Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Coming Home for Christmas (A Short Story)

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 9:18:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
After checking his bags at the counter and making his way through security, Aaron found the gate in his terminal. There were already people lining up, and first class had boarded five minutes ago. He was the fourth boarding group, and would be in the back of the plane. It was the only ticket that his parents could afford, but he would make it home for Christmas.

The flight was long and turbulent, not unlike his first semester as a junior in college. Aaron transferred schools after his sophomore year, left the in-state school he was attending then to go somewhere further away from his family. Before anything else, it was freedom he wanted. Freedom from the life he had, and his parents, and he had it now.

Ruminating on the life he left behind in his hometown kept him preoccupied as the flight attendant asked him if he wanted anything to drink. He took a sparkling water, and some pretzels. After three hours, the flight landed. He was no longer in San Fransisco, but home in Newark. He didn't come home for Thanksgiving, and this was the first time since August that he'd seen the East coast.

In so many ways, he was happy to he home, but in so many others, he already missed California. He couldn't dress the way he wanted, because he'd be labeled a f@g here. He couldn't talk about his boyfriend, because then people would know that Aaron was gay -and yet he knew that without fail his parents would ask him if he had a girlfriend. He hoped it was simply because they were clueless, but he wondered if it was just their way of reminding him that they would never want him to come out to them. Aaron had always thought that 'loving' parents who do not accept their kids for who they are are not loving parents, but sources of pain and anxiety. He couldn't help but love them anyway.

The jet pulled up to the terminal and the cabin door opened. Those people who were already standing grabbed their bags and began to make their way off. As he was sitting in the back of the plane, Aaron knew it would take a while for his chance to come, but he was ok with that because it meant that he had a little more time to himself before his parents would greet him on the other side of the security checkpoint. Several minutes passed as people cleared off, and he finally made his way out.

Aaron's mother and father stood on the other side and his mom hugged him immediately as he made his way to the other side of the security checkpoint, for at least a full minute. His father stood back, and stoically approved. Neither of his parents had changed at all, it seemed, in his absence. His mother was still small and frail looking, and his father was still tall and emotionless. They all made their way to the parking garage after collecting Aaron's bag.

More to come later.....
Tsar of DDO
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:58:52 PM
Is there a reason for the inspiration to writing this? Jut wondering.
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 3:01:01 AM
CHRISTMAS WITH MOTHER
I won"t be home for Christmas mother dear
Cos there aint no chance of getting out of here
The wall its ten foot higher
And they"ve topped it with barbed wire
So don"t expect me home at Christmas time this year

Last year it must have been the final straw
Cos there"s no where you can dig a hole no more
Plus they"ve put on extra guards
So I think I"d find it hard
To get back home for Christmas that"s for sure

And they"ve reinforced the bars around my cell
But they never reinforced them very well
Getting out of here"s a breeze
It"s that outer wall by jees
But the answer"s out there somewhere I can tell

The more I think about it mother dear
The more I think I"ll come again this year
The plan is brewing in me head
It came from some thing that I read
So you"d better stock the fridge with heaps of beer

Well a very merry Christmas mother dear
I bet you didn"t think that I"d get here
But it was easier than pie
Now it"s got me wondering why
That I haven"t done it this way every year

So lets start the celebrations with a song
Not till morning will they realize I"m gone
And they"ll know for sure I"m here
It"s where they catch me every year
Cos they know I spend each Christmas with me mum
And they"ll acknowledge that"s the best escape I"ve done.........Gentorev
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 4:27:24 AM
Aaron messed up before they even got home.

The family ducked into an old Honda, the father taking the driver's seat, the mother taking the shotgun. Aaron sat on the right passenger's side.
As they backed out of the parking space, Aaron's mother began to make her customary inquiries to which Aaron gave his customary replies. College was good. He's made good friends. No, he hasn't had any problems. No, no girlfriend. Not yet. Haha. Oh yes: got an internship over the summer that actually pays a relatively decent wage. No, it's not too far.
Yes.
Everything's fine.
No.
Yes.

He couldn't believe how easy the lie had become. He couldn't believe that he even had it in him to laugh at his mother's joking fear about the family's mistaking him for being gay. This was exactly what happened last year: he'd prepare himself to come clean to his parents about his sexuality, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. It was so easy to opt into that default hetero-normative dialogue with his parents that he ended up doing so. Every. F*cking. Time. Aaron knew that he'd just made coming out that much harder. He hated this. He hated himself. Impossibly, Aaron's heart felt like it had sunk straight into his stomach.

After his mother satisfied her list of formalities, Aaron casually reciprocated. How are you and dad? Did the neighbors cause any trouble? How's Doug? Oh, that's nice to hear, very glad for him. What's dad been doing these days?
As Aaron mindlessly fired off these questions, his thoughts dwelt restlessly on his self-loathing. His mother happily replied, gesturing energetically with her arms. His father continued to drive, silently keeping his attention trained on the road.
Aaron loved them both. His mother's initial shock was a given but, being the loving person that she was, Aaron believed that she'd slowly but surely come to accept and move past his sexuality. His father was a different case entirely.

Well that was short. Sorry (but not sorry) for hijacking the story. *-*
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 4:30:17 AM
Better sounding correction: "Impossibly, Aaron's heart sunk straight into his stomach."
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 4:32:16 AM
Should the father be a stoic and softspoken or should he have a silent temper and/or stubborn adherence to his ideas?
Should he be.. shy (lol)?
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 4:33:03 AM
At 1/13/2015 4:30:17 AM, Beginner wrote:
Better sounding correction: "Impossibly, Aaron's heart sunk straight into his stomach."

Even better: Aaron's heart sunk deeper into his stomach.
Senpai has noticed you.
redcoffe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:23:38 AM
At 1/14/2015 6:22:52 AM, redcoffe wrote:
Cos they know I spend each Christmas with me mum.

Fut coins