What is true hip-hop?

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 1:07:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.radiolab.org...

Brilliant pod cast by radio lab. For those who have not listened to Radio Lab, they tend to focus on science. This pod cast was all about a white DJ who broke in the underground hip hop scene, creates an uproar when he dis-ed Nicki Minaj for selling out with her pop song.

This DJ is considered one of the gate keepers of traditional hip-hop and the pod cast is all about categories and how we define them. It questions:

* How does the category (hip hop) change? What can change about it and still be considered hip hop?

* Who can make those category definitions? A white guy raised in suburbia Virginia?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 1:15:17 PM
After listening to this while swimming laps, i was a little disappointed in humanity.

I understand Rosenbergs desire to keep a strict standard on what is hip hop, but I am very disappointed that he is like many people who get on an artists case when they try a different genres.

We have all had bands or singers that decide to go off on another area. You buy the album and hate it.

Ironically, many times after giving the album another go a few times, it still ends up being good music. I posted in science forum a year or so ago a study that demonstrated how much one likes music is dependent upon whether they can predict it (unconsciously of course)

On the other hand I have a big problem with Minaj instantly assuming Rosenberg has no credibility on the hip hop genre because he is white.

Very interesting discussion though.
WiseWordsWaysNActions
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 10:48:09 PM
At 4/6/2014 1:07:51 PM, slo1 wrote:

Brilliant pod cast by radio lab. For those who have not listened to Radio Lab, they tend to focus on science. This pod cast was all about a white DJ who broke in the underground hip hop scene, creates an uproar when he dis-ed Nicki Minaj for selling out with her pop song.

This DJ is considered one of the gate keepers of traditional hip-hop and the pod cast is all about categories and how we define them. It questions:

* How does the category (hip hop) change? What can change about it and still be considered hip hop?

* Who can make those category definitions? A white guy raised in suburbia Virginia?

HIP HOP's core principles are not not made to change....freak wild bull crap and non-conscious clown mcs with no SAVING POWER in their message are not considered HIP HOP believe me. If the whiteboy is a true student of the craft he has a say when he hears some garbage....most white dudes who get into hip hop deal with the purest form of hip hop music, because of the art of beat and rhyme creation, which is very intriguing. Radio rap mainly attracts brothas who are living in poverty, because with one hit song you can secure a future, plus it consist of hood/gangsta music which sells like hotcakes. For that reason, you don't see many white dudes gettin their Young Jeezy on, but they do relate to the more artistic craft of sampling and writing fly rhymes.
nicraM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 3:12:47 PM
At 4/6/2014 1:07:51 PM, slo1 wrote:

: stylized rhythmic music that commonly accompanies rapping, a rhythmic and rhyming speech that is chanted.

As long as it is rhythmic and there is a chanting rhyme behind it, that is all that constitutes hip hop. While I am not found of most mainstream music, especially mainstream rap/hip hop for the most part. His argument is ill placed. It's not the actual artist he has a problem with, it's the way they want to use the tool of hip hop. Now, that doesn't make it less hip hop because some DJ's opinion of how hip hop should be and how it is do not match.

That was hard for me to write cause, well, I actually agree with DJ white wonder. Nicki is dirt!

Him being a supposed purist, I would have to say yes. At least more so than Minaj. I mean let's face it it may still fall into the realm of hip hop but her stuff is pretty damn bad.