Jump to topic:

Russian Literature

japakhova
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 4:49:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am a Russian-speaking person, English isn't my mother tongue, but of course we study European writers as well, some of them are either for compulsory reading or highly recommended in our school curriculum, e.g. Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare, Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Stivenson and others. So, I am just curious if any of Russian, Soviet writers, poets are studied at your schools, or maybe you read them due to personal enthusiasm, interest. And if you do, then whom do you like most? and do you read them in the original or in translated/adapted versions?
Angelos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 3:46:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/8/2014 4:49:10 AM, japakhova wrote:
I am a Russian-speaking person, English isn't my mother tongue, but of course we study European writers as well, some of them are either for compulsory reading or highly recommended in our school curriculum, e.g. Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare, Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Stivenson and others. So, I am just curious if any of Russian, Soviet writers, poets are studied at your schools, or maybe you read them due to personal enthusiasm, interest. And if you do, then whom do you like most? and do you read them in the original or in translated/adapted versions?

I read a lot of stories written by Anton Chekhov, one of Russia's many great writers, just for personal enthusiasm and interests. His stories are very short and they're good for teaching beginners how to write short stories, too.