06 AM

What did you think of MOMA, WSA?
Tsar of DDO
RedneckR0nin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 5:03:56 AM

Mueseum of Modern Art is my favorite in New York

Nah not really I am artist in many forms of..

I would however be arted out if I had to go see Andy Warhol exhibits....he was a clown as far as I am concerned...never liked his work and never was a really big fan of him as a person either