Jump to topic:

Possibly the stupidest thing ever..

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2008 12:19:17 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
In the middle of a busy road, some smarta**'s decided to erect art, with road signs. Check it out : http://img.dailymail.co.uk...
Even in a musuem someone would get run over. Who even looked at a road sign and gone 'The 45 degrees away from a stop sign would be magnificent!'
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2008 4:49:51 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
Modern art is basically normal art of speed. Lots of shapes that don't make sense, and colours that make it just stupid.
manutdredseal46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2008 11:57:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/7/2008 9:02:33 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I heard someone once purchased a portrait of a dot for 100,000 dollars.

That's the human race for ya. Woww... we're good.
-ManUtdRedSeal46
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2008 12:03:22 PM
At 12/7/2008 9:02:33 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I heard someone once purchased a portrait of a dot for 100,000 dollars.

The dot probably had a beard or something.
paramore102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2008 8:31:57 AM
Art is anything im sure if you knew something about art in the first place that you'd understand it im sure that, the dot had some sort of meaning. The person that purchesed it may have incountered something from his/her past.
-Paramore102- "Don't take the wrong side of an argument just because your opponent has taken the right side." a quote by Baltasar Gracian
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2008 9:59:28 AM
At 12/17/2008 8:31:57 AM, paramore102 wrote:
Art is anything im sure if you knew something about art in the first place that you'd understand it im sure that, the dot had some sort of meaning. The person that purchesed it may have incountered something from his/her past.

A train tunnel entrance, the top of a chocolate cake, a pan hurling towards your face, a trampoline whilst mid-air, a full stop in your favourite book, a black hole. Seen in life, but in anyway significant?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 3:30:52 PM
I must say that I am appalled and deeply disappointed in the ignorance and close-mindedness I hear coming from these forums regarding art. Whether you fancy a particular genre or not, to make the assertion that fans of modern art are pretentious is absolutely ridiculous and unwaranted. Art is art because one perceives it that way. While you may find some works to be frivolous (either because you are incapable or disinterested in finding the symbology or alternate meaning), another may find that same piece life-altering...

To judge them because of your own inadequacy or inability to grasp an alternate POV is immature. Consider the philosophy of aesthetics -- and if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up, as most of you are probably self-proclaimed intellectuals. Spending an exorbitant amount of money on a picture of a dot is no more 'crazy' than one donating or spending money in terms of being a missionary or attempting to convert others to one's religion. What's important is how a piece of art or *anything* for that matter affects a person -- that is how they determine what they are willing to spend money on.

That dot could be symbolic of god knows what (maybe they were tripping on mushrooms and saw a bunch of dots, so the dots represent enlightenment or something for christ's sake)... the same way a heart is symbolic of love to many people; a rose is symbolic of many things (women and sex, to name a few); the eagle is symbolic to certain nations, etc.

Some people spend hundreds of dollars on tattoos. Why. Some people spend millions of dollars on yachts. If that picture of the dot can give someone the same degree of happiness or fulfillment as a yacht can give another, who are you to judge them or make assumptions about their character? Happiness or what makes one happy is subjective.

Sure there are a lot of pretentious artists or wannabe art connossieurs. But they don't speak for the masses. Be careful of your absolutes, friends. And try not to be so judgmental. ESPECIALLY if you haven't taken at least a basic collegiate level art class to gain some insight before offering such harsh criticism.

I really expected more from this place.

*Shrugs*
President of DDO
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 4:38:30 PM
It seems there is some misunderstanding here (at least in terms of my initial post). It's not that I cannot fathom how one could possibly appreciate something as seemingly simple as a dot. Quite the contrary . . . just as I am aware of how people could consider "rap" as pleasing to the ear in spite of the fact that it is a form of music which I despise.

My reason for surprise in someone purchasing a dot is simply that a dot is something mostly (I'm tempted to say everyone, but there are a few technicalities that revolve around physical or mental handicaps) anyone can easily reproduce. Rather than use 100,000 dollars to purchase this dot, an individual could very well purchase a pencil for less than a single dollar (or whatever instrument that was used to produce this dot) and enjoy the dot without having spent any large amount of money. Basically, my concern isn't difference in taste, but rather economics (and nothing more).

Now if the intent of purchasing said art has more to do with praising the original artist (perhaps for being so bold), then it's a different story
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 4:46:52 PM
The problem, the Lword, is that a dot can be made by anyone, for much cheaper. Why spend so much money on something you can have for the price of a sheet of paper and a dab of ink?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 4:47:23 PM
huh, totally did not notice there was a page 2 lol.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 7:20:04 PM
Why do some people pay so much money for autographs? Couldn't they just write "Elvis Presley" on a piece of paper for much less?
President of DDO
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 7:39:25 PM
At 12/23/2008 7:20:04 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Why do some people pay so much money for autographs? Couldn't they just write "Elvis Presley" on a piece of paper for much less?

Not the same. People pay so much money for autographs because they think highly of the person making the autograph. In the case of purchasing a dot on a poster, we're discussing someone paying a great deal of money entirely out of concern for the art that is signified through the dot.

As said in my previous post, if someone were to purchase the dot on a portrait not merely because they enjoy it as art but rather because of interest in the actual artist, it would be a different story.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 8:28:42 PM
I was agreeing with you and including an additional example for Ragnar.

Plus, in addition, people could be paying for a specific type of dot (if it was created with unique or rare materials), or if it's from a specific time period (age tends to increase value in terms of art).
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 9:28:52 PM
I don't consider the purchase of autographs to make much sense either, lol.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2008 10:10:02 PM
John, thanks to basic laws of capitalism (supply and demand), I highly doubt you'll receive much of a response... Though your attempt at being clever was duly noted - thanks!
President of DDO
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2008 1:37:30 AM
It's not about the dot, it's about who signed the work. Hockney, Emin, et al could sign a blank canvas and charge a fortune for it (and probably have, I don't know and I can't be bothered to check) but pretentious nouveau riche buyers won't care so long as they can point to it when entertaining guests.

That's not to say there isn't some really worthwhile modern art out there, because there is.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2008 9:49:00 AM
I agree entirely.

It's about the artist and who is considered prominent in the field.

A trendy and illigitimate ideal, sure, but like Brian said - there IS a lot of good work out there. You can't be so quick to categorize something as broad as art. And again, it's unwise to speak so harshly or ignorantly to genres you simply don't appreciate or understand.
President of DDO
MewxVenus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2009 8:00:11 AM
L.M.A.O.

Seriously? Wow. Okay so these wacky artists...geez. I take no issue with modern art. Except when it ALMOST GETS PEOPLE KILLED. But to be honest, anyone can do modern art. It's really all about how you describe the art to the buyer. It's like when english teachers try to get students to interpret literature. It must be assumed that EVERYTHING has a deeper meaning.

On the signs: The artist probably gave some sort of B.S. story that it was supposed to represent "the confusion and hoplessness of humanity."

The dot: Either represented some girls period

or they said something like "It shows how small and alone we are in this great big universe"

wanna make a million bucks? go sell a blank canvas on ebay and say it's a polar bear in a snowstorm.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2009 10:51:58 AM
At 1/31/2009 8:00:11 AM, MewxVenus wrote:

It would have to be a white dot in a red background.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2009 10:50:16 PM
At 12/6/2008 12:19:17 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
In the middle of a busy road, some smarta**'s decided to erect art, with road signs. Check it out : http://img.dailymail.co.uk...
Even in a musuem someone would get run over. Who even looked at a road sign and gone 'The 45 degrees away from a stop sign would be magnificent!'

That actually looks photoshopped to me. It's hard to tell, but it looks fake. Where did you come across this photo? Is it something you saw in real life?
MewxVenus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2009 9:28:09 AM
At 1/31/2009 10:51:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Hahaha. You can get these modern artists to believe anything these days if you come up with a weird enough story
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2009 4:13:22 AM
At 2/1/2009 9:28:09 AM, MewxVenus wrote:
At 1/31/2009 10:51:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Hahaha. You can get these modern artists to believe anything these days if you come up with a weird enough story

Crazy person:Can you paint me a dot?

Artist:Why?

Crazy Person:The dot was......my father, he died last year in a terrible ink and candy stick related accident.

Artist:I totally understand

*5 seconds later*

Artist:Done!

Crazy person: Oh it's just like him, have €10 million as compensation!
MewxVenus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2009 2:30:30 PM
Omg I can seriously see that happening! I'm gonna go get rich quick!
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 3:52:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
1. That picture doesn't look like it's at a busy road. It looks like it's at a junction with a whole lot of directives otherwise, especially considering all of the cones.

2. I don't think something that one does not understand can be easily contrived by that individual unless he or she has already seen it. Most of the people who have expressed dissent in response to that photo did not appear as though he or she didn't like the theme, the appearance, or the meaning of the work; it appeared as though they didn't understand it.

That said.

In the art world, they say that dialectics are what give art meaning and value, both inwardly and outwardly. Therefore, people don't just pay for modern art pieces in and of themselves. They also pay for the artist's explanation and/or the various conversations around the work.

That piece would only be worthless if it didn't appear anywhere, such as this forum.

Furthermore, street signs in New Jersey seem quite akin to that.