Any Jazz fans in the House?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:55:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Het cats...

Although weened on rock and roll, I got into Jazz several years ago and am a huge fan. I listen to it whenever I can..though it is difficult to find it on the radio anymore. usually only on KNPR or perhaps a local college station. I listen to a lot on the internet--Youtube.

(Am listening to Charlie Parker right now!)

A drummer..I began playing stand-up bass a couple years ago. I want to get into a local Jazz quartet soon.

So..any other Jazz afficianados here?

Who do ya like?

My guys....Bird; Coltrane; Miles Davis; Ornette Coleman (RIP); Charles Mingus; Thelonius Monk; Sonny Rollins; Sonny Stitt; Herbie Hancock; Weather Report.

Thanks. Post some links to songs if you want! In fact..please do.

Drew.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:19:56 PM
I'm Jazzed
I was just thumpin to Stan Getz
I'm fortunate I share my home with the world renowned Jazz station KUVO check it out at
KUVO.org they not only cover the main but also local and less renowned artist. free streaming and other apps here http://kuvo.org...
Dixieland - Big Band - Swing - Be Bop - Freedom - Lounge - Latin
I like the way they say "heroin"
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
DollarStoreSushi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 10:37:43 PM
Im a big fan of Sun Ra, Mulatu Astatke, James Chance, and Sidney Bechet. Jazz is such a broad genre, I guess thats what appeals to me about it.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:41:43 PM
At 6/16/2015 10:19:56 PM, ironslippers wrote:
I'm Jazzed
I'm fortunate I share my home with the world renowned Jazz station KUVO check it out at
KUVO.org they not only cover the main but also local and less renowned artist. free streaming and other apps here http://kuvo.org...

I love Getz!

You probably noticed a good deal of my listed favorites were Sax guys.

But yeah, in addition to Bird and Getz and Parker, I also like Sonny Stitt.

I guess I tend to listen to the Bop and hard bop guys..from the 40s-60s.

What is your take on Ornette Coleman? He just died, ya know. People seem to be wildly split on him. He is either a genius or a self-indulgent hack.

I am a believer of the former.

I have Getz's "Sweet Rain" CD and was listening to it just a couple of nights ago.

I think I also have his CD with Bill Evans.

I'm rockin' some Charles Mingus bass right now.

Thanks for the post, amigo.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:48:10 PM
At 6/16/2015 10:37:43 PM, DollarStoreSushi wrote:
Im a big fan of Sun Ra, Mulatu Astatke, James Chance, and Sidney Bechet. Jazz is such a broad genre, I guess thats what appeals to me about it.

Yes..it IS a broad genre.

I guess I tend to gravitate more toward the traditional "Bop" and "Hard Bop" guys. From the so-called Golden Age, like the 1940s to the late 60s.

But yeah, other stuff too. I like the Caribbean and Latino Jazz sometimes. Pancho Sanchez is lots of fun. And some of the newer stuff and the Fusion. Sun Ra, like you said.

Bechet was one of the great innovators back in the day. I was first turned on to him from waching that great Ken Burns 10-part PBS Documentary on Jazz that ran several years ago. (I went out and bought that box-set CD too, after I watched the series.) It really helped me learn a lot about Jazz and its origins and history. I go back to it all the time.

Thanks for your post.

BTW: do you play an instrument? I am a rock drummer by trade but a few years ago began getting into Jazz stand-up Bass. I am rockin' it to some Mingus right now.

"Haitian Fight Song" I love the bass line in that piece.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 11:08:28 PM
At 6/17/2015 9:41:43 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/16/2015 10:19:56 PM, ironslippers wrote:
I'm Jazzed

I love Getz!

You probably noticed a good deal of my listed favorites were Sax guys.

But yeah, in addition to Bird and Getz and Parker, I also like Sonny Stitt.

I guess I tend to listen to the Bop and hard bop guys..from the 40s-60s.

What is your take on Ornette Coleman? He just died, ya know. People seem to be wildly split on him. He is either a genius or a self-indulgent hack.

when I hear Ornette Coleman I always think of Frank Zappa although more likely it was Ornette that infuenced Frank. I like him but I wouldn't know what to call him... ...GREAT.

I am a believer of the former.

I have Getz's "Sweet Rain" CD and was listening to it just a couple of nights ago.

I think I also have his CD with Bill Evans.

I'm rockin' some Charles Mingus bass right now.
Mingus was the the first Jazz musician I could hear a hard driving edge (he rocked) and influenced me to look further into Jazz, Now I hear that edge in quite a few jazz mucisians (Ornette hits that edge from time to time).

Thanks for the post, amigo.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
DollarStoreSushi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 9:52:16 AM
I guess I tend to gravitate more toward the traditional "Bop" and "Hard Bop" guys. From the so-called Golden Age, like the 1940s to the late 60s.
Yeah, I like a lot of stuff from that era too.

Bechet was one of the great innovators back in the day. I was first turned on to him from waching that great Ken Burns 10-part PBS Documentary on Jazz that ran several years ago. (I went out and bought that box-set CD too, after I watched the series.) It really helped me learn a lot about Jazz and its origins and history. I go back to it all the time.

Its a great documentary, I've seen it too. Ive always really liked the clarinet, thats how I heard about Bechet. I fell in love with him as soon as I heard Petite Fleur.

Thanks for your post.

BTW: do you play an instrument? I am a rock drummer by trade but a few years ago began getting into Jazz stand-up Bass. I am rockin' it to some Mingus right now.

You're welcome. I learned piano when I was younger. But I don't really play any music now. Mostly Im just an appreciator of music.
MatthewWally
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:51:49 PM
I'm still into the stuff that introduced me to jazz, the old big band sound. My favorite big band artist is and I imagine will remain Glenn Miller, because while his music wasn't as improvisational and he came under fire for not being "jazzy" enough, his use of the clarinet in the saxophone section displays expert harmony and make his music, ballads in particular exceptional. Along with Miller, I also enjoy Artie Shaw and Tommy Dorsey.
Apart from swing I also enjoy bossa nova, artists like Stan Getz (as I do play tenor saxophone) and especially Vince Guaraldi.
Cool/West Coast Jazz as well remains one of my favorite forms.
So to sum it up:
Vince Guaraldi, Glenn Miller, Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Artie Shaw, Paul Desmond
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:25:57 PM
At 6/29/2015 8:51:49 PM, MatthewWally wrote:
I'm still into the stuff that introduced me to jazz, the old big band sound. My favorite big band artist is and I imagine will remain Glenn Miller, because while his music wasn't as improvisational and he came under fire for not being "jazzy" enough, his use of the clarinet in the saxophone section displays expert harmony and make his music, ballads in particular exceptional. Along with Miller, I also enjoy Artie Shaw and Tommy Dorsey.
Apart from swing I also enjoy bossa nova, artists like Stan Getz (as I do play tenor saxophone) and especially Vince Guaraldi.
So to sum it up:

I am envious of your sax playing. I have always wanted to take it up. I am a drummer by trade.

Getz is one of my favorites! I always liked the West Coast Mellow Jazz sound. I have always said he is my favorite white boy sax player! LOL

A shame he died before his time. (A common curse in the Jazz world, it seems).
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:28:56 PM
At 6/29/2015 9:25:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:51:49 PM, MatthewWally wrote:
So to sum it up:

I am envious of your sax playing. I have always wanted to take it up. I am a drummer by trade.

Getz is one of my favorites! I always liked the West Coast Mellow Jazz sound. I have always said he is my favorite white boy sax player! LOL

A shame he died before his time. (A common curse in the Jazz world, it seems).

Get a taste of this........

https://www.youtube.com...
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 11:03:11 AM
At 6/16/2015 9:55:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Het cats...

Although weened on rock and roll, I got into Jazz several years ago and am a huge fan. I listen to it whenever I can..though it is difficult to find it on the radio anymore. usually only on KNPR or perhaps a local college station. I listen to a lot on the internet--Youtube.

A drummer..I began playing stand-up bass a couple years ago. I want to get into a local Jazz quartet soon.

Who do ya like?

My guys....Bird; Coltrane; Miles Davis; Ornette Coleman (RIP); Charles Mingus; Thelonius Monk; Sonny Rollins; Sonny Stitt; Herbie Hancock; Weather Report.

Drew.
Yes!

And includes Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Charlie Parker, Stan Getz, and Benny Goodman.

My favorite is the Swedish-American latin jazz (A style probably popular in your area) performer Cal Tjader. . My favorite album of his is not latin jazz though. It's an early 60's (favorite jazz time period) album called Breeze From The East. The music has an oriental style to it, without the over-the-top western musical depiction of Asian music (like I Think I'm Turning Japanese by the Vapors) we hear in western pop-songs, musicals, etc.

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 11:42:48 AM
At 7/1/2015 11:03:11 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.
Yes!

My favorite is the Swedish-American latin jazz (A style probably popular in your area) performer Cal Tjader. . My favorite album of his is not latin jazz though. It's an early 60's (favorite jazz time period) album called Breeze From The East. The music has an oriental style to it, without the over-the-top western musical depiction of Asian music (like I Think I'm Turning Japanese by the Vapors) we hear in western pop-songs, musicals, etc.

Thanks Rod!

I'm listening to Breeze right now. Good stuff--very original. Not even sure if it's Jazz. But I get a lot of different "threads" from it. Including some Middle Easter influence, and, strangely enough (well, maybe not so stranger when you consider the title and the pic) a bit of Surf Rock too! LOL.

I have Charlie Parker's "Strings at Birdland" on deck.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:02:06 PM
At 7/1/2015 11:42:48 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.
Yes!

Thanks Rod!

I'm listening to Breeze right now. Good stuff--very original. Not even sure if it's Jazz. But I get a lot of different "threads" from it. Including some Middle Easter influence, and, strangely enough (well, maybe not so stranger when you consider the title and the pic) a bit of Surf Rock too! LOL.

Yes, the idea of it not being jazz struck me as well. I don't know if it's labeled as jazz by default of Tjader being a jazz musician, but I think technically by definition (whatever that entails) it probably still is. It just doesn't have that conventional jazz sound that involves a lot of wind instrumentation.

The song "Cha" does have a surf rock/go go music sound to it.

I like Charlie Parker a lot. If you haven't seen it yet, the Ken Burn's PBS documentary on "Jazz" is a good watch. It covers the whole era, dixieland, big band, to modern, and all the greats like Charlie Parker.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:36:52 PM
At 7/2/2015 12:02:06 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.
Yes!

Thanks Rod!

Yes, the idea of it not being jazz struck me as well. I don't know if it's labeled as jazz by default of Tjader being a jazz musician, but I think technically by definition (whatever that entails) it probably still is. It just doesn't have that conventional jazz sound that involves a lot of wind instrumentation.

I like Charlie Parker a lot. If you haven't seen it yet, the Ken Burn's PBS documentary on "Jazz" is a good watch. It covers the whole era, dixieland, big band, to modern, and all the greats like Charlie Parker.

Oh yeah...I am well familiar with the Ken Burns Documentary.

In fact, I own the box-set on DVD. I bought it several years ago after watching the series on PBS. I also have the CD boxed-set, and the accompanying Booklet.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:59:41 PM
At 7/2/2015 12:36:52 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.
Yes!

Thanks Rod!

In fact, I own the box-set on DVD. I bought it several years ago after watching the series on PBS. I also have the CD boxed-set, and the accompanying Booklet.
That doesn't surprise me. You seem pretty knowledgeable about jazz.

Have you seen a movie called All Night Long?

It has some of the big names of that day like Dave Brubeck and Thelonious Monk.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 1:15:02 PM
At 7/2/2015 12:59:41 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 7/2/2015 12:36:52 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.
Yes!

Thanks Rod!

That doesn't surprise me. You seem pretty knowledgeable about jazz.

Have you seen a movie called All Night Long?

It has some of the big names of that day like Dave Brubeck and Thelonious Monk.

Gracias, amigo...I will check it out muy pronto!
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 2:07:03 PM
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.

Used to play in a jazz band (trumpet), but I feel like jazz has become pretty generic and boring. It's become its own thing with its own rigid rules. All the solos and progressions start to sound like common patterns and the novelty has pretty much completely worn off with me.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 7:03:20 PM
At 7/12/2015 2:07:03 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.

Used to play in a jazz band (trumpet), but I feel like jazz has become pretty generic and boring. It's become its own thing with its own rigid rules. All the solos and progressions start to sound like common patterns and the novelty has pretty much completely worn off with me.

I agree with your opinion of Jazz today. Way too watered down for my tastes. that' why, as I said, I usually listen to the old school guys from the 40s-late 60s. The bop and hard bop dudes.

You being a trumpeter, I guess you must be a Miles Davis fan? I listened to "Kinda Blue" last night while studying. Great stuff. I also have a Terrence Blanchard CD called "A Tale of God's Will"" which is a sort of homage to post-Katrina new Orleans. It is the best newer Jazz trumpet I have heard in a long time. You should check it out.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 8:01:27 PM
At 7/12/2015 7:03:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.

I agree with your opinion of Jazz today. Way too watered down for my tastes. that' why, as I said, I usually listen to the old school guys from the 40s-late 60s. The bop and hard bop dudes.

You being a trumpeter, I guess you must be a Miles Davis fan? I listened to "Kinda Blue" last night while studying. Great stuff. I also have a Terrence Blanchard CD called "A Tale of God's Will"" which is a sort of homage to post-Katrina new Orleans. It is the best newer Jazz trumpet I have heard in a long time. You should check it out.

I'll check that out, and yes, I'm a fan of Davis. Actually, my first major was in trumpet, before I switched into mathematics, which is a fact that not many people know =)
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 8:14:44 PM
At 7/12/2015 8:01:27 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 7/12/2015 7:03:20 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Het cats...

Who do ya like?

Drew.

I'll check that out, and yes, I'm a fan of Davis. Actually, my first major was in trumpet, before I switched into mathematics, which is a fact that not many people know =)

This is my favorite track from "A Tale of God's Will"