Jump to topic:

Is rap art?

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:11:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, is it a poetry put to a clever beat? Or is it vulgarity put to a computer malfunctioning? Debate!
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:23:19 AM
Somebody answer!
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 4:39:16 PM
At 1/29/2014 3:08:45 PM, Soulja_n wrote:
At 1/29/2014 8:23:19 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Somebody answer!

Um, yes, rap is art...

Prove it. You can't just say sh*t and not back it up with evidence.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9

Soulja_n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 4:47:27 PM
At 1/29/2014 4:39:16 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Somebody answer!

Um, yes, rap is art...

I can if I want to, plus you never said back it up, you just said "Somebody answer!" Thank you very much!!!

But answer me this: How is sitting down and taking your time to draw a picture and add color, or whatever (which is art), any different from sitting down and taking your time to write down some good words and add a nice beat???
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 10:53:25 AM
At 1/29/2014 4:47:27 PM, Soulja_n wrote:
At 1/29/2014 4:39:16 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Somebody answer!

Um, yes, rap is art...

I can if I want to, plus you never said back it up, you just said "Somebody answer!" Thank you very much!!!

But answer me this: How is sitting down and taking your time to draw a picture and add color, or whatever (which is art), any different from sitting down and taking your time to write down some good words and add a nice beat???

What isn't different about those things?
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9

Rok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 7:33:21 AM
What is art? Expression, creativity, imagination, innovation, etc. Some rap music may be crud and honestly lacks much creativity, but it is still art.

But it is simple to answer, rap is music, music is art, therefore rap is art.
oculus_de_logica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 12:35:25 PM
Well, Let's define 'art'

"noun
the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
"

So, as soon as we have something expressing their own emotion or imagination we can call it art by definition. And if you consider Lust, Gluttony or desire (to party all night long as ) then you can consider the expression of those feelings as art, meaning that most of today's 'club and party rap' to be art forms. It can be bad art (which again is personal, bound to the individual) but it is still rap.

Then again we have certain rappers like Eminem or TuPac that pour extreme amounts of emotions into their lyrics and turn the English language into a giant canvas to paint an artwork on. Eminem is particularly skilled at this as he not only creates meaningful, expressive and emotional lyrics but utilizes complex and elegant rhyming patterns along with manipulating the sound of words to give them new meanings or force them to seamlessly fit into the rhyme without actually distorting them to the point that we notice the change.

It's personal in my opinion, but by definition rap is a form of art.
<( o_o )>
Antiphone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 5:39:56 PM
At 1/28/2014 11:11:03 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Well, is it a poetry put to a clever beat? Or is it vulgarity put to a computer malfunctioning? Debate!

It is not to my taste, and I avoid it., but yes it is art, and sometimes it is quite clever. It is not "High Art", but it is human creative expression.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 12:29:10 AM
I'd say rap is art, but it isn't music. It's a form of poetry more than anything else.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:58:41 PM
At 3/12/2014 12:29:10 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I'd say rap is art, but it isn't music. It's a form of poetry more than anything else.

music: an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
rap: to perform a rhythmic monologue with a musical backing

rap is music, FACE MOTHAF*CKA
30 Important Life Lessons
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 8:44:23 PM
At 3/17/2014 7:58:41 PM, yay842 wrote:

music: an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

What is the primary difference, then, between music and forms of literary expression? The difference is whether the idea is expressed in the lyrics or in the actually sound of the piece. The key test is this: take away the words, and see if you can still tell what the theme of the piece is. Do this to classical, opera, blues, jazz, or even some rock pieces and you can still get a feel for the author's intent. This is because the central idea is expressed structurally, in the instrumental section of the music and is merely reinforced by the lyrics. Take away the words in a rap and the beat itself expresses little to nothing; it's simply a framework for the words, which can be quite poetic, brutal, and expressive. That's a good thing. Good rap is so effective precisely because it is stripped down and minimalistic; it's poetry with a punch. But the theme resides in the poetry, not the rhythm or beat.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 8:51:19 PM
At 3/17/2014 8:44:23 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

What is the primary difference, then, between music and forms of literary expression? The difference is whether the idea is expressed in the lyrics or in the actually sound of the piece. The key test is this: take away the words, and see if you can still tell what the theme of the piece is. Do this to classical, opera, blues, jazz, or even some rock pieces and you can still get a feel for the author's intent. This is because the central idea is expressed structurally, in the instrumental section of the music and is merely reinforced by the lyrics. Take away the words in a rap and the beat itself expresses little to nothing; it's simply a framework for the words, which can be quite poetic, brutal, and expressive. That's a good thing. Good rap is so effective precisely because it is stripped down and minimalistic; it's poetry with a punch. But the theme resides in the poetry, not the rhythm or beat.

the paragraph has reached my reading quota limit; therefore, rap is art GG MOFA
30 Important Life Lessons
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
kiryasjoelvillage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 12:53:11 AM
Somebody answer!
Rap is definitely a art.Not everybody can sing in the tone in which it is done but yes the lyrics should be a little clean.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:17:25 AM
no, rap is crap, yo
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
oculus_de_logica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 12:02:00 PM

I'd actually disagree with that; A lot of emotion can be enforced by and with the beat.
Try for instance to listen to the instrumental to "Mockingbird" by Eminem or "Dear Mama" by 2Pac. Both give you a general feeling on the emotion that would be expressed by the lyrics. Take away the lyrics to a majority of Pop songs, or f.x "Rainmaker" by Iron Maiden when going to the rock side of music. You'll find that precisely telling the intent of the song is next to impossible without the lyrics.

Music is a rhythmic expression emphasizing auditory harmonics. The beat on its own is music. A minimalist beat may perhaps not be a great musical piece, but it is still music. Given the lyrics laid on top and you have a rhythmic expression of emotions that is art and music. A good rap artist uses the lyrics to add to the musical harmony; Just as any lyricist does.
<( o_o )>
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 6:24:24 PM
It is far too easy to create any ball of crap and call it art by the very broad definition of what is or is not art. No one can refute that many things could *technically* be called art. A far more useful question would be whether a particular rap song is very good art or whether or not it requires very much skill.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 11:48:18 PM
At 4/15/2014 12:02:00 PM, oculus_de_logica wrote:

I'd actually disagree with that; A lot of emotion can be enforced by and with the beat.

Try for instance to listen to the instrumental to "Mockingbird" by Eminem or "Dear Mama" by 2Pac. Both give you a general feeling on the emotion that would be expressed by the lyrics. Take away the lyrics to a majority of Pop songs, or f.x "Rainmaker" by Iron Maiden when going to the rock side of music. You'll find that precisely telling the intent of the song is next to impossible without the lyrics.

Yes, but art deals with an abstract theme, not just emotion. The beat may communicate one emotion, a generalized backdrop which the lyrics build on. But when you listen, for example, to Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet Overture, you will hear a multitude of themes woven together with one another to depict the abstract idea of the story itself. From the building conflict in the beginning (the feud between the families), emerge the two low melodies and love duet around 8:00, which blossom out of the conflict and overwhelm it, slowly building. Then around 11:00 the bitter reality of the conflict attempts to overwhelm the love theme, and it struggles against it poignantly. Then the conflict reasserts itself around 13:30, reducing the love theme just a small whimper, until it is revived, crushed and broken, but still beautiful. It blossoms again, at 14:25, in one of the best-loved moments in musical history (anyone will probably recognize it), positively crushing the discord beneath its strength. (Romeo and Juliet's resurgent hope at their plan to run away together). More drastic struggle as the plan is put into motion, then 17:15 is just pure sorrow and misery, followed by a low funeral beat, and the love theme, darkened with mourning. (The grief over Juliet's supposed death, and then Romeo's). Then the drumroll, trumpets, and the final dour end. So much is communicated by the sound, without a word spoken. While you get nothing of the actual story, the theme, that of the senseless brutalization of something precious and beautiful by a cruel world, is presented with utmost clarity. This is an extreme example, but it's meant to show just how much beyond simple emotion can be communicated by music, and how much of that can be done through a purely auditory medium. If I listen to the Tupac track without the lyrics, I get no sense of his overall theme. Just a mellow, somewhat sad feeling and nostalgic feeling.

Music is a rhythmic expression emphasizing auditory harmonics. The beat on its own is music. A minimalist beat may perhaps not be a great musical piece, but it is still music. Given the lyrics laid on top and you have a rhythmic expression of emotions that is art and music. A good rap artist uses the lyrics to add to the musical harmony; Just as any lyricist does.

I would agree that the beat on its own could be considered a minimalist piece of music. But I still think that, when you take the rap as a whole, the lyrical content is far more rich as far as thematic communication goes, and that the poetic expression is far more prominent than the musical one. This isn't just true of rap, but of many other forms of music as well (Any song where someone sings in a speaking voice over stripped-down musical accompaniment qualifies, in my opinion).
- Hilaire Belloc -
WiseWordsWaysNActions
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 10:36:02 PM
Rap is one artform of expression from the culture known as HIP HOP.....
Hip is the CONSCIOUSNESS, HOP is the way in which we communicate the message.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 12:01:53 AM
At 5/29/2014 10:36:02 PM, WiseWordsWaysNActions wrote:

Congratulations. You told me something I already knew. I was wanting you to explain why it's an art, not tell me what Hip Hop is.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9

WiseWordsWaysNActions
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 9:30:42 PM
At 5/30/2014 12:01:53 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Congratulations. You told me something I already knew. I was wanting you to explain why it's an art, not tell me what Hip Hop is.
Well...anything that has to do with creative channeling of feelings and emotions is considered artistic expression....whether the media is through sight, sound, dance, or wordplay. Me myself, I'm a talented sketch artist, but as of late I've been into producing music, actually for like the last 25 years off and on. I use to feel like I abandoned my true ability until I realized I'm still an artist practicing art even in rap.
WiseWordsWaysNActions
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 9:31:43 PM
At 5/30/2014 9:30:42 PM, WiseWordsWaysNActions wrote:

Well...anything that has to do with creative channeling of feelings and emotions is considered artistic expression....whether the media is through sight, sound, dance, or wordplay. Me myself, I'm a talented sketch artist, but as of late I've been into producing music, actually for like the last 25 years off and on. I use to feel like I abandoned my true ability until I realized I'm still an artist practicing art even in rap.
God is in the buildin'.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 9:35:10 PM
At 5/30/2014 9:30:42 PM, WiseWordsWaysNActions wrote:

Thank you for an explanation.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9

klkl47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 7:37:04 AM

ART. It speaks to many people on a personal level. It just may not speak to those who typically determine what art is
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 1:42:21 PM
IDK. I think rap done well is artistic. If we consider poetry art, and if we consider music art, it seems hard to deny that the fusion of the two would somehow not be art.

Regardless, I do think the use of profanities in rap has become overdone. Profanity is meant to have a shocking effect--to shake the listener out of their PC sleep, and into wakefulness so that they can register a more important message. However, when the practice becomes ubiquitous, it loses its shock value, and, in fact, ANY value that may have been attached to it. The more common something is, the less significance we often attach to it.

Consider also that rap has become a forum for many themes in modern society that really should not be lauded, e.g. gangrape. These are not things we should encourage in society, yet the rap culture has seemed to embrace, more and more frequently, those types of violent, and destructive themes.

These points are, of course, not true of every rap artist or every rap song. Perhaps the latter critique is not true in the majority of cases even. Yet, I find that these are both trends that we see in the genre, and they're things the genre needs to sort out before it becomes and art form I personally embrace.

Honestly, I think rap is art, but that does not mean it's always high art. That seems to be the bottom line for me.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 1:43:03 PM
I think, perhaps, a more intriguing question is "is rap music." There is definitely room for debate there.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 3:39:18 PM
@bsh1

art1
"rt/
noun
noun: art; plural noun: arts; plural noun: the arts

the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
synonyms:fine art, artwork More
works produced by human creative skill and imagination.
synonyms:fine art, artwork More
creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture.
the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
subjects of study primarily concerned with the processes and products of human creativity and social life, such as languages, literature, and history (as contrasted with scientific or technical subjects).
a skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice.

mu"sic
G2;myoV2;ozik/
noun

vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
the art or science of composing or performing music.
noun: music
a sound perceived as pleasingly harmonious.
the written or printed signs representing vocal or instrumental sound.

As you can see, almost anything can be called art and almost any collection of sounds can be called music. There really is no debate on whether rap is art OR music. As I've said before, the question really is whether or not rap is "good" or "relevant" art. This may more or less be a matter of opinion, but at least it's debatable.

Also, rap is not any more a fusion of poetry and music than any other style of music that has lyrics. Almost all lyrics (whether sung or spoken) are written with poetic intentions. Therefor Soulja Boy's lyrics to "Pimp Slap Dat Hoe" is not somehow poetic in a way that Kansas' lyrics to "Dust in the Wind" is not.

Pimp Slap Dat Hoe:

[Speaking]
Man what happen man?
Man I don't know this gurl still talkin' crazy to me man actin actin like she run me or sumthin'
What dog man you know what you need to do man
What?
Slap dat hoe man, pimp slap her @ss man you get yo respect dog
Yo Feel Me Aight
Aight Aight
Do dat dog walk over there and pimp slap her
That's what I'm talking about

[Chorus]
Pimp slap dat hoe, WHOOPISH
Pimp Pimp Pimp slap dat hoe, WHOOPISH
Pimp slap dat hoe, WHOOPISH (Pimp slap dat hoe man x3)
Pimp Pimp Pimp slap dat hoe, WHOOPISH (Pimp slap her x6)

[Verse 1]
I'm something like a pimp from the dirty dirty south,
If you keep talkin crazy imma slap you in yo mouth,
This n*gga ain't playin bout my cheddar or my cake, if you dp something wrong then my hand gon meet yo face
My hand comin fast bout a hundred miles per hour,
Gettin hit in yo face while you bathin in the shower
I thought I told you trick better have my money off da rip, reach back like a pimp slap dat trick in da lip.

[Chorus]
Now pimp slap dat hoe, WHOOPISH

[Verse 2]
Askin me for some money to go shoppin at Chinese store, reach back like a pimp knock dat trick to da floor
If you aint heard i'm dat n*gga datz gon put you out yo misery
Pimp slappin is what I do, known in the city
Trick get back yappin yappin in my ear,
Like a man here come my hand now all the talkin disappear
Slap fist in my house, you talkin crazy so you gettin hit
Slap ya in da face. reach back I'ma a pimp trick.

[Chorus]

[Hook] (x2)
Pimp slap dat hoe man, show her what you know man,
Give her what she need man right side her face man
Pimp slap dat hoe man, pimp slap dat hoe man
Pimp slap dat hoe man, pimp slap dat hoe man

[Chorus]
Pimp slap dat hoe
Pimp slap dat hoe
Pimp slap dat hoe
Pimp slap dat hoe

WHOOPISH
WHOOPISH
WHOOPISH
WHOOPISH
WHOOPISH!

Dust in the Wind:

I close my eyes only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind

Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind (all we are is dust in the wind)
Dust in the wind (everything is dust in the wind), everything is dust in the wind (the wind)