American vs. British Comedy

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 10:01:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Which is funnier?

I'm an American, but I got to give this one to the Brits. One has to go back quite a ways in my opinion to find good American comedy. I don't think comedy exists as a legitimate genre anymore in America.

Although I'm not so sure the Brits are putting out anything all that great either at the moment. But that may be as a result of lack of access. British comedy is primarily broadcasted here in the States on PBS, and there's not a lot of post 90's imports on PBS anymore. And I don't like BBC America, which quite frankly seems to becoming less and less British as time goes on.

I think it's noteworthy that some successful American comedies were based on British comedies. All In The Family was based on a britcom. So was Sanford And Son. The Office of course is another example. The American version of The Office (although I admit to not seeing much of it.....but I think for a good reason) is not anywhere as good as the Brit version as far as I'm concerned.

My only exposure to American comedy is commercials. Watching maybe a sporting event on network TV, and thus seeing a commercial with the comedic hook being tossed out to lure one into viewership. And unless they are purposely choosing the least funniest moments of the show, I can't imagine where they ever get the idea that these shows fall into the comedy category. Is there a new genre that I didn't know about that entails non-funny programming with a laugh track?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:23:02 PM
I do like a few original American comedies (Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm, and Southpark). However, my favorites will always be British. I love French and Saunders (The impressions!), Keeping Up Appearances, Yes Minister, Blackadder, The Catherine Tate Show, and Absolutely Fabulous.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
draxhunter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 8:30:05 PM
I can't say. In some ways British Comedy is way funnier. In More hypocritical ways it's American. If you watched Mr. Bean, Mind your language, Misfits and other tv shows you find out the quality in British Comedy is higher. I feel like British Comedy is funnier. It's all opinionated.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 5:35:46 AM
At 4/12/2014 4:23:02 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I do like a few original American comedies (Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm, and Southpark). However, my favorites will always be British. I love French and Saunders (The impressions!), Keeping Up Appearances, Yes Minister, Blackadder, The Catherine Tate Show, and Absolutely Fabulous.

The Black Adder had a phenomenal line-up. Fry, Laurie, Atkinson, Mayall, etc.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 5:49:19 AM
At 4/13/2014 8:30:05 PM, draxhunter wrote:
I can't say. In some ways British Comedy is way funnier. In More hypocritical ways it's American. If you watched Mr. Bean, Mind your language, Misfits and other tv shows you find out the quality in British Comedy is higher. I feel like British Comedy is funnier. It's all opinionated.
It's definitely more sophisticated. But yes, it depends on what people perceive as humor. British comedy will go over the heads of many Americans who can relate more to Al Bundy and Dianne Chambers than Hyacinth Bucket and Sir Humphrey Appleby.