Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Fine tune your writing skills on this forum?

j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 7:37:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just wondering if there are any other writers out there. I am passionate about writing. I'll admit that my apartment is my writing cave and that sometimes it becomes my isolated haven for writing night and day.
I enjoy writing fiction, but sometimes my imagination muscles get worn out. When that happens I turn to writing non-fiction, which inevitably leads me to posting on blogs, and writing on this forum.
Anyone else out there on this forum for the same reasons? Do you think that blogging can help you fine tune your writing skills? What say you?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:23:58 PM
At 7/4/2015 7:37:13 PM, j50wells wrote:
Just wondering if there are any other writers out there. I am passionate about writing. I'll admit that my apartment is my writing cave and that sometimes it becomes my isolated haven for writing night and day.
I enjoy writing fiction, but sometimes my imagination muscles get worn out. When that happens I turn to writing non-fiction, which inevitably leads me to posting on blogs, and writing on this forum.
Anyone else out there on this forum for the same reasons? Do you think that blogging can help you fine tune your writing skills? What say you?

Yes, I too love writing. I also take every opportunity I can to practice and improve upon those skills. And I must admit that I have found DDO to be an excellent tool for that.

I am also taking a Creative Writing Honors class this Fall at a local college. And I have been working on a novel for about a year now. I have already gotten a contract-to-publish with Penguin. As well as a small advance they gave me after reading some galley proofs.

It is a sci-fi novel. Its working title is "If you Can't Stand the Heat" and is basically about a young man--and fledgling rock musician--living in California who accidently finds some documentation at his workplace, which proves the Government is involved in a cover-up on the Global Warming process, which is far worse than the public has realized. Due in part to their altering of thermometers (!) and also forcing TV and Radio weather broadcasters to report lower-than=actual temps!

The kid's name is Kyle Ruffin. His rock band is called "Ruffin Ready."

And of course, once Kyle tries to go public with his findings, the Men in Black close in! LOL

It is going to be published in the YA genre. And Penguin has proposed I possibly do a series of "Ruffin Ready" books where he continues to discover Conspiracies.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 5:22:26 PM
At 7/11/2015 11:23:58 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Yes, I too love writing. I also take every opportunity I can to practice and improve upon those skills. And I must admit that I have found DDO to be an excellent tool for that.

I am also taking a Creative Writing Honors class this Fall at a local college. And I have been working on a novel for about a year now. I have already gotten a contract-to-publish with Penguin. As well as a small advance they gave me after reading some galley proofs.

It is a sci-fi novel. Its working title is "If you Can't Stand the Heat" and is basically about a young man--and fledgling rock musician--living in California who accidently finds some documentation at his workplace, which proves the Government is involved in a cover-up on the Global Warming process, which is far worse than the public has realized. Due in part to their altering of thermometers (!) and also forcing TV and Radio weather broadcasters to report lower-than=actual temps!

The kid's name is Kyle Ruffin. His rock band is called "Ruffin Ready."

And of course, once Kyle tries to go public with his findings, the Men in Black close in! LOL

It is going to be published in the YA genre. And Penguin has proposed I possibly do a series of "Ruffin Ready" books where he continues to discover Conspiracies.

Very good. I hope that works out. I couldn't get a publisher. I had to self-publish, which I hear is what so many writers have to do now a-days. I have book called The Great Swearing Poets at all of the local bookstores in Denver.

I am starting to realize that to get published and become a successful writer, one must write, and write, and write. They must expunge the old writing that seemed so excellent at the time, but now looks like something out of the dung-hole.
I admit that some writers are just natural, kinda like the football player that never had to try. But for me, I have resigned myself to the fact that I have ability but not excellence. And to get that excellence I will have to write, write, write, and fine tune my skills with a writing comb. I don't mind. Writing is a hobby to me. The TV bores me. Give me a pen and paper, or in modern society a PC and keyboard, and I'll be happy.
beachparty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:08:44 PM

I enjoy writing. I find my writing skills have developed by reading but more so by practicing everyday and being a bit of a free styler. i.e writing poems on the spot no planning it really gets your creative juices going. I'm going to start blogging sharpen my writing skills
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 7:04:18 PM

yes I do try to use DDO as sort of a opportunity to practice my writing. I was never very good at english and writing in school, when I went that is! lol. but math for some reason comes easier to me. spelling I was always specially bad at so its good to use word check to see when I make a mistake and then try to remember from it. I do alot of my DDO here at my Crossfit Box when Im back here behind the counter or if its slow and my partner is on the floor. when I went to college to get my phys. ed. degree I swear I had to get a tutor in just about evry class except for the P.E. stuff and math. they said my reading/writing level when I was a freshman in college was only at 9th grade level so I had to take some remediel stuff. I didnt care about good grades in english as a kid--or in anything! but nowdays I try to improve myself, make the most of what God gave me. and as a way too to thank Him for Saving me.
God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
vrj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 9:29:18 AM
because some writer express their feeling and there works
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 10:48:50 AM
I think it behoves all bloggers and any who seek to communicate on the web to make an effort at good expression. I find punctuation difficult to master inspite of good examples in literature semi- colons and the use of commas throws me. Spelling is also not easy for me and I'm often unaware of my errors.