Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

My recent writing experiences.

Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 10:21:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been writing a series of fantasy novels for the last 6 years, and have repeatedly had to change the characters, plot, themes, etc, because they didn't work. A week ago I realised that the basic premise of the first book was flawed, and I had to abandon the thing entirely.

So I was sitting in my room, feeling really depressed. Suicidal, actually. I reflected on all the sh*t I've done wrong in my life, all the times I've failed, all the girls I should/shouldn't have screwed, all the fights I should/shouldn't have picked, and all the crippling psychological problems that my therapist seems completely oblivious to.

And I started writing about it.

Most writing how-to's will tell you to draw up a detailed outline of your plot first. I didn't. Here are the steps I took:

1. Remember the screwed-up relationship I had last year (this is the main interpersonal conflict of the book).

2. Define the main characters and the nature their relationships (happy, dysfunctional, romantic, familial, etc.).

3. Do a Mary-Sue test to make sure the characters are realistic ( http://www.springhole.net... ).

4. Write about the screwed-up relationship, and stick as close to reality as possible. Say the sh*t I wish I'd said, exaggerate the sh*t that happened, and write in the direction that I want my life to take. If there's a tangent or backstory that needs exploring, take an event from school or life and blow it up into something big.

Results after 1 week:

9 chapters,
11,000 words,
1 screwed-up protagonist with all of my dark and toxic insecurities floating around in his head,
a story that is so fun to write that I consider sleeping an interruption,
and a plot that is believable.

Plans for 2 weeks (from start):

15 chapters,
20,000 words,
my protagonist starts to sort out my issues for me,
and I've stopped sleeping in because it cuts into my writing time.

Dunno if you guys find this interesting, but I felt like sharing.
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 6:16:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Are you really going to give up 6 years of progress because there's something wrong with your plot?

My advice: do not scrap your book. If you're typing it on the computer, DO NOT delete it. Go back to the beginning and make changes to make the plot presentable. Of course, this will require you to look back across the book(s) and make MASSIVE changes. It will be pretty difficult to find every part of your book(s) where these changes would have to apply, I admit. However, if you're willing to do this and work to make the changes needed, you can still save your book. And it'll still be quicker than starting from scratch.
I don't know if I speak for all novelist when I say this, but we typically take our novels very seriously. We want people to read what we wrote. We're often thinking about the book. The parts where we last stopped writing, as well as future plot lines that can be used. You've devoted 6 years of your life to this book(s), so don't give up on it so easily.
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 6:20:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
However, if I cannot change your mind, at least post the plot to the book(s) here on this forum. If you're a writer, you'll probably want somebody to read your work, even if it's crappy. So go ahead and post all the details of the book that you can think of.
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 2:33:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/18/2014 6:16:28 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Are you really going to give up 6 years of progress because there's something wrong with your plot?

Officially, I'm just taking a break.

My advice: do not scrap your book. If you're typing it on the computer, DO NOT delete it. Go back to the beginning and make changes to make the plot presentable. Of course, this will require you to look back across the book(s) and make MASSIVE changes. It will be pretty difficult to find every part of your book(s) where these changes would have to apply, I admit. However, if you're willing to do this and work to make the changes needed, you can still save your book. And it'll still be quicker than starting from scratch.

It's the basic premise that's flawed, so I'm probably gonna have to put it back on the drawing board before I write any more of it.

I'm using my current project to siphon off some of the darker stuff that I want to write about, but can't fit into the series. I think my being distracted was how the plot holes went unnoticed for this long.

I don't know if I speak for all novelist when I say this, but we typically take our novels very seriously. We want people to read what we wrote. We're often thinking about the book. The parts where we last stopped writing, as well as future plot lines that can be used. You've devoted 6 years of your life to this book(s), so don't give up on it so easily.

I'm using my current book to hone my skills. Once I'm a better writer, I hope to return to the series and see if it can be salvaged. Or, if I find better stuff to write, I may just move on. I'd like to see my series work, but I can't use 6 years of effort as my reason for doing it, as that's a Sunk Cost fallacy and would put way too much pressure on my performance.

However, if I cannot change your mind, at least post the plot to the book(s) here on this forum. If you're a writer, you'll probably want somebody to read your work, even if it's crappy. So go ahead and post all the details of the book that you can think of.

The plot of the book I'm currently working on (instead of the series) has this basic premise:

"Guy enters rebound relationship with a manipulative sluut, whilst trying to get back with his estranged wife and daughter, and must overcome his crippling psychological issues in the process."

.

Thanks for all your advice, I greatly appreciate it. You're a writer too, I gather?
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 2:37:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 2:33:03 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 2/18/2014 6:16:28 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Are you really going to give up 6 years of progress because there's something wrong with your plot?

Officially, I'm just taking a break.

My advice: do not scrap your book. If you're typing it on the computer, DO NOT delete it. Go back to the beginning and make changes to make the plot presentable. Of course, this will require you to look back across the book(s) and make MASSIVE changes. It will be pretty difficult to find every part of your book(s) where these changes would have to apply, I admit. However, if you're willing to do this and work to make the changes needed, you can still save your book. And it'll still be quicker than starting from scratch.

It's the basic premise that's flawed, so I'm probably gonna have to put it back on the drawing board before I write any more of it.

I'm using my current project to siphon off some of the darker stuff that I want to write about, but can't fit into the series. I think my being distracted was how the plot holes went unnoticed for this long.

I don't know if I speak for all novelist when I say this, but we typically take our novels very seriously. We want people to read what we wrote. We're often thinking about the book. The parts where we last stopped writing, as well as future plot lines that can be used. You've devoted 6 years of your life to this book(s), so don't give up on it so easily.

I'm using my current book to hone my skills. Once I'm a better writer, I hope to return to the series and see if it can be salvaged. Or, if I find better stuff to write, I may just move on. I'd like to see my series work, but I can't use 6 years of effort as my reason for doing it, as that's a Sunk Cost fallacy and would put way too much pressure on my performance.

However, if I cannot change your mind, at least post the plot to the book(s) here on this forum. If you're a writer, you'll probably want somebody to read your work, even if it's crappy. So go ahead and post all the details of the book that you can think of.

The plot of the book I'm currently working on (instead of the series) has this basic premise:

"Guy enters rebound relationship with a manipulative sluut, whilst trying to get back with his estranged wife and daughter, and must overcome his crippling psychological issues in the process."

.

Thanks for all your advice, I greatly appreciate it. You're a writer too, I gather?

Yeah. The synopsis for my story(s) is in the thread below yours at the time that I'm writing this.
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 2:43:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 2:37:31 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 2/19/2014 2:33:03 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 2/18/2014 6:16:28 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Are you really going to give up 6 years of progress because there's something wrong with your plot?

Officially, I'm just taking a break.

My advice: do not scrap your book. If you're typing it on the computer, DO NOT delete it. Go back to the beginning and make changes to make the plot presentable. Of course, this will require you to look back across the book(s) and make MASSIVE changes. It will be pretty difficult to find every part of your book(s) where these changes would have to apply, I admit. However, if you're willing to do this and work to make the changes needed, you can still save your book. And it'll still be quicker than starting from scratch.

It's the basic premise that's flawed, so I'm probably gonna have to put it back on the drawing board before I write any more of it.

I'm using my current project to siphon off some of the darker stuff that I want to write about, but can't fit into the series. I think my being distracted was how the plot holes went unnoticed for this long.

I don't know if I speak for all novelist when I say this, but we typically take our novels very seriously. We want people to read what we wrote. We're often thinking about the book. The parts where we last stopped writing, as well as future plot lines that can be used. You've devoted 6 years of your life to this book(s), so don't give up on it so easily.

I'm using my current book to hone my skills. Once I'm a better writer, I hope to return to the series and see if it can be salvaged. Or, if I find better stuff to write, I may just move on. I'd like to see my series work, but I can't use 6 years of effort as my reason for doing it, as that's a Sunk Cost fallacy and would put way too much pressure on my performance.

However, if I cannot change your mind, at least post the plot to the book(s) here on this forum. If you're a writer, you'll probably want somebody to read your work, even if it's crappy. So go ahead and post all the details of the book that you can think of.

The plot of the book I'm currently working on (instead of the series) has this basic premise:

"Guy enters rebound relationship with a manipulative sluut, whilst trying to get back with his estranged wife and daughter, and must overcome his crippling psychological issues in the process."

.

Thanks for all your advice, I greatly appreciate it. You're a writer too, I gather?

Yeah. The synopsis for my story(s) is in the thread below yours at the time that I'm writing this.

Looks good. How's it coming along?
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 2:45:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 2:43:21 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 2/19/2014 2:37:31 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 2/19/2014 2:33:03 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 2/18/2014 6:16:28 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Are you really going to give up 6 years of progress because there's something wrong with your plot?

Officially, I'm just taking a break.

My advice: do not scrap your book. If you're typing it on the computer, DO NOT delete it. Go back to the beginning and make changes to make the plot presentable. Of course, this will require you to look back across the book(s) and make MASSIVE changes. It will be pretty difficult to find every part of your book(s) where these changes would have to apply, I admit. However, if you're willing to do this and work to make the changes needed, you can still save your book. And it'll still be quicker than starting from scratch.

It's the basic premise that's flawed, so I'm probably gonna have to put it back on the drawing board before I write any more of it.

I'm using my current project to siphon off some of the darker stuff that I want to write about, but can't fit into the series. I think my being distracted was how the plot holes went unnoticed for this long.

I don't know if I speak for all novelist when I say this, but we typically take our novels very seriously. We want people to read what we wrote. We're often thinking about the book. The parts where we last stopped writing, as well as future plot lines that can be used. You've devoted 6 years of your life to this book(s), so don't give up on it so easily.

I'm using my current book to hone my skills. Once I'm a better writer, I hope to return to the series and see if it can be salvaged. Or, if I find better stuff to write, I may just move on. I'd like to see my series work, but I can't use 6 years of effort as my reason for doing it, as that's a Sunk Cost fallacy and would put way too much pressure on my performance.

However, if I cannot change your mind, at least post the plot to the book(s) here on this forum. If you're a writer, you'll probably want somebody to read your work, even if it's crappy. So go ahead and post all the details of the book that you can think of.

The plot of the book I'm currently working on (instead of the series) has this basic premise:

"Guy enters rebound relationship with a manipulative sluut, whilst trying to get back with his estranged wife and daughter, and must overcome his crippling psychological issues in the process."

.

Thanks for all your advice, I greatly appreciate it. You're a writer too, I gather?

Yeah. The synopsis for my story(s) is in the thread below yours at the time that I'm writing this.

Looks good. How's it coming along?

I wrote 300+ pages of it so far, but I'm losing steam. In total I've completed 6 episodes so far. Would you like to comment on my story synopsis?
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:01:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/17/2014 10:21:08 PM, Jack212 wrote:
I've been writing a series of fantasy novels for the last 6 years, and have repeatedly had to change the characters, plot, themes, etc, because they didn't work. A week ago I realised that the basic premise of the first book was flawed, and I had to abandon the thing entirely.

So I was sitting in my room, feeling really depressed. Suicidal, actually. I reflected on all the sh*t I've done wrong in my life, all the times I've failed, all the girls I should/shouldn't have screwed, all the fights I should/shouldn't have picked, and all the crippling psychological problems that my therapist seems completely oblivious to.

And I started writing about it.

Most writing how-to's will tell you to draw up a detailed outline of your plot first. I didn't. Here are the steps I took:

1. Remember the screwed-up relationship I had last year (this is the main interpersonal conflict of the book).

2. Define the main characters and the nature their relationships (happy, dysfunctional, romantic, familial, etc.).

3. Do a Mary-Sue test to make sure the characters are realistic ( http://www.springhole.net... ).

4. Write about the screwed-up relationship, and stick as close to reality as possible. Say the sh*t I wish I'd said, exaggerate the sh*t that happened, and write in the direction that I want my life to take. If there's a tangent or backstory that needs exploring, take an event from school or life and blow it up into something big.

Results after 1 week:

9 chapters,
11,000 words,
1 screwed-up protagonist with all of my dark and toxic insecurities floating around in his head,
a story that is so fun to write that I consider sleeping an interruption,
and a plot that is believable.

Plans for 2 weeks (from start):

15 chapters,
20,000 words,
my protagonist starts to sort out my issues for me,
and I've stopped sleeping in because it cuts into my writing time.

Dunno if you guys find this interesting, but I felt like sharing.

Sounds Good, jack. I'm a writer too and my life is just as messed up as yours ( if not worse )! I want to read your story as soon as you're done with it! Send me a personal message sometime.

( I focus more on science fiction; my stories have deep philosophical themes and they all mostly deal with how much of a let-down life can be, though I try to make the characters find satisfaction in the events of their lives. )
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:04:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
One theme that constantly comes up in my stories ( since my early twenties ) is the human pursuit of an ideal world (heaven). I'm convinced this is one of the best themes in all of science fiction!
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:06:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 3:04:52 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
One theme that constantly comes up in my stories ( since my early twenties ) is the human pursuit of an ideal world (heaven). I'm convinced this is one of the best themes in all of science fiction!

I blow myself away with some of my stories and story ideas! They're incredibly emotionally satisfying and amazing!
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:12:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 3:06:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:04:52 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
One theme that constantly comes up in my stories ( since my early twenties ) is the human pursuit of an ideal world (heaven). I'm convinced this is one of the best themes in all of science fiction!

I blow myself away with some of my stories and story ideas! They're incredibly emotionally satisfying and amazing!

Why don't you tell us some of your ideas?
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:19:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Okay bubba. I'll share with you two story ideas I've been constructing in my head for years now. I wont tell you everything because one day these stories are going to make me rich and famous - and I still want to have questions by the time I'm done explaining them.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:21:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Both stories revolve around the human pursuit of heaven though.

I'll explain the first one in a moment, after I serve myself a quick drink.
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:30:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 3:02:49 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
We should have an aspiring writers' workshop here on DDO. That would be fun.

We could use this thread to start off with.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:52:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The first story:

This one takes place approximately 300 to 500 years in the future, inside of an enormous space vessel, which is loaded with life-support systems and the necessary technology to keep tens of thousands of people alive, though in the story there are about 120 people onboard the ship, between the ages of 3 and 26. There's an enormous back story to the plot that slowly gets revealed during the story, and you discover that the enormous ship is stranded in space and is stuck in orbit around an enormous gray planet which the ship's inhabitants call "Nucleus". When the ship departed from Earth some 70 years earlier during a great extinction event ( I'm thinking a colossal asteroid ), the engines malfunctioned and the ship ended up drifting in space, eventually passing through a star system and falling into orbit around "Nucleus".

The ship was one of hundreds of ships that left Earth. None of the other ships appeared to malfunction. Earth was destroyed.

The ship served as a kind of Noah's Ark, and had libraries, a kind of onboard zoo, and had tens of thousands of human inhabitants, none of which were allowed to reproduce to stabilize the population in the ship ( the men and women were given a chemical to keep them infertile ). Artificial gravity was provided to every level of the ship through the artificial gravity plant at the base of the ship.

300 years earlier, humankind also entered a great period of philosophical enlightenment, where world peace was established and world government's implemented programs to create "paradise" on Earth - essentially "Heaven". This means that humans gave up natural trophism ( the ingestion of plant and animal-based food material for sustenance ) and invented processes where essential chemicals found in food material could be synthesized in factories ( which were called "conversion factories" ). Animals kept in zoos were also gradually prepared for this kind of trophic lifestyle.

The ship had a conversion factory, which could covert raw material from an asteroid - or even better - a nearby planet into a very nutritious "slop" ( of varying consistencies and textures ) that could "wean even the most malnourished person back to health".

The planetary gas and soil is scooped up in a remote-piloted small craft that returns to the ship and dumps the material onto a conveyor, which sends it to the conversion factory for the synthesis of organic food material for the humans and animals.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:03:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The first story ( continued ):

Anyway, you discover that the 120 inhabitants of the ship ( incapable of propulsion ) are clones of the last 120 human survivors. Every human on board the ship died and were not capable of natural reproduction because of the chemical that was initially provided to them. The last 120 human survivors, seeing that the ship's entire purpose was meaningless, decided to clone themselves in a makeshift laboratory ( they were quite smart ) in hopes that one day the clones and the ship would be rediscovered by the other humans that left Earth 50 - 70 years earlier.

When the story begins, the originally human inhabitants are all dead; only the clones remain. The originally human inhabitants are fondly mentioned by the clones during the story, however.

Anyway, when the story begins you discover that the second oldest male clone carries the label "Chief Overseer", which is something identical to a President, and there are other clones of varying age ( mostly in their very late teens, early twenties ) serving in positions of government ( judges, political assistants ). You also discover that the oldest clone is by far the smartest and he had the most years of experience dealing with that last humans aboard the ship, who were very smart. He is looked-up in the story because of his incredible intellect and because of his engineering prowess ( he knows what to do when the ship is in trouble ). But there's something strange with him because you discover that he is incarcerated in one of the rooms at the botton of the ship, and his room is constantly guarded by two teenage "prison guards".

His story is by far the most interesting . . .
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:06:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 3:52:07 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
The first story:

This one takes place approximately 300 to 500 years in the future, inside of an enormous space vessel, which is loaded with life-support systems and the necessary technology to keep tens of thousands of people alive, though in the story there are about 120 people onboard the ship, between the ages of 3 and 26. There's an enormous back story to the plot that slowly gets revealed during the story, and you discover that the enormous ship is stranded in space and is stuck in orbit around an enormous gray planet which the ship's inhabitants call "Nucleus". When the ship departed from Earth some 70 years earlier during a great extinction event ( I'm thinking a colossal asteroid ), the engines malfunctioned and the ship ended up drifting in space, eventually passing through a star system and falling into orbit around "Nucleus".

The ship was one of hundreds of ships that left Earth. None of the other ships appeared to malfunction. Earth was destroyed.

The ship served as a kind of Noah's Ark, and had libraries, a kind of onboard zoo, and had tens of thousands of human inhabitants, none of which were allowed to reproduce to stabilize the population in the ship ( the men and women were given a chemical to keep them infertile ). Artificial gravity was provided to every level of the ship through the artificial gravity plant at the base of the ship.

300 years earlier, humankind also entered a great period of philosophical enlightenment, where world peace was established and world government's implemented programs to create "paradise" on Earth - essentially "Heaven". This means that humans gave up natural trophism ( the ingestion of plant and animal-based food material for sustenance ) and invented processes where essential chemicals found in food material could be synthesized in factories ( which were called "conversion factories" ). Animals kept in zoos were also gradually prepared for this kind of trophic lifestyle.

The ship had a conversion factory, which could covert raw material from an asteroid - or even better - a nearby planet into a very nutritious "slop" ( of varying consistencies and textures ) that could "wean even the most malnourished person back to health".

The planetary gas and soil is scooped up in a remote-piloted small craft that returns to the ship and dumps the material onto a conveyor, which sends it to the conversion factory for the synthesis of organic food material for the humans and animals.

So does the story simply tell about the lives of the people on the ship? Or does it revolve around a person or a group of people who eventually help repair the engines and escape from the orbit of Nucleus?
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:08:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 4:06:13 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:52:07 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
The first story:

This one takes place approximately 300 to 500 years in the future, inside of an enormous space vessel, which is loaded with life-support systems and the necessary technology to keep tens of thousands of people alive, though in the story there are about 120 people onboard the ship, between the ages of 3 and 26. There's an enormous back story to the plot that slowly gets revealed during the story, and you discover that the enormous ship is stranded in space and is stuck in orbit around an enormous gray planet which the ship's inhabitants call "Nucleus". When the ship departed from Earth some 70 years earlier during a great extinction event ( I'm thinking a colossal asteroid ), the engines malfunctioned and the ship ended up drifting in space, eventually passing through a star system and falling into orbit around "Nucleus".

The ship was one of hundreds of ships that left Earth. None of the other ships appeared to malfunction. Earth was destroyed.

The ship served as a kind of Noah's Ark, and had libraries, a kind of onboard zoo, and had tens of thousands of human inhabitants, none of which were allowed to reproduce to stabilize the population in the ship ( the men and women were given a chemical to keep them infertile ). Artificial gravity was provided to every level of the ship through the artificial gravity plant at the base of the ship.

300 years earlier, humankind also entered a great period of philosophical enlightenment, where world peace was established and world government's implemented programs to create "paradise" on Earth - essentially "Heaven". This means that humans gave up natural trophism ( the ingestion of plant and animal-based food material for sustenance ) and invented processes where essential chemicals found in food material could be synthesized in factories ( which were called "conversion factories" ). Animals kept in zoos were also gradually prepared for this kind of trophic lifestyle.

The ship had a conversion factory, which could covert raw material from an asteroid - or even better - a nearby planet into a very nutritious "slop" ( of varying consistencies and textures ) that could "wean even the most malnourished person back to health".

The planetary gas and soil is scooped up in a remote-piloted small craft that returns to the ship and dumps the material onto a conveyor, which sends it to the conversion factory for the synthesis of organic food material for the humans and animals.

So does the story simply tell about the lives of the people on the ship? Or does it revolve around a person or a group of people who eventually help repair the engines and escape from the orbit of Nucleus?

Ahhh . . . the story is much more deeper than that, bubba! I'm getting to that.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:22:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The first story ( continued ):

Anyway, the oldest clone - a male, age 26 - was previously the Chief Overseer of the ships inhabitants, being that he was the oldest and the smartest; he was also made in charge by the final humans before they died, so as to keep watch over the younger human clones.

But 26-year old clone was obsessed with the great mystery of Earth, which he never got to see. He was obsessed and entertained by so many of the human ways and so much of the "old ways" that he was told about and read about in books, and watched in videos. He was infatuated with "Nature". One day, after watching a video documentary about animals in the "old" nature, he did something ignominious ( quite perverse ) - he took one of the youngest clones, which he was trusted to watch over, struck him in the head with an object and ate pieces of him! The body of the dead child was discovered, and only for a couple of days was he able to hide the actual events of the child's death. But eventually he was discovered. He was convicted by a court of fellow clones and sentenced to "life imprisonment" at the base of the ship! The second oldest clone was immediately elected to take his place.

The story begins two years after this event.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:37:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anyway, I wont give any more away, only to say that the first part of the story is about relationships and about the culture on the ship, about the technology, about the great philosophical enlightenment that the clones adhere to and which developed on Earth.

The second part of the novel ( it would have to be a long story ) is about the conflict of philosophies: between the utopian/paradise philosophy that virtually all the human clones adhere to and the naturalistic philosophy the oldest clones and a few others in his circle secretly subscribe to. It basically becomes a philosophical battle between a utopian view of things and a naturalist view of things, and this comes to a head in the middle of the story when carnivorous aliens from the planet "Nucleus" manage to get into the ship. Things get nuts and the humans clones are suddenly confronted by the crude practices of the old nature - but they are the prey and the aliens are the predators!

In the excitement, many fantastic events happen, and the oldest is liberated from his "cell" in the bottom of the ship and makes a play for power, overthrowing the government of the second oldest clone! Let's just say things get wild.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:43:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anyway, the theme of the first story is nature versus paradise.

The theme of the second story, which is totally unrelated to the first, is about finding hope in a world that remains imperfect.

I'll share this one in a little bit. I'm going to have a snack.

So what do you think about the first story?
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 6:09:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
UPDATE:

It's been 10 days since I started writing this book. So far I have...

- Written 20,000 words...
- ... in 11 and a half chapters (13 and a half to go)
- Rearranged the plot after twice writing myself into a corner
- Developed an addiction to caffeine
- Gone several days without showering, changing my clothes or (thankfully) leaving the house
- Realized that my book's sex scenes are too graphic, and will need to be toned down during revision
- Come up with an idea for my next project

Goals to achieve by Day 15:

- Reach 30,000 words
- At least 5 and a half more chapters
- Reduce my dependence on caffeine
- Be ready for the new semester at university
- Find my phone charger so I'll know if I received any texts last week
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 4:23:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have a cool fantasy monster in my head, a thing that doesn't sleep and a whole load of psychological stuff I could build around that (as regards both human psychology and the monster's psychology), but besides that it's just not coming to something real. Nobody steal my idea.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 4:30:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/19/2014 4:23:34 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
The story gets much, much better . . .

Sounds like a mix of Trigun, Moon and The Shining, lol.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 4:34:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/23/2014 4:23:28 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I have a cool fantasy monster in my head, a thing that doesn't sleep and a whole load of psychological stuff I could build around that (as regards both human psychology and the monster's psychology), but besides that it's just not coming to something real. Nobody steal my idea.

I mean, is there anything like this? It certainly seems that something quite chilling could be made out of it.