Jump to topic:

Meta-thinking

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 1:22:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This has been happening to me lately, and because I know there are some writers on here, I was wondering if this has been happening to you, too...

My Spanish teacher was obviously unnerved. She paced the room in quick small steps. She was talking slower than normal. Then, her cell phone rang. She apologized to us, telling us that it was very important, and left the room.

Five minutes after returning and midway through her lesson, she broke down in tears. Her dad was dying. She kept on apologizing to us. Most of the students felt awkward. A few outwardly sympathized with her. But all I could do was think, "Damn, this would make for a kick @ss short story. In fact, if I change this event, and exaggerate this part, oh, and there could be a plot twist here...this is genius."

Now in reflection, I obviously feel terrible for my initial reaction, but at the time of the incident, it was genuinely all I could think about.

Then, there was this morning. I awoke to the bleeping beep of my alarm clock as it pounded my forehead with every beating pulse thereafter. I woke again ten minutes latter, and put on my uniform. I picked up my trumpet, and played a scale to test my chops. My mom dropped me off at the street corner half an hour later.

Mere seconds after we entered the parade, the rain started, and by the end we were completely drenched. But all throughout the parade, as the rain came down on us harder and harder, all I could think about was writing about the experience. I mean, think about it. There is so much metaphor and symbolism you could use for such an event: the rain, our band, the car ride to the parade, my friends, the parade itself. I thought about writing about the commodore we had within the band, how we stuck it out throughout the entire parade, just braving the weather, never raising a word. We were a team. No words need be said.

Is this happening to anyone else, where you're starting to experience your life through your writing? I have, and it's starting to creep me the frick out.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 2:03:00 PM
Often times I narrate my actions as if I would write them in a novel, or insert my actions into a scenario of a randomly chosen novel on random subject.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 3:42:09 PM
At 2/27/2010 1:22:21 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Is this happening to anyone else, where you're starting to experience your life through your writing? I have, and it's starting to creep me the frick out.

Nope. I am not creative.

I like to read and analyze good writing, and I'm good at interpreting literature and writing about that... but I can't write engaging stories or anything for my life.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 3:46:31 PM
I like to read, and I could write a book on a political or historical issue if I had the time, but I hate creative writing.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 8:29:46 AM
I have a passion for film and used to be really into it, so I would have the same type of reaction or thought process except regarding movies. I'd think of a good way to write a script about it and then film it to make it really creative and/or profound or comical or sexual or whatever it is I was trying to convey. However, I've been much less creative these past few years. The real world got in the way. I respect your love of writing though and think you should just keep at it and always write down your ideas. You'll only hone your skill and eventually one of your works will probably get recognized even if it's just a personal distinction of being something really great.
President of DDO