Jump to topic:

Jazz versus Classical *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 5:37:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Which form of music do you believe is more sophisticated. Jazz is a very spiritual, crafty, clever, and complex form of music. You have greats like Miles Davis,
John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Baker, Ella Fitzgerald, and Dizzy Gillespie just to name a few. Based upon what you know and can compare, which form of music is more sophisticated in your view.
THsea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2015 9:40:24 AM
They are simply forms, both can be as complex as the artist.

Some people think Jazz is more... artistic, due to improvisation. However Classical has improvisation too. Cadenza's are traditionally filled in with the soloist improvising.

Jazz is built off of the Classical traditions scales. Which is built off the medieval tradition of Modes, which builds on ancient Greek music. This is all for western music traditions. Eastern scales are a bit different.

I like your list of jazz artists, my favorite is Eric Dolphy. He was a Jazz saxophone player, but I like him 'cause he plays my main instrument too. Flute!
https://www.youtube.com...

He has some crazier songs, but I figured this would be sufficient.
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 3:35:21 PM
Improvisation, to me, is not particularly sophisticated. It is instinctual. I've learned licks on the guitar, I have a certain style, and playing this way is like riding a bike. If you heard me play for a few minutes, you might hear me do a lot of different things. But, if you listened longer, you would notice that there's just certain things I tend to do and it becomes more predictable. In a sense, while the music is improvisational, it is also rehearsed. I could challenge myself and go out of my comfort zone, but still ..

This may be due to my limitations as a musician, but I assume the same goes for other people too. You have a musical toolbox of ability and you use that to improvise. However, sophistication to me means educated, complex. It means taking those tools and doing someting more than a whim or knee-jerk reaction - really build something. For myself to feel that something I do was truly musically sophisticated, I would like to challenge myself and probably the standard pop-format of music as well.

That's just how I feel, but based on that, I tend to think of composed music as more sophisticated. I think of composed jazz as more sophisticated than improvised jazz. I also tend to think of classical music, like say Stravinsky's Rite of Springs, as more sophisticated than Miles Davis A Kind of Blue.

But both are wonderful.