Jump to topic:

Story idea

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 10:27:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So i put this up a few days ago, but its got ZERO attention. So i'm reposting it here.

So I just came up with a crazy idea for a story and I wanted to see what you guys think.
Before you read this, please be aware i just came up with this in like 5 minutes so there will be lots of plot holes.

So basically there's a kid. And one day he's outside and a spaceship comes out of nowhere, crashes and kills a lot of people. He grows up and gets involved in the military. Eventually he finds out it was a ship from the future. He is then sent back in time (by a group of scientists) to stop the ship from killing all those people. But it goes wrong and he becomes the guy piloting the ship that crashes. He survives and realizes what happens. He tries to fix this by becoming one of the scientists on the team that sent him back in time in the first place in order to try and stop it.

So essentially one character plays the protagonist, antagonist and a supporting character all in the same story.
Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 3:10:40 AM
At 3/10/2015 10:27:48 PM, Rubikx wrote:
So i put this up a few days ago, but its got ZERO attention. So i'm reposting it here.

So I just came up with a crazy idea for a story and I wanted to see what you guys think.
Before you read this, please be aware i just came up with this in like 5 minutes so there will be lots of plot holes.

So basically there's a kid. And one day he's outside and a spaceship comes out of nowhere, crashes and kills a lot of people. He grows up and gets involved in the military. Eventually he finds out it was a ship from the future. He is then sent back in time (by a group of scientists) to stop the ship from killing all those people. But it goes wrong and he becomes the guy piloting the ship that crashes. He survives and realizes what happens. He tries to fix this by becoming one of the scientists on the team that sent him back in time in the first place in order to try and stop it.

So essentially one character plays the protagonist, antagonist and a supporting character all in the same story.

Other than the fact that the situation is impossible; it is impossible physically- it could play out in a sense a person's life story. We can all think of the man we might become and consider how he might advise us, and condemn us; and we are all the person we once were, as a child who always remains safe inside the adult. So; in a sense, life is time travel. And we are hardly divorced from the person that was or the person we hope or fear to become; but as a story, mine is boring and all too predictable; but if you could actually put past person, future person and present person all in the same room and environment and deal with their effect on reality which is so far different from most of our experiences of being effected by reality then, I think the whole concept would seem interesting to many more people..
As a story it has some flaws; primarily how impossible it is; The most majoristic flaw of them all is time; and that is how to set the scene, tell enough of the story through action and dialogue to get people interested and then show them the rest acted out. If you multiply the main character by three, you do not make the job of telling his story three times easier. I personally think narration is sham. I do not like movies with narration, especially when the narrator dies, which is a cheap trick. If he died; who are we hearing from. You see; It is always a problem to get people to surrender their sense of reality and accept the fictional sense of reality which distorts time and perception. That task becomes so much more difficult if you are trying to give a real moral lession when it is all built upon fabrication. As one judge of things real said: There are no imaginary cases. You must be able to argue upon realities. Skip the space ship. It is unnecessary to the story. The future if trasnsposed upon the past could cause enough drama without physical bodies colliding.
Meant to get back with you sooner.... Sorry.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 9:17:22 AM
At 3/15/2015 3:10:40 AM, Fido wrote:

Other than the fact that the situation is impossible; it is impossible physically- it could play out in a sense a person's life story. We can all think of the man we might become and consider how he might advise us, and condemn us; and we are all the person we once were, as a child who always remains safe inside the adult. So; in a sense, life is time travel. And we are hardly divorced from the person that was or the person we hope or fear to become; but as a story, mine is boring and all too predictable; but if you could actually put past person, future person and present person all in the same room and environment and deal with their effect on reality which is so far different from most of our experiences of being effected by reality then, I think the whole concept would seem interesting to many more people..
As a story it has some flaws; primarily how impossible it is; The most majoristic flaw of them all is time; and that is how to set the scene, tell enough of the story through action and dialogue to get people interested and then show them the rest acted out. If you multiply the main character by three, you do not make the job of telling his story three times easier. I personally think narration is sham. I do not like movies with narration, especially when the narrator dies, which is a cheap trick. If he died; who are we hearing from. You see; It is always a problem to get people to surrender their sense of reality and accept the fictional sense of reality which distorts time and perception. That task becomes so much more difficult if you are trying to give a real moral lession when it is all built upon fabrication. As one judge of things real said: There are no imaginary cases. You must be able to argue upon realities. Skip the space ship. It is unnecessary to the story. The future if trasnsposed upon the past could cause enough drama without physical bodies colliding.
Meant to get back with you sooner.... Sorry.

Thankyou
I think part of the point is that it is impossible. Its science fiction. The space ship is just the time machine. Its like if McFly crashed the DeLorean. Its what the main character used to travel back in time. But Thankyou i've been waiting for a long time for someone to give me feed back.
Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 11:13:31 AM
I think the worst thing about science is that it has too little science and too much fiction; and in spite of the power creatively to paint humanity in any possible fashion, humanity is always painted as it is. Do you believe we will attain this possible future if we do not fashion a new humanity to move into it? We put people 2000 years into the future, and they are the same old humanity struggling with the same old morality that no one ever regards until it is too late.. The whole story of our present as opposed to our past is that we have more power; and what do people do with it besides piss it away as soon as they can get their hands on it. Really; we can do no better? Humanity has not changed. Technology has changed and we are no less brutes.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 5:52:57 PM

It sound's pretty cool. Not exactly for a book, but a cool plot for a movie.
Vafara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 6:14:01 PM

You should consider writing short stories for some sci fi sights to start...unless you are a writer already.

I think this is a fine premise. You see many stories/movies were a character repeatedly tries to fix something in the past.

I can see this story and the main character that tries varies avenues to divert a major catastrophe in the past....but you need a twist in the ending. Let say he finally realizes that HE is always the reason this particular catastrophe happens. He then knows that the only way to divert this is that if he is never born. So he has to go back and kill one of parents (or if you want to be less drastic...insure they never meet).
Just a thought.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 8:59:28 PM
At 3/16/2015 6:14:01 PM, Vafara wrote:

You should consider writing short stories for some sci fi sights to start...unless you are a writer already.

I think this is a fine premise. You see many stories/movies were a character repeatedly tries to fix something in the past.

I can see this story and the main character that tries varies avenues to divert a major catastrophe in the past....but you need a twist in the ending. Let say he finally realizes that HE is always the reason this particular catastrophe happens. He then knows that the only way to divert this is that if he is never born. So he has to go back and kill one of parents (or if you want to be less drastic...insure they never meet).
Just a thought.

I thought when he becomes the scientist to stop it he sabotages the ship and its those sabotages are what cause the ship to crash in the first place.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 9:00:38 PM
At 3/16/2015 8:59:28 PM, Rubikx wrote:
At 3/16/2015 6:14:01 PM, Vafara wrote:

Just a thought.

I thought when he becomes the scientist to stop it he sabotages the ship and its those sabotages are what cause the ship to crash in the first place.

I don't have much writing experience btw.
Vafara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 2:44:17 PM
I don't have much writing experience btw.

Then start with a short story. Here is a link to the top sci fi mags. Pretty sure you can submit to some of them short stories.

Hey give it a shot!

http://www.everywritersresource.com...
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 9:44:47 PM
At 3/18/2015 5:26:28 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
Cool idea.... kinda feels like a mashup of Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy

I was thinking more back to the future and Meet the robinsons. So basically, cool time machine, lots of weird time stuff and screwing around with younger versions of yourself.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 9:49:24 PM
At 3/18/2015 9:44:47 PM, Rubikx wrote:
At 3/18/2015 5:26:28 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
Cool idea.... kinda feels like a mashup of Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy

I was thinking more back to the future and Meet the robinsons. So basically, cool time machine, lots of weird time stuff and screwing around with younger versions of yourself.

it's the trying over and over and over that reminds me of EoT
I may or may not be a cat