Music is an art ?

Vision13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2014 5:48:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, music is an art ?

I would say yes and no because it gives feelings, however it cannot express the opinion of it author about a subject while the other "arts" are abstract but can express the opinion about a subject. The music seems abstract and imperceptible, without words, it does not make appear in us images of the lived.
JasonMartin-327
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2014 2:04:04 PM
Umm...yes...it most definitely is. And yes, instrumental pieces are quite abstractly entrancing, however very few pieces with lyrics are art...

For instance, this piece here:
https://www.youtube.com...
...has powerful music and lyrics, therefore is art. Now I'm not saying just powerful stuff is art, no no no, a lot of stuff like this but not exactly like this would be considered art.

I honestly don't know what I'm saying at the moment, but I can confirm one thing: Aviators is an ARTIST!!!
Words are powerful. Ideas are immortal. Thoughts are everlasting. There will always be those who will destroy and oppress, but our words will live on.

-- Aviators on "Bulletproof"
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 12:47:38 AM
Yes, because it conveys what's on the creator's mind
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
gryephon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 9:27:11 PM
Technically yes under the assumption that you operate under a common dictionary. Though in some contexts "art" is used to refer to the visual arts specifically and not of the musical branch of it.

Musicians (atleast all the ones I knew as a pianist) don't usually use the word art to describe their pieces... For example they don't normally say "Hey, wanna see my artwork?" in reference to their musical compositions and such. Which is why context does matter.
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 5:28:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oxford Dictionaries' definition of art:
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power

Oxford Dictionaries' definition of music:
Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion

Notice how the definition for art says art is only typically visual, not always visual. Art is defined as a human creative creation conveying emotion and/or beauty. Music is made by humans, most of the times, is creative for it is made with one's imagination, and conveys beauty or emotion, therefore, music is an art.
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 12:28:04 PM
At 9/6/2014 5:48:26 AM, Vision13 wrote:
So, music is an art ?

I would say yes and no because it gives feelings, however it cannot express the opinion of it author about a subject while the other "arts" are abstract but can express the opinion about a subject. The music seems abstract and imperceptible, without words, it does not make appear in us images of the lived.

Hummm... If it can express feelings, it can also express opinions. Clearly it can not express something with great accuracy like ie a book, but it can perfectly match a painting in my opinion.
gman223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 6:48:20 PM
It all comes down by what you mean by art. In the oxford dictionary example both definitions of music and art are very similar in that they both convey the feelings of the creator. Art has different branches. Some consist of musical and vocal subjects and some consist of visual things. So yes SOME music can be defined as a branch of art.
Pythasis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 10:59:44 PM
Absolutely! I've always considered it such. In fact, I didn't even know this was something to be debated. It's always been a performing art and I don't think I've ever heard it not called one. It is a result of human action to creative endeavors and pulls at our emotions, therefore it is an art.
-Liam
"Love the art in yourself, not yourself in art" -Constantine Stanislavsky
"Knowledge, without imagination, is just a list of ingredients - and a list of ingredients does not a cookie make." -Danny Grozdich
www.youtube.com/MusiruneProductions
Debates that need voting:
N/A
martinandkyoraku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 3:36:06 AM
So, music is an art ?

In my opinion music is an art like paint or write or poethry, because it shows the ideas and the feelings from someone through the beauty.
CCE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:14:24 PM
At 9/6/2014 2:04:04 PM, JasonMartin-327 wrote:
Umm...yes...it most definitely is. And yes, instrumental pieces are quite abstractly entrancing, however very few pieces with lyrics are art...

...has powerful music and lyrics, therefore is art. Now I'm not saying just powerful stuff is art, no no no, a lot of stuff like this but not exactly like this would be considered art.

I honestly don't know what I'm saying at the moment, but I can confirm one thing: Aviators is an ARTIST!!!

Very few?
Bach, Allegri, Vivaldi, Schnittke, Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, Tallis, Purcell, Byrd, Handel, Donizetti, Wagner, Britten, Shostakovich, Berg... They all wrote art music with lyrics.

And that's just sixteen. I could give more examples.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 3:26:11 PM
As a musician I think that music is definitely an art form.

Although, as a lowly drummer--and one in a metal band, no less, I never have the ego to refer to myself as an artist. LOL.

One of the first things I recall learning in Art Appreciation back in school was that art is, at the end of the day, a language. It conveys and communicates the artists' ideas and thoughts to the viewer. Or in the case of music, the listener.

How anybody could ever listen to Mozart or Miles Davis or Charlie Parker or a Jimi Hendrix or Joe Satriani guitar solo and say it is not art is beyond me.

Oh...or a Neil Peart or Buddy Rich drum solo--I feel compelled to add a drummer to the list!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
JohntheRecorderPlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 12:33:59 PM
So, music is an art ?

I don't believe there is any question that music is art. Not only the classical genre but blues, jazz, rock, R&B, folk, opera, and every other genre.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 11:40:15 PM
At 4/9/2015 10:14:24 PM, CCE wrote:
At 9/6/2014 2:04:04 PM, JasonMartin-327 wrote:

Very few?
Bach, Allegri, Vivaldi, Schnittke, Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, Tallis, Purcell, Byrd, Handel, Donizetti, Wagner, Britten, Shostakovich, Berg... They all wrote art music with lyrics.

And that's just sixteen. I could give more examples.

And Schubert, Schumann, Faure, Ravel, Massenet, Debussy, Liszt...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 4:28:38 PM
Take a lesson from Marcel Duchamp's "ready mades", everything is art, inclusive of actions and perceptions.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 12:36:10 PM
There are arguments I have heard for and against this. Some arguments for this have been said on here, I didn't really read all of these just a couple so I don't know what people said towards the end of this forum. Some opposition for this is that you learn music, it's like math. You memorize the notes and you play the notes in a nice way and you have created music. Now the argument is if that is art or not. Learning notes and playing them well. I am a flautist so for me it would be just blowing through the hole and touching the right key at the right time. Memorize a ton of those notes and I can play a song. When you put it more towards a memorize and touch the right key way then it starts to not sound like music and more of a math test. You guys should know I am playing devil's advocate so don't get too personal about what I have said.
Hello everybody having a good day? I just wanted to let you know that there is a new type of game called "What would you do?" where I post scenarios and you put down what you would do. To get in on this go to http://www.debate.org... , read the rules, and put in your answer!

I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just here so I can gain more knowledge about the world and feed my mind knowledge that you can't really get as much as you wish you could in life. -CM
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 5:41:19 PM
Of course it is. Google definitions:

Art: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Music: vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

The definition of art says it requires skill, imagination, beauty, and emotion. Skill is in music because you need to know how to sing or play an instrument and know all the terms that come with it (crescendo, forte, allegro, etc.)

Imagination is in music because the musician can create it into whatever they want through their imagination.

Beauty is in music because the way you construct notes and vocals can be deemed eloquent/beautiful. I mean look, its even in the definition.

Emotion is essential in music. Musicians either pour energy into their playing or through their lyrics. There's even a whole music genre based on emotion. (emo).

Music lives up to the definition of art. Not only does it fit all the requirements, music also includes harmony.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 1:19:54 PM
So, music is an art ?

Music is Art.

While Music doesn't have words, neither does Painting or sculpture.

The composer can communicate through the music. There is a sense and an ambiance created when playing Bach in comparison to that which is created playing Avenged Sevenfold.

In this respect it has every place as a painting or a poem to be considered art.

But I would also refrain from even describing Art as you did. I don't think art is predicated on the artist sending a message. There is art made for commercial reasons but not even touching on that I'll relay a great lesson I learned from my Art teacher.

You make art, but you have no control over how other's will receive it. Paint a picture, compose a song. Write a poem, as soon as you depart from factual physically descriptive words to communicate you step in a realm where the receiver of the message may interpret or "read into it" more than you intend or hope for.

I think some Artist produce work not to send a message but to watch the reception.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 11:05:07 AM
So, music is an art ?

Definitely since it arouses deep emotions, often too deep for words. It is communication without words.
Lovetheworld4real
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 10:22:35 PM
Yes, music is very much an art. There are five senses and five art types. Art of sight, art of feel, art of hearing, art of taste and art of smell. Music is heard and is performed and displayed at concerts. It requires practice and the use of a specially constructed instrument. There is several kinds of art put into music. The instrument is an art of touch while the actual playing is an art of its own.
Live Love Laugh
cludwig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:31:33 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
As a professional classical composer (art music), I believe I can add some perspective to this question. I consider myself first a "Composer" and not an "Artist". Nevertheless, I refer to what I create as being "my art" and "art" now and then. Certainly creating a beautiful piece of music requires a high degree of artistry and craft. To answer the question, composing "art music" is art. I do not, however, consider all music to be art. For example, I do not consider most "songwriting" to be art. The term art and artist is thrown around far to loosely these days. The division can be easily drawn by separating the potential artistic object into either the vernacular or high art (secular/sacred) categories. In other words - most popular music is vernacular and therefore not art. Some commercial music could and does escape the vernacular category and enter the art category, but this is the minority. Keep in mind, that vernacular and secular music are also different in many ways.
thatswangirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:18:55 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Music is most defiantly a form of art. For me it expresses more emotion and even more opinions than a painting or a sculpture. Every melody has its own story and its own set of opinions. Take Beethoven"s moonlight sonata, it is a very powerful and emotional piece, and you can feel the opinions and emotions he had put into this piece. As someone has mentioned before, you cannot have something emotional without having something opinionated, and music defiantly has both. Music is a form of art, and for me it is the most powerful part of it.
greve
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:21:12 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
So, music is an art ?

Music is obviously art. You're being creative and thats what art is about. Art is about expressing yourself and music is a very effective way of doing that.