Jump to topic:

How art is valued in Society.

TheLovelylou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 12:46:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am currently trying to prove my art teacher wrong. For some reason she has a very narrow range of opinions, such as "society as a whole share a general opinion on art" which I find to be very wrong by personal opinion. So I've got some questions for those who would not mind answering
1. How would you describe art?
2. What do you think of when you hear art?
3. How important is art to you in your everyday life?
4. How high would you say art ranks in importance in everyday life?
5. What is the importance of art to society as a whole?
You can answer all or just a couple of the questions, thanks guys!
masha-nv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 8:10:26 PM
At 9/17/2014 12:46:41 PM, TheLovelylou wrote:
I am currently trying to prove my art teacher wrong. For some reason she has a very narrow range of opinions, such as "society as a whole share a general opinion on art" which I find to be very wrong by personal opinion. So I've got some questions for those who would not mind answering

Hi there!

I am not sure what your teacher really means by - society in whole shares a general opinion about art - if that means that a representative sample of the society has shared their opinions about art and then the total got divided by a number of the participants of this representative sample group - then may be, and I, as an artist, would love to hear what does the society really thinks about art. So let me know what your teacher has to say about that :)

for me art is a mastery of seeing and representing the world around us, not necessarily the beauty, but anything that touches an artist. If it is done with mastery and talent then even a horrible picture (if talking about visual art), like a scene of war or something can be beautiful in its way.

When I hear word art, I think of my fav painters, which are Matisse, Monet, Klimt ...

how important is art to myself - Very important, but I wish I had more of it around myself, like more paintings on the walls, more books in my library (if I had one:P), more museums, statues etc on the streets.

How high art ranks in importance... i think depends on the society, if it is a third world country where there is no space to think of art, but just the first level needs (food, shelter) - then not high at all; in USA - moderately I think, but also depends on region - in NY C definitely higher than in Atlanta, GA; in europe higher, like in Rome, Italy - people just breathe art - literally!

Importance of art to society - see above.

Hope that helps!
Masha Bagrova
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 12:59:12 AM

A means of expressing oneself or an idea in non-concrete terms. Saying "I am sad" is not art, because it is a concrete description of how you feel, but if you write a poem, make a sculpture, or take a picture that conveys or captures your sadness--that is art.

Paintings. Sculptures. Books. Songs.

Pretty important--art gives life its vivacity.

7 (w/ 10 being the high score).

9 (w/ 10 being the high score).
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:31:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago

Hello, thanks for creating this forum. These are my answers:

1) Something created with imagination and skill which most of the time expresses feelings and ideas.

2) When I think of art, I think of colours, emotion, beauty, thought and language in a sort of way.

3) In my everyday life, art isn't that important to me personally.

4) Things that make art important include:
- They are languages that all people speak that cut across racial, cultural, social, educational, and economic barriers and enhance cultural appreciation and awareness.
- They integrate mind, body, and spirit.
- They provide opportunities for self-expression, bringing the inner world into the outer world of concrete reality.
- They develop both independence and collaboration.
- They merge the learning of process and content.
- They exercise and develop higher order thinking skills including analysis, synthesis, evaluation, and "problem-finding."

In everyday life, I supposed it depends on the person, how high it would rank. I personally, wouldn't say that it would rank overly high for me.

5) Since prehistory, mankind has always attempted to express himself and art has given him the possibility to do so. Some quotes about the matter from different people's points of view:
"A work of art has no importance whatever to society. It is only important to the individual." - Vladimir Nabokov
"The importance of the arts to the societies in which they thrive is well documented."
- Karen Kain
"Art is such an important part of our culture" - Rosanna Arquette
Now judge for yourself.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello