Jump to topic:

The Forever Tree

Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 2:56:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is a short story/fable that I wrote one day when I was sitting outside admiring the snow-covered trees. It is somewhat of a children's story, but I'm sure that there is something In it for just about everyone. Please ignore any grammatical errors, this is merely a rough draft.

I know that this is probably a given, but please don't copy my work. I am the original author of this and I am very proud if it. Thank you, and I hope that you enjoy!

The Forever Tree

In the land of the Great Forest, there lived many trees and very few humans. The trees loved the humans, they would offer them their branches for shelter from the harsh storms; and keep them warm with their many sources of firewood. Yet, amongst the large variety of maple and pine trees, there stood a small tree. He would look up at all the tall trees feeling sorrow, crying day in and day out knowing that he would never be as tall"they looked down at him with bitterness. Nonetheless, a small boy was walking through the Great Forest one day; admiring the grace of the beautiful trees swaying in the wind. It wasn"t too soon till he came to a clearing, and noticed the puny tree shriveled to one side.

He quickly walked up to the tree, eager to speak to it: "Hello there tree," the boy said, "what are you doing all curled up to one side?" The small tree felt comfort at the sound of the little boy"s voice, he never knew that someone could be so caring; especially a human. "Why, I"m just very sad" That"s all." The small tree curled up even more, trying to hide his branches from the giants surrounding him. The little boy was confused; he had no idea what was the matter with this beautiful tree: "Well, why are you so sad then?" the boy said, looking up to the tree with worried eyes. The small tree turned towards the boy, and was shocked to discover that he was, in fact, larger than the boy. "I am sad, because I am not as tall as the others. My branches don"t sway in the wind, because there is no wind down this low to the ground. How I wish that I could be as tall as the others; and see the world from so high up." The boy smiled, for he always wanted the same thing. "I am the smallest in my family," the boy said, "I can"t wait to be all grown up! Because I know that I will be big and tall just like my dad." The boy was suddenly cut short of his happiness when he came to a grim realization. "Where are your parents?" the little boy asked the tree. The small tree slunk closer towards the ground, filled with sorrow: "I don"t know, when I sprouted about 7 years ago, I looked around and couldn"t find anyone" I don"t even know what type of tree I am." The boy was filled with sadness for the tree, but smiled and attempted to encourage the tree: "Hey, we are the same age! We can be like brothers!" The tree returned a smile, and reached out to hug the boy with his branches. They embraced each other, underneath the prying jealous eyes of the larger conifers that surrounded them. "I have to go" the little boy told his newly found friend, "tomorrow, I will come and visit you again." The tree was delighted; he had never had a friend before. "I can"t wait! Please hurry back!" And with a quick jump to his feet, the boy ran home, waving goodbye to his friend. The tree waved back, eager for the sun to rise for the new day.

When the boy returned home, he ran inside to see his dad"he as getting prepared for supper. "Dad!" he blurted out with excitement, "I made a new friend today!" Before his father could say anything, the boy jumped up on to his dad"s lap, making his father grunt. "My, you"re getting heavy" his father said, "or I"m just getting old, haha." He gently sat his son onto the bench next to him, and handed him a plate of food, when he eagerly began to eat. "So, tell me about this new friend of yours." The boy placed his fork onto his plate and turned towards his father, "Dad, I made a friend with a tree, but not just any tree. He is like my brother! He is smaller than the rest of them, but he is special; he is 7 years old, just like me!" When his father heard this, he smiled to himself, "Son, this tree will be a lifetime friend, I can promise you that much." He patted his son on his head, "be a good friend to him, and he will reward you some day; you wait and see." The boy smiled, thankful for his new best friend. "Now, up to bed, my boy; you can see your friend tomorrow." The boy eagerly rushed to his room, where he rested for the night. His father remained at the table though, tears forming in his eyes" tears of joy. "Brothers," he muttered to himself.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 3:02:05 AM
The very next day, the boy returned to the tree and did so every day for the next 20 years. The boy grew taller and taller, and so did his best friend; eventually, he married and had children of his own. One day the man went into the Great Forest to see his best friend and was shocked when he observed how tall the tree had gotten over the years. The man looked up at his friend, straight up; as he towered over every tree in the forest. The man called out, trying to say hello to the tree, but the tree could not hear him"he was too tall, and the wind was strong so high up. The man started to cry, his best friend whom he had known for over two decades, could not hear him; he knew that the tree missed him as well. Eventually, the man almost lost his voice from yelling for so long at the tree; he decided that it was time to leave. He returned home to his wife, never feeling so sad in his life.

Years pass, and the man had yet to speak to his friend. One day, however, he was out in the yard helping his wife plant flowers" When he heard a large *thunk* ; the ground shook soon after. He was terrified; he dropped what he was doing and ran into the Great Forest; past the old upturned stumps and bristles, past the old brook. When he reached the clearing, he was shocked to find that his friend had been chopped down and was lying on the ground. The man ran for what seemed like hours towards the top of the tree, screaming for him to respond: "Friend! Friend!" the man shouted, "Are you hurt, are you okay?!" The tree groaned, and smiled at the man. "It has been many years, old friend." The tree said, "You have been my life ever since we were children, and you have helped me to grow so tall and strong." The man knelt down, "I"m so sorry; I shouldn"t have left you, now you aren"t as tall as the others" Your branches don"t sway in the wind, and you can"t see from up so high." The tree returned his frown with a smile. "No, you have shown me that all I ever needed was a friend to bring me back down to earth; a friend who makes me bigger and stronger than I ever thought possible." The tree continued, "I want you to have this. May your children help this to grow into a strong, fine tree; I know that they will love this and cherish this as much as you have loved me." The man reached out his hand, with which the old tree had dropped a tiny pebble. "I promise." The man said through his tears, and embraced his old friend one last time.

The very next day, the man went to speak to his old father; he had never felt so upset in his life. "Dad, Dad!" he said to him, wailing in sorrow. "What is the matter, my boy?" The man embraced his father, "My friend is gone, and he stands tall no more. They have taken him away." The father wrapped his arms around his son, feeling the pain that he once felt from long ago. "But, he gave me this"" the man showed his father the tiny pebble that the tree had given him. "My son," the father began to smile; "now you can fulfill your promise! Go out and find a clearing in the Great Woods, plant that little pebble into the ground. One day, when your children are older, they and the tree will be great friends" their friendship will last a lifetime." The man began to smile at the sound of his father"s voice, "You mean, you were the one who planted my best friend? It was you who gave me this wonderful gift of friendship?" The father cried, shedding another tear. "That"s right, my son, I once had a best friend. When it was his time to leave, he gave me a little pebble and told me to plant it in a clearing. I did, and it made me so happy to see that you had such a wonderful friend." They hugged each other, everything was made clear now. "Now go, plant the seed and let it grow to be a wonderful friend to your children, and a mighty tree over all the others." So among the large variety of trees, there would forever stand one small boy, and one mighty Redwood tree.

The End
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 3:07:28 AM
*I apologize about the excessive amount of quotation marks. I had just realized this after posting. It is simply an incompatibility error because of the medium that I copied the story from.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 2:31:14 PM
So, did the tree die? If so, did he die shortly after being chopped down, or did he die because they chopped him up into firewood?
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 2:50:44 PM
At 2/25/2014 2:31:14 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
So, did the tree die? If so, did he die shortly after being chopped down, or did he die because they chopped him up into firewood?

Thank you! I never thought of it in detail, but I would like to think he died shortly after being chopped down. That way he wouldn't have to suffer- and this makes sense even if the trees weren't personified :)
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 8:11:12 PM
However, here's the thing:
The tree's death is the end of something that's been going on for 20 years. For that to truly mean anything to the reader, you must take the reader through those 20 years. They must experience what the kid and the tree experienced together. Otherwise, it will mean little to the reader.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 4:41:43 PM
At 2/25/2014 8:11:12 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
However, here's the thing:
The tree's death is the end of something that's been going on for 20 years. For that to truly mean anything to the reader, you must take the reader through those 20 years. They must experience what the kid and the tree experienced together. Otherwise, it will mean little to the reader.

Very helpful point, that will also help to lengthen the story- thank you.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 5:51:26 PM
At 3/5/2014 1:56:23 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I loved the story, bucket.

I didn't even notice the overuse of quotation marks.

Well done.

Thank you :)
kiryasjoelvillage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 12:45:40 AM
At 2/25/2014 3:07:28 AM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
*I apologize about the excessive amount of quotation marks. I had just realized this after posting. It is simply an incompatibility error because of the medium that I copied the story from.
Loved it!
Liked your thought process!