Jump to topic:

The art of handwriting

Antiphone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 11:52:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do you think that handwriting should be taught? Or is it obsolete? Some schools still insist on teaching cursive script. Something which a lot of people can not read anyway. Some schools still insist that children use fountain pens. When you consider that almost all communications is now done with keyboards, keypads and voice, handwriting is hardly preparing them for a job or a future.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 12:00:32 AM
At 3/5/2014 11:52:19 PM, Antiphone wrote:
Do you think that handwriting should be taught? Or is it obsolete? Some schools still insist on teaching cursive script. Something which a lot of people can not read anyway. Some schools still insist that children use fountain pens. When you consider that almost all communications is now done with keyboards, keypads and voice, handwriting is hardly preparing them for a job or a future.

Handwriting may be helpful in certain emergency situations. For instance, being able to write a note in a bottle if you're stranded on a desert island , or if the electrical grid gets knocked out by a tremendous solar flare and you need to make a looting list, or even in case of the apparently inevitable zombie apocalypse and you want to write taunting graffiti to the zombies - being able to manually write could be beneficial. :P
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Antiphone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 12:24:53 PM
I asked this of a guy at a meeting the other day and he pointed out to me that the value of learning cursive handwriting is not in whether of not you will use it, but in the development of fine motor skills, which has an effect on general intelligence.
CaptainLucid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 1:39:05 AM
At 3/16/2014 12:24:53 PM, Antiphone wrote:
I asked this of a guy at a meeting the other day and he pointed out to me that the value of learning cursive handwriting is not in whether of not you will use it, but in the development of fine motor skills, which has an effect on general intelligence.

Interesting idea from this guy who from his attitude I suspect has excellent handwriting and thinks himself above average. I would have to disagree with him though. I learned cursive in kindergarten because they sent me to the first grade class in the afternoons and I just understood it before they tried to teach me. I have been taught calligraphy. I tested in the 99th percentile in every big test like the SAT and LSAT I have ever taken. I also took some aptitude testing and rank in the bottom 3% in fine motor dexterity. Teaching me handwriting was useless. I can sign my name and print slowly but I will always be minimal at it. Fine motor skills do not reflect intelligence, they are just another talent.
Jhale
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2014 2:49:07 AM
Handwriting (potentially moreso with cursive) is important in keeping the magick of the art of literature. Maybe we can use all electronics, but they also impose a huge handicap of providing distractions. Even looking up information impedes the thought process of writing; It can be hard to stop learning and start exploring.
0 is the whole, the advent or the extinction. 0 confronts all aspects of a problem by coexistence.
litforbrains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 5:06:24 PM
There is no better way to learn writing than by hand. Yes, you can type very fast on the computer. But when it comes to forming your own style, slowing down and observing your mind, see if you can find a better technique than writing on paper.

It's much more difficult, and it requires much more patience to write by hand. However, I have found great value in handwriting. That's not to say that I don't write a lot by computer. I'm typing out this post, but the intricacies and subtleties of my writing style have been built and incorporated through reading and writing (primarily by hand). It's just magical. My blog posts and writing style flow in a much more beautiful and harmonious way when I write by hand.

English Composition class, even in this digital age, should be taught slowly and meticulously. What do you know?! Writing by hand has slowness and meticulousness built-in. Two classic virtues that have been lost in modern society.