Jump to topic:

martial arts

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 10:38:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
what is one of the best forms of martial arts?

Please state your pick and why. Also if you are feeling good about your pick tell why it is better than the one posted before you.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 12:14:32 PM
Hold on panda, the kid is actually asking a completely different question here. Not who takes what but which styles we rate.

Toad style is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon. When its properly used, its almost invincible.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 12:26:39 PM
Krav Maga is just bad @ss. It doesn't matter if someone is coming at you with a knife or a gun, you can disarm them quick and give them a run for their money. The Israeli feds use it :)

I also really like Aikido - you use your opponent's momentum to defeat them.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 12:28:21 PM
But typically, people don't come at you with a gun, they stand at a distant and shoot. lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 12:32:03 PM
At 2/9/2010 12:28:21 PM, OreEle wrote:
But typically, people don't come at you with a gun, they stand at a distant and shoot. lol.

Ever been mugged? They don't shoot you from far away. This is for situations where the peson is within a few feet of you, not sniping you from afar :p
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 12:50:45 PM
At 2/9/2010 12:32:03 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 2/9/2010 12:28:21 PM, OreEle wrote:

Ever been mugged? They don't shoot you from far away. This is for situations where the peson is within a few feet of you, not sniping you from afar :p

I've been mugged twice (once successfully and once unsuccessfully). The one time that it "worked" there were two people, one who stood at a distance (about 15 feet) with the gun, and the other one came to get the money. The other one I beat the crap out of (probably a bit of an exaggeration, I punched him once, he freaked out and ran away) probably some high school kid.

But even so, no technique, no matter how perfectly you execute it on your end, is going to offer 100% protection from any weapon. That highly depends on your "opponent's" ability and reaction time and how well they are paying attention.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 12:55:24 PM
At 2/9/2010 12:50:45 PM, OreEle wrote:

But even so, no technique, no matter how perfectly you execute it on your end, is going to offer 100% protection from any weapon. That highly depends on your "opponent's" ability and reaction time and how well they are paying attention.

And Krav maga tries to give you the best way to go about it to maximize your chances.

Turn your body sideways as you swing your arm to the gun so you provide less of a target.

It's not 100%, but with regular practice I'd imagine it's a lot better than scrambling and getting shot.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 12:56:44 PM
Though, granted, if you're just being mugged your best bets to just give'em lots of money
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 1:16:07 PM
At 2/9/2010 12:55:24 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/9/2010 12:50:45 PM, OreEle wrote:

And Krav maga tries to give you the best way to go about it to maximize your chances.

Turn your body sideways as you swing your arm to the gun so you provide less of a target.

It's not 100%, but with regular practice I'd imagine it's a lot better than scrambling and getting shot.

That's true, there are alot of things that can be done to improve your chances. Though, in all reality, practicing and preforming on the spot in an actual mugging are very different.

And also, most muggers aren't looking to add murder to their list and so are naturally gonna be hesitant to even pull the trigger (might even still have to safety on or even not loaded).

But I just don't keep cash on me, or if I do, I keep the larges amounts in my pocket and only some small bills in my wallet, so I can empty my wallet for them, and hopefully not lose all the money.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 2:20:49 PM
Here's another Aikido (gets my vote too) vid which deals with more weapon scenarios.

I also have a soft spot for Southern Praying Mantis style.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 4:28:01 PM
IMO, martial "arts" that are the "best" are the military hand to hand ones like Krav Maga, Kapap, Systema, SAS fighting, Green Berets, etc. And Jeet Kune Do (which isn't really a fixed style per se as it's meant to be flexible, plus, it was developed by the man himself - Bruce Lee).
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 10:28:29 AM
At 2/9/2010 12:14:32 PM, feverish wrote:
Hold on panda, the kid is actually asking a completely different question here. Not who takes what but which styles we rate.

here is a basic template

the style-
basic description-
why it is better than the previously posted style-
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 7:35:59 PM
Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo.

Seriously, if you want to learn to fight or defend yourself you need to learn an art that incorporates alive, resistive training or you are just wasting your time and deluding yourself. The only way to learn to fight is to train hard and spar. Doing thousands of forms, patterns, kata etc will not help you in any way, shape or form.

Aikido, kung fu (unless its sanshou/sanda), karate (except kyokushin etc) are only going to get you your butt kicked when someone actually tries to hurt you.