Jump to topic:

Rap: style over substance?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 12:23:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What do you think is more important: substance over style or style over substance?

Even though on DDO, i'ma lyrical rapper and appreciate really artistic and creative lyrics, in real life, i'd rather pick style over substance for the following reasons:

1) Rappers like Kendrick Lamar which i consider a lyrical rapper have sick lyrics, but i noticed there's just something missing in their flow. Kendrick's flow is just not solid for the most part, so if there's something lyrically important, i miss it cuz he doesn't emphasize it enough.

2) You can say plenty of words, but it doesn't matter what you say, it's how you say it. I know it's not possible to have too much style and substance at once, but i think it's better to say few words with power than to say plenty without emphasis.

3) Style is what defines a certain rapper and makes them unique. You can be lyrically talented, but if you have no solid flow with good rhythm, syllable pronunciation, etc. you sound typical.

I want your thoughts on it. Disagree? Why?
lefillegal1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 1:21:29 AM
Its really a combination of both. It seems with newer rappers its one or the other,but with older rap its not as prevalent. Pac, Biggie ,Nas etc to many to name.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 3:51:04 AM
At 7/31/2014 12:23:55 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
1) Rappers like Kendrick Lamar which i consider a lyrical rapper have sick lyrics, but i noticed there's just something missing in their flow. Kendrick's flow is just not solid for the most part, so if there's something lyrically important, i miss it cuz he doesn't emphasize it enough.

Not sure where you're coming from here.. Kendick IMO has one of the most diverse and emotional delivery / flow of any rapper.

2) You can say plenty of words, but it doesn't matter what you say, it's how you say it. I know it's not possible to have too much style and substance at once, but i think it's better to say few words with power than to say plenty without emphasis.

3) Style is what defines a certain rapper and makes them unique. You can be lyrically talented, but if you have no solid flow with good rhythm, syllable pronunciation, etc. you sound typical.

I agree for the most part - it needs a balance of both. I would probably listen to rap with interesting delivery over something with boring delivery but complex lyrics.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 10:46:07 AM
At 7/31/2014 3:51:04 AM, sdavio wrote:

Not sure where you're coming from here.. Kendick IMO has one of the most diverse and emotional delivery / flow of any rapper.

I agree for the most part - it needs a balance of both. I would probably listen to rap with interesting delivery over something with boring delivery but complex lyrics.

I'm not saying Kendrick completely sucks, but his flow sometimes lags in his songs (like he pauses for apparently no reason then keeps going). What makes other rappers better despite trashy lyrics is they put more emphasis so their message is delivered effectively and consistently.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 6:10:46 PM
At 7/31/2014 1:21:29 AM, lefillegal1 wrote:
Its really a combination of both. It seems with newer rappers its one or the other,but with older rap its not as prevalent. Pac, Biggie ,Nas etc to many to name.

Very true, but i mean in real life, your going to need to restrict your syllables evenly unless you have a ton of breath to sound good and on beat. Especially because rap is evolving, i think style should be preferred over substance while still keeping it lyrical.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 6:13:47 PM
Bitch, kendrick lamar is a G rapper. I can't get his songs out of my head.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 6:15:21 PM
At 8/1/2014 6:13:47 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Bitch, kendrick lamar is a G rapper. I can't get his songs out of my head.

lol he sucks man, especially this song ahaha
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 6:16:18 PM
At 8/1/2014 6:15:21 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
You suck beotch!
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 6:19:35 PM
At 8/1/2014 6:16:18 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
You suck beotch!

lol ok, but he repeats the same flow again and again and he's like "god-d&*(m i got b---" then it repeats like a broken tape recorder, it just doesn't sound that great lol. I like "swimming pools" though.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 6:21:35 PM
At 8/1/2014 6:19:35 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
You suck beotch!

lol ok, but he repeats the same flow again and again and he's like "god-d&*(m i got b---" then it repeats like a broken tape recorder, it just doesn't sound that great lol. I like "swimming pools" though.
I'll compromise with you, The main verse is solid though

All my life I want money and power
Respect my mind or die from lead shower
I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel Tower
So I can fvck the world for seventy-two hours
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 6:39:31 PM
At 8/1/2014 6:21:35 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 8/1/2014 6:19:35 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
You suck beotch!

I'll compromise with you, The main verse is solid though

All my life I want money and power
Respect my mind or die from lead shower
I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel Tower
So I can fvck the world for seventy-two hours

lol typical "hustler" rapper talk. What "gangsta" rapper hasn't wanted money and power? Rick Ross wants money and power, Young Jeezy wants money and power, Meek Mills, etc. Respect my mind or die from lead shower? Yea i heard that plenty of times before. You pray your penis gets as big as the Eiffel Tower? Typical behavior, lol, it's not the size that counts. The last line sounds cliche to me, (Wayne used it and a few others)