Jump to topic:

Greatest Contemporary Novelist

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 8:28:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am just curious to see what the opinion of people on DDO is concerning the question: Who is the greatest contemporary novelist? Another way of putting it would be: who do you think is/was the greatest novelist since, say, the 80s-90s?
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 2:57:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/21/2015 8:28:19 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:
I am just curious to see what the opinion of people on DDO is concerning the question: Who is the greatest contemporary novelist? Another way of putting it would be: who do you think is/was the greatest novelist since, say, the 80s-90s?

I think James Lee Burke is currently the greatest American novelist.

I have read all of his books. The Dave Robicheaux series is my favorites. Although I also loved the others, like "Feast Day for Fools."

Nobody can set the tone, or the atmosphere like JLB. He has a great gift for describing the beauty of nature--many of his books are set down in the New Orleans or Louisiana area. Or Montana's Big Sky country. And on the other hand he can also create some of the most fascinating;y evil and scary characters you will ever meet.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.