Jump to topic:

Need tips for writing a fanfic.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:12:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I suck at writing, but would enjoy A limited series, fanfic. What advise does everyone who has done a fanfic here have?
Windwalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:00:22 AM
At 7/27/2014 9:12:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
I suck at writing, but would enjoy A limited series, fanfic. What advise does everyone who has done a fanfic here have?

Well, I can't say that I have done an actual fanfic, but I am a writer (three novel-size stories finished, two of which are fully edited- whoohoo!) and I might have some decent advice. First of all, what do you love about the franchise so much? In a nutshell, what inspires your fanfic? That may sound broad and subjective, but if you really study the source material you will begin to see things as detailed as specific words that are often used, and as sweeping as the prevailing tone and the atmosphere/setting's general structure. Take the things that are specific to this franchise that you love, and include them as faithfully as possible.

Most important of all are the characters. Study them hard, and ask yourself questions about what X would say if A said that; or what X would do first after the apocalypse. If you can't answer questions like that quickly and confidently, you don't know your characters well enough to write about them. But once you do understand the characters, they will "refuse" to do things that are out of character and will help guide the story.

Finally, neverevereverever re-use plot points from the source material! That makes the fanfic insufferably boring for you and your reader. Instead, confront the characters with a new and surprising situation (personally, I like having good guys go bad in spectacular ways at very inconvenient moments; or sometimes I have a good guy get horrifically defeated at an unexpected time). Play with the characters, push them to their limits and beyond, and do use your plotting to create shock.

Whew. Okay, that's a bit of a rant. I hope that some of that will be helpful!
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Cowardice is not the opposite of courage: conformity is. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
-Ephesians 4:29
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:04:52 AM
My problem would more be in not making the writing sound like crap.

Example story:

Batman beats up Robin. The end

How do I make that story good?
Windwalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:23:55 AM
At 7/29/2014 1:04:52 AM, Wylted wrote:

Example story:

If you're worried about the actual process of stringing words together so that they sound good, I have simple advice: don't. You'll end up trying to be poetic and sounding stuffy and affected. You have a unique way of saying things and it will show through.

It might be good to write in first person or as a narrator- in any case, just as someone speaking directly to the reader, telling their story in plain language. You're a good debater because you understand how to make a point with your words. Use that talent, but adapt it to be a bit subtler. Your point is to expose the feelings and motivations of your characters in a given situation, with as little artifice as possible.

Another important tip is; know the dramatic structure. That sounds complex, but it's a very simple and insanely useful tool. It will focus your writing and keep it purposeful. Using your example- it must take a lot of provocation and conflict for Batman to snap and beat Robin up. Describe from Batman's point of view the provocation. The point that you're trying to make is that Robin is pushing the limit. At the same time, hint that Batman has a fondness for Robin and holds himself back because he cares about his sidekick. Build tension with little incidents, have one big incident where Robin disappoints Batman but Batman refuses to fight with him. That's the first act in your story- the beginning, the build-up to the first big event (anticlimax). Show the unpleasant fallout from the choice not to fight Robin (ex. an innocent person dies cause' Robin was stupid) and build the tension again until Batman feels he has to confront Robin in one great showdown. That's your second act- fallout, build-up, climax.
You can vary that some- I did one story that had a structure of: immediate catastrophe, fallout, build-up, anticlimax, fallout, build-up, false climax, climax. Play with it, but know what your structure's gonna be. In the end, your overall writing will be a lot more coherent if you have a general structures.
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Cowardice is not the opposite of courage: conformity is. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
-Ephesians 4:29
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:28:57 AM
At 7/29/2014 1:23:55 AM, Windwalker wrote:
At 7/29/2014 1:04:52 AM, Wylted wrote:

Example story:

If you're worried about the actual process of stringing words together so that they sound good, I have simple advice: don't. You'll end up trying to be poetic and sounding stuffy and affected. You have a unique way of saying things and it will show through.

It might be good to write in first person or as a narrator- in any case, just as someone speaking directly to the reader, telling their story in plain language. You're a good debater because you understand how to make a point with your words. Use that talent, but adapt it to be a bit subtler. Your point is to expose the feelings and motivations of your characters in a given situation, with as little artifice as possible.

Another important tip is; know the dramatic structure. That sounds complex, but it's a very simple and insanely useful tool. It will focus your writing and keep it purposeful. Using your example- it must take a lot of provocation and conflict for Batman to snap and beat Robin up. Describe from Batman's point of view the provocation. The point that you're trying to make is that Robin is pushing the limit. At the same time, hint that Batman has a fondness for Robin and holds himself back because he cares about his sidekick. Build tension with little incidents, have one big incident where Robin disappoints Batman but Batman refuses to fight with him. That's the first act in your story- the beginning, the build-up to the first big event (anticlimax). Show the unpleasant fallout from the choice not to fight Robin (ex. an innocent person dies cause' Robin was stupid) and build the tension again until Batman feels he has to confront Robin in one great showdown. That's your second act- fallout, build-up, climax.
You can vary that some- I did one story that had a structure of: immediate catastrophe, fallout, build-up, anticlimax, fallout, build-up, false climax, climax. Play with it, but know what your structure's gonna be. In the end, your overall writing will be a lot more coherent if you have a general structures.

thanks, very helpful.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:32:43 AM

Add me in it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:35:28 AM
At 7/29/2014 1:32:43 AM, XLAV wrote:

Add me in it.

Okay, We'll buddy in the fan fic also. Do you want to be male or female or both.

Right now I'm only considering it.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:39:44 AM
At 7/29/2014 1:35:28 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/29/2014 1:32:43 AM, XLAV wrote:

Add me in it.

Okay, We'll buddy in the fan fic also. Do you want to be male or female or both.

Right now I'm only considering it.

Both would be nice.