Jump to topic:

Why do I keep hearing this?

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:25:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I often hear people say "He/she doesn't play the piece with any emotion." This is often in the context of piano that I hear this statement.

I don't understand this. I can understand if someone not moved by a musical piece or if they don't feel much, but to state that a musician has put no feeling into their work is odd to me. Sometimes when I play the piano, I realize that I probably look expressionless, but on the inside I feel extremely into the music and very happy. How can someone know what I'm feeling? How can they determine if a pianist is simply playing mechanically, without emotion? Sometimes I wonder if people actually mean that they don't feel emotion from the music, rather than that the pianist has no emotion into the piece.

Thoughts?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:34:16 PM
At 1/7/2015 5:25:10 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
I often hear people say "He/she doesn't play the piece with any emotion." This is often in the context of piano that I hear this statement.

I don't understand this. I can understand if someone not moved by a musical piece or if they don't feel much, but to state that a musician has put no feeling into their work is odd to me. Sometimes when I play the piano, I realize that I probably look expressionless, but on the inside I feel extremely into the music and very happy. How can someone know what I'm feeling? How can they determine if a pianist is simply playing mechanically, without emotion? Sometimes I wonder if people actually mean that they don't feel emotion from the music, rather than that the pianist has no emotion into the piece.

Thoughts?

Usually, if you are in sync with the music, it'll show from the exterior as well, such as swaying a little. For instance, I tried to keep my face out of the camera view while I was trying to film myself, but my ugly head kept poking into the view. :3

However, it's even more important to show your emotion and expression without moving around so much (although I tend to do that as well XD). For example, add small crescendos, rallentandos, allargandos, and a bunch of other -dos (:P). Playing without emotion is generally when you lack your own interpretation and expression.

P.S. My former piano rival moved around like crazy, though (he must have burnt 500 calories >.>). Surprisingly, it must have worked judging from the awards he brought home from competitions. Then again, he was the same age as me and he played in much easier categories than I did. V_V
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:38:08 PM
At 1/7/2015 5:34:16 PM, RevNge wrote:
I tried to keep my face out of the camera view while I was trying to film myself, but my ugly head kept poking into the view. :3
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:43:03 PM

Thoughts?

Someone who makes a mistake is also often disqualified (I'm a sad noob. ):).

Also, it's really hard to play or learn a piece if you don't feel it. I can attest to failing to master many pieces (i.e. Golliwog's Cakewalk) simply because I couldn't feel them.
Senpai has noticed you.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:39:38 PM
At 1/7/2015 5:34:16 PM, RevNge wrote:

Thoughts?

Usually, if you are in sync with the music, it'll show from the exterior as well, such as swaying a little. For instance, I tried to keep my face out of the camera view while I was trying to film myself, but my ugly head kept poking into the view. :3

However, it's even more important to show your emotion and expression without moving around so much (although I tend to do that as well XD). For example, add small crescendos, rallentandos, allargandos, and a bunch of other -dos (:P). Playing without emotion is generally when you lack your own interpretation and expression.

P.S. My former piano rival moved around like crazy, though (he must have burnt 500 calories >.>). Surprisingly, it must have worked judging from the awards he brought home from competitions. Then again, he was the same age as me and he played in much easier categories than I did. V_V

Yeah, moving around is a sign of enjoying the piece, but it's important to follow how the piece is supposed to be played with dynamics and such (unless you're playing for enjoyment or interpreting a piece in your own way, which is a different matter entirely).

I also start moving around sometimes, moving my head, etc., but it's not very excessive.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:45:07 PM
At 1/7/2015 5:43:03 PM, Beginner wrote:

Thoughts?

Someone who makes a mistake is also often disqualified (I'm a sad noob. ):).

Also, it's really hard to play or learn a piece if you don't feel it. I can attest to failing to master many pieces (i.e. Golliwog's Cakewalk) simply because I couldn't feel them.

Yeah, I guess it's hard to learn a piece if you don't enjoy it, because then you lack motivation.

At the same time, however, I don't think people should be making judgement calls on whether you feel anything while playing a piece or not. How a person feels internally can only be felt by that person. I think they can tell if you put enough emotion into a piece so others can feel it, but not the former.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:57:09 PM

Thoughts?

Dude I know what you mean. sometimes when I am writing the most beautiful code I ever could, my heart is like rushing but my expression is glazed red eyes, mouth breathing and drooling.

If you were looking at me instead of the work of art, you would think I was typing out gibberish.