Jump to topic:

Need advice on certain piano techniques

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 7:41:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lately I downloaded and printed off this piece of music because it advertised itself as being 'advanced.' To any knowledgeable piano player, I'd appreciate it if you could give me advice on some parts within the piece: http://sheethost.com... (may require download to view the other pages).

The first point I find difficult is the A diminished 5th arpeggio that runs down 5 octaves in demi-semi quavers at bar 26. It runs too quickly to utilize both hands, thus using 1 hand is the only way to do it. The problem I have is that I simply cannot move my hand fast enough to the next position after I have pressed the A with my thumb. How do I approach this situation?

The second problem I'm having starts at bar 34. Here the left hand part breaks off into two parts where one is the melody up around middle C, and the lower part is rhythmic harmony part an octave lower. Playing 3 parts with 2 hands would not be such a bother if I knew how to do it without utilizing my extensor muscles in my arm to move my left hand left and right at the speed of the song. As a concert technique, I must not use any arm muscles and minimize any and all muscle use in order to play at speed for prolonged periods of time. I have experimented with moving left, then up and back down to the melody part to avoid using the extensor muscle whilst still producing the correct tone, however accuracy is somewhat diminished. My problem here is not that I am failing to hit the correct notes on time, but that I can feel it in my arms, and therefore I am doing it incorrectly. How do I actually do this?

The final part I am having difficulty with is bar 42. I can play this except always somewhere one of the notes will be wrong as I have missed them while playing. What would you suggest I do?

To anyone who may grant me the advice, I thank thee.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 11:29:41 PM
This advice will probably be garbage to you but:

1. Practice. There is no trick, you just have to keep working at it.

2. Work out your muscles if you need to. You don't have to try to not use your muscles if you just work then out enough to use them for prolonged periods of time. :P
oculus_de_logica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:19:24 AM
I for some reason cannot view the piece in question, so I'll just throw general tips at you.

Don't play parts you're not 100% confident in at full speed. Slow down and play like you are playing piano for the first time in your life. Once you can play that part of the song correctly without strain speed it up bit by bit until you find a speed you struggle with, then play at that tempo for a while. in essence this is just practice.

Try to avoid moving any muscles that you don't need to move. if I am to exaggerate: don't swing your hand over your head if you can just move your elbow a bit to the left. the best techniques involve as little extra movement as possible, correct piano posture (both including the torso, arms, wrist, and fingers) should decrease strain, try just to use natural movements.

Don't play trough the entire piece to play a single part, that should be a no-brainer but I felt it best to stress it anyway. Don't waste time perfecting one part when the rest of the song is still a hassle to you.
<( o_o )>